Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If that is the rule (leg extended outside the shoulder width) then I agree it should have been called a kick. Again, the league and the refs need to lean into CC. It is the only way forward for them. And I don't love that that's the case, as a guy who is anti-Iowa and not a big fan of CC for various reasons, but it's a fact. I mean, they could continue to treat her like she's just another player and not a g.o.a.t. level prospect the likes of which the WNBA has never seen (she isn't) but it will be at their own detriment. They can try again in a few years when Juju Watkins comes out.

Didn’t the wnba start in the 90’s? Theyve been through like 10 of these superstars. It’s women’s basketball in the summer. There’s a cap that even if reached isn’t very high.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Didn’t the wnba start in the 90’s? Theyve been through like 10 of these superstars. It’s women’s basketball in the summer. There’s a cap that even if reached isn’t very high.

Several Iowa fans I work with have already checked out. They still support the hell out of Clark and follow box scores but they are done wasting time on a unwatchable product.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Not sure about those, but the kicked ball that wasn't called a kicked ball by the ref who was looking right at it at the opening of the Fever v. Sun game was something else, lol.

I don’t see a kicked ball here. Good no call IMO.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Several Iowa fans I work with have already checked out. They still support the hell out of Clark and follow box scores but they are done wasting time on a unwatchable product.
WNBA feels like the late 90s and early aughts NBA. Very physical with the defense being allowed to restrict a lot of movement. Not much fun to watch.

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
But Liberty vs Fever regular season is riveting??? Jokic, Edwards and Haliburton are boring?

I'll never understand the loathing some have for NBA basketball. Makes me wonder if they've never actually watched a playoff series.
Or played hoops.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
WNBA feels like the late 90s and early aughts NBA. Very physical with the defense being allowed to restrict a lot of movement. Not much fun to watch.
This, plus at the end of the day, they just aren't as athletically explosive or as exciting to watch as the male counterpart. Below the rim basketball play can only be so popular. What happened the last couple of seasons with Clark and the Iowa women shattering viewership records might become a true unexplainable phenomenon type of thing.

Reactions: iahawks

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This, plus at the end of the day, they just aren't as athletically explosive or as exciting to watch as the male counterpart. Below the rim basketball play can only be so popular. What happened the last couple of seasons with Clark and the Iowa women shattering viewership records might become a true unexplainable phenomenon type of thing.

95% media dollars driven. Classic “you need this, you don’t know why you need this, you’ve never needed this before, but everyone else has this” marketing play. Boy band stuff.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I have the same thing going on with a lot of Iowa fans I know, its really hard to watch below the rim basketball and all kinds of reasons. People also have better things to do than watching a poor product when the weather is nice as well.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's hard to think otherwise honestly. The league has had stars before. Growing up I read a lot about Sheryl Swoopes, Lisa Leslie, Tina Thompson, Chamique Holdsclaw, Rebecca Lobo etc in SI for Kids. But whenever I tried to watch them play it was dull compared to the men's game. That is just how my natural 10 year old boy brain viewed it back then and I'm not sure I find it to be any different now, nor if the rest of the country does.

It is more interesting to watch them play collegiately because of things like being passionate for the school you attended or root for honestly. There is no tie like that in the WNBA, at least not for me. I don't even have a favorite NBA team for that matter.
I may get ripped for this but there are two things that are big sellers. The first is an exciting or fun atmosphere. This usually is centered by a high quality product. Right now many men do deem this high quality.

So, either they need to get women to start following WNBA to the level men do or go the route women’s golf went 20 years ago to get it on the map and relevant for awhile. They made people like Natalie Guilbis and others their poster child’s, and I mean literal poster. They had her in SI swimsuit with body paint. As much as it sounds sexist, men will pay attention if they think the women are attractive. It may not be what people want to hear but it happens.

So the second option is to make brinks and a couple more with model looks to be the face of the WNBA and try to draw men that way.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It became the “it” thing. You wanted to be seen at games. You didn’t care if you had any clue of its existence, just needed to be with the cool kids.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I may get ripped for this but there are two things that are big sellers. The first is an exciting or fun atmosphere. This usually is centered by a high quality product. Right now many men do deem this high quality.

So, either they need to get women to start following WNBA to the level men do or go the route women’s golf went 20 years ago to get it on the map and relevant for awhile. They made people like Natalie Guilbis and others their poster child’s, and I mean literal poster. They had her in SI swimsuit with body paint. As much as it sounds sexist, men will pay attention if they think the women are attractive. It may not be what people want to hear but it happens.

So the second option is to make brinks and a couple more with model looks to be the face of the WNBA and try to draw men that way.
It certainly couldn't hurt. My god, some of the women though...and God bless Clark, but he did not necessarily bless her.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I am not sure why you guys want CC to keep getting away with crap like cursing at refs and offensive fouls on every drive for the good of the league. Not sure why some of the other players would want to play under a different set of rules for them than CC. She already makes millions more than them. Might be better to just play overseas all year. CC can then get her big stats and super hype over lesser competition.

Looking at the box, I assume Jewell Loyd, who was a #1 draft pick nine years ago, was the best player in the game. I think Notre Dame went to the Final Four every year she was there. She also has been on two WNBA championship teams. Great player with a lesser PR machine behind her.

Last edited:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Perhaps what would help is for TV/networks/broadcasters/directors/producers is to broaden their scope of interesting plays, players and teams. Show more of what's happening with the other rookies occasionally. They earned their way to team, too. Let the generally wbb-ignorant fans see how others play and what happens. All the eggs in one basket, etc. doesn't usually end well.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Looked clean. Lol.
Looked like a basketball play in a grown adult league. No way are professional athletes (men or women) going to let a media created sensation have an easy path. Clark is going to have to earn her accolades.

I realize the media hype has initially been great for the WNBA, but probably creates a lot of resentment from fellow players. Even her teammates.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Looked like a basketball play in a grown adult league. No way are professional athletes (men or women) going to let a media created sensation have an easy path. Clark is going to have to earn her accolades.

I realize the media hype has initially been great for the WNBA, but probably creates a lot of resentment from fellow players. Even her teammates.
Maybe a basketball play, but also very reckless. I could see an above the shoulder on something like that. Regardless, these players seem to have it out for CC.

Help Support Us

Become a patron