Too soon to give PR a big raise?

quartercy

Nov 28, 2011
I am a big PR fan and think he is a great fit for the program. I think he is making progress and is a guy that is easy to like and route for....

But I also am hoping the best is yet to come. I can pick out a few key games each of the last three years that gives me hope. On the flip side I can pick out a few games each year where ISU has gotten torched and part of that torching comes from ISU losing combined with more talented team winning.

if you put his resume down on paper and take the name and emotions out of it. strong experience as assistant, lots of intangibles that I would think any school would want. Bowl game 2 out of 3 years, 3 years head coach, a few stake in the ground wins.

Flip side..finishing towards bottom of the league in recruiting and results. lost to IA 2 out of 3 years. Team still a bit weak on turnovers and penalties during tenure.

I think this is accurate....1-1 against nebrasks, 1 and 2 against tx, winless against missouri, kstate, a and m baylor, 2-1 against tx teck I think. winless against OU. 1 and 2 against o state. 1-2 against iowa. not sure on his head coaching record without looking but I am guessing just slightly under 500.

I guess their is an argument to give him a raise regardless of if others want him or not and I would guess he is on track for whatever goals he and JP set out...but what is your expectation for the next 2 years if we give him a raise? better than 500 each year? 8 wins? 9 wins?

also who in the big 12 should he be paid more than? Kansas? Baylor? tech? I would say he is worth more to ISU than another team so really comes down to what can ISU afford, when and what does PR think is a fair value.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Rhoads has to want it first. All indications are CPR turned down a pay raise last offseason in favor of JP using that money to upgrade facilities.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
A BIG raise, I can see your point. But the guy deserves to be better than the last amongst Big 12 coaching salaries, so he deserves a raise of some sort.

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
Fans in the stands is also a huge part of this. Yes, CPR and his staff deserve a raise.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Rhoads has to want it first. All indications are CPR turned down a pay raise last offseason in favor of JP using that money to upgrade facilities.
Smart move.

Better facilities...

...better recruits...

...more wins...

...equals bigger payday down the road.

jgfeilmeier

Oct 19, 2009
I am a big PR fan and think he is a great fit for the program. I think he is making progress and is a guy that is easy to like and route for....

But I also am hoping the best is yet to come. I can pick out a few key games each of the last three years that gives me hope. On the flip side I can pick out a few games each year where ISU has gotten torched and part of that torching comes from ISU losing combined with more talented team winning.

if you put his resume down on paper and take the name and emotions out of it. strong experience as assistant, lots of intangibles that I would think any school would want. Bowl game 2 out of 3 years, 3 years head coach, a few stake in the ground wins.

Flip side..finishing towards bottom of the league in recruiting and results. lost to IA 2 out of 3 years. Team still a bit weak on turnovers and penalties during tenure.

I think this is accurate....1-1 against nebrasks, 1 and 2 against tx, winless against missouri, kstate, a and m baylor, 2-1 against tx teck I think. winless against OU. 1 and 2 against o state. 1-2 against iowa. not sure on his head coaching record without looking but I am guessing just slightly under 500.

I guess their is an argument to give him a raise regardless of if others want him or not and I would guess he is on track for whatever goals he and JP set out...but what is your expectation for the next 2 years if we give him a raise? better than 500 each year? 8 wins? 9 wins?

also who in the big 12 should he be paid more than? Kansas? Baylor? tech? I would say he is worth more to ISU than another team so really comes down to what can ISU afford, when and what does PR think is a fair value.

HE PUT BUTTS IN SEATS (OVER 52000) AVERAGE FOR THE YEAR THAT IS A RECORD FOR ISU,REVENUE IS ABOUT TO DOUBLE .IF HE DOES NOT GET A RAISE HE IS OURS TO LOSE.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
He deserves, but does everybody really feel a raise can keep a coach?? Contracts and raises don't mean anything, except when they get fired.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I too think Rhoads wants the money put into facilities, and hopefully assistant salaries.

With that said, I would be surprised if he didn't get a raise and extension to around 1.5 million per year.

Jeffreyisu

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
HE PUT BUTTS IN SEATS (OVER 52000) AVERAGE FOR THE YEAR THAT IS A RECORD FOR ISU,REVENUE IS ABOUT TO DOUBLE .IF HE DOES NOT GET A RAISE HE IS OURS TO LOSE.

First of all, please stop yelling, lol.

Second of all, averaging over 52,000 people does not double revenue; we averaged way more than 26,000/game last year plus thousands of the tickets sold for the last 2 games this year were at low promotional ticket prices.

However, yes, an increase in revenue.

WeedCyntist

Sep 10, 2011
Gilbert, IA
He deserves, but does everybody really feel a raise can keep a coach?? Contracts and raises don't mean anything, except when they get fired.

I don't think a raise can keep a coach but it can help make him feel valued for the job he is doing. The big thing is hoping he doesn't think the grass is greener somewhere else. I do believe he wants to build a program and I think that is commendable.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
This would be the WRONG time for Iowa State to get cheap. Unfortunately they need to do whatever CPR wants. He has all the leverage. This is why Iowa is never going to fire or put heat on Ferentz even though he's overpaid. They know damn well they are 1 bad hire away from being Minnesota. Losing CPR could send this program back to the mid 90s.

I'm sure JP will take care of it.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I would bump his base salary to around 1.5 million/year. Give his assistants a raise. And then have some really nice incentives in the contract based on performance/wins.

jgfeilmeier

Oct 19, 2009

Second of all, averaging over 52,000 people does not double revenue; we averaged way more than 26,000/game last year plus thousands of the tickets sold for the last 2 games this year were at low promotional ticket prices.

You are forgetting next year the big 12 is going to split the tv revenue equaly

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If this happens it will be after this week. JP is not going to bother CPR during game week, even if it is great news that "hey, we're giving you a big chunk of change". If CPR actually interviews this week or sets something up for M or T of next week, we pretty much hosed at that time. A coach, content where they are, will not wreck prep time or season wrap up to interview.

I see Rhoads, and staff, to get a raise in about week and a half if JP is going to do it. Raising the assistants wages will show a commitment to Rhoads program and most successful coaches seem to have very little turnover in their staff.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm with this and others that say if CPR is happy let the man be. Let's not forget we are still just barely a .500 football team and still not at .500 in the B12.

I'm all for a bit of a raise but unless he is demanding a big raise I think it may be a smarter move to save some of the money for other items.

If he starts pulling off B12 titles then by all means fire away money at will!

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I have always believed a raise would come after the season, and after the new ISU President is known. That will be next week. Not sure if CPR will want to discuss it in detail while doing bowl prep or not, so may have a verbal agreement with the details to be worked out in January. I think an extension is needed this off season to secure recruiting. Recruits want to know the university is as committed to the coach as the recruit will be.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
I don't think that a HUGE raise is in order, but I think he needs to be recognized for what he's brought to this program. Honestly, as cheesy as it sounds, he's brought hope and character to an otherwise sterile program under Chizik. I'd agree with the 1.5 mil plus incentives package.

Also, a tidbit. CPR is the winning-est coach at Iowa State (.536) since Charles Mayser, who coached from 1915-1919 (.647). Give the man a raise.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Actually, we've always sold those promotional tickets. While im sure they helped this year too, the big difference maker was the record-setting season ticket sales for this year.

Beyond that, revenue is more than tickets. Even if you gave away the ticket, how much does the average fan pay in parking, concessions, merchandise, etc?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Fun with Big 12 coaching salaries! - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

Look at the list of salaries. Unless CPR specifically says to Pollard 'i dont need any more money, give it to X project or assistant', i would think a salary bump to 2 million would be appropriate (assuming we could afford it). Even that is still going to be near the bottom of B12 coaching salaries, but at least itd put our salary back in the ballpark of other big 12 coaches). Its amazing not just that we're in the bottom of pay (thats no huge surprise) but how far off we are from the rest of the pack in this area.