Top Gun 2: Maverick

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Oh yeah, I played that game all the time and eventually defeated it. If I remember correctly there are only 5 missions

I think 5 missions is right. I used to be able to put that Tomcat on the deck with my eyes closed but damn that game was hard as hell.

Reactions: Cdiedrick

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Why is nobody talking about the fact that Pete Mitchell isn't even the second best fighter pilot to come out of the 80's? Those honors obviously go to Doug Masters and Chappy Sinclair.

Reactions: 247cy

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
giphy.gif

Next season of Archer HAS to be themed around Top Gun.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Why is nobody talking about the fact that Pete Mitchell isn't even the second best fighter pilot to come out of the 80's? Those honors obviously go to Doug Masters and Chappy Sinclair.

Reread the thread. It has been brought up. Chappy first off was shot down. Sinclair never even went to top gun bro.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Why would I want to at all? People complaining about stuff being unrealistic in movies are seriously the worst. Of course it's not realistic. If it were it'd be boring.

Right. Like they are willing to ignore the fact that some movies have Aliens that can turn into trucks and cars and transform into huge robot fight people. But not Tom Cruise flying an airplane at an older age.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Reread the thread. It has been brought up. Chappy first off was shot down. Sinclair never even went to top gun bro.

Top Gun is a Naval program, my man Chappy was a USAF pilot. Secondly, Chappy basically went on a suicide mission to take the heat off of young Doug Masters.

Last edited:
Reactions: arobb

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I may be wrong, but I think that's him just after the "classroom" scene (~1.26). It's not Maverick, insignia on the uni is wrong. Looks like 3 stars. Maverick is still a captain.

Yeah that might be him.

BTW the one thing I do like about the Trailer is they address a few issues I have already ask.

1. Why at this point this many years later would Maverick be flying airplanes when he should be way higher ranked. Basically, they are showing he is still the wild man aviator.

2. What planes are they flying

3. Has some of the flight scenes inmproved.

The first top gun was so solid on them catching great flying scenes. However, they were not giviin much to work with. I watched a documentary where most of that stuff is the same video just from different angles. The Navy barely let them work on it. They gave them a few flights and said good luck. It appears the Navy is all in on this one and gave them the proper access to the guys flying.

BTW I am hearing Tom was not the nicest guy to the people on the aircraft carrier while he was on board and some of them might protest this movie.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I may be wrong, but I think that's him just after the "classroom" scene (~1.26). It's not Maverick, insignia on the uni is wrong. Looks like 3 stars. Maverick is still a captain.

Never mind, I was initially confused by your post, thinking you were implying that Maverick was "still" a Captain going back to the original movie, which would't make any sense since he was a Lieutenant in the first movie, the difference being 2 stripes vs 4. Clearly you meant "still a captain" as opposed to an Admiral.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yeah that might be him.

BTW the one thing I do like about the Trailer is they address a few issues I have already ask.

1. Why at this point this many years later would Maverick be flying airplanes when he should be way higher ranked. Basically, they are showing he is still the wild man aviator.

2. What planes are they flying

3. Has some of the flight scenes inmproved.

The first top gun was so solid on them catching great flying scenes. However, they were not giviin much to work with. I watched a documentary where most of that stuff is the same video just from different angles. The Navy barely let them work on it. They gave them a few flights and said good luck. It appears the Navy is all in on this one and gave them the proper access to the guys flying.

BTW I am hearing Tom was not the nicest guy to the people on the aircraft carrier while he was on board and some of them might protest this movie.

I don't know what the military's attitude towards Hollywood was in the 1980s, but it has greatly shifted its working relationship over the years when movies are going to have a positive portrayal, including assigning advisers. This was especially evident with the Air Force's involvement with Stargate and the Navy's involvement with JAG.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I don't know what the military's attitude towards Hollywood was in the 1980s, but it has greatly shifted its working relationship over the years when movies are going to have a positive portrayal, including assigning advisers. This was especially evident with the Air Force's involvement with Stargate and the Navy's involvement with JAG.

That and when Top Gun came out it had a dramatic shift in people wanting to become fighter pilots and increased the number of qualified candidates so they could get the best.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

Here's one though...why the Marine funeral detail? Mav and all his homies were Navy. New character gets killed? Mav's son/daughter is a Marine aviator and get's killed?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
So he's giving Pete the business for being a captain. What was Vipers rank?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Here's one though...why the Marine funeral detail? Mav and all his homies were Navy. New character gets killed? Mav's son/daughter is a Marine aviator and get's killed?

I have done several Navy details as a Marine. It's pretty common. Pending what personel is available in that area. I will have to watch the movie to get a better idea. However, I have done detail with Half Navy, Half Marines. If it's a highly decorated Navy person, they might use 8th and I out of Washington DC since they are the dog and pony show Marines and they want it to be spot on.

Reactions: weR138

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Kind of disappointed I was hoping this was about Maverick flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog crap out of hong kong.

• Funny
Reactions: CloneIce

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron