Tom Shatel: Is this the beginning of the end for Nebraska in the Big Ten?

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
It takes a long time to make up a 80-100MM hit due to no football and possibly no BB though.
$100+M according to their AD Moos. They have stated that they have roughly $85M in reserves, so the hit isn't critical as long as sports gets going in 2021. The desperation here is simply fans wanting football this fall.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I forgot their first crappy Big Ten team made the championship game.

2nd team. Just checked and they were 3rd in their division first year of B1G play.

Got rolled up by a marginal Wisky team in the 2012 B1G Title Game. .

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Tom Shatel is an ******* writing for an audience of ********. **** Nebraska.

Don't look to the Big 12 to throw them a life jacket. They abandoned ship like cowards and now want back on board because we didn't sink?

**** em.

**** em.

**** em.

Oh I don't mind them back. Just make sure they don't get the same benefits for quite some time. I'd love to see a road game in Lincoln some day.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The two big advantages UN had over the rest of the old 8 schools was the unequal revenue distribution and their ability to bring in the prop 48 athletes. They did an unbelievable job bringing in those kids that did not qualify out of HS and getting their grades up to being able to play.

One of the first things UT wanted to get rid of was the prop 48 students, ISU did not take prop 48 students, UN went to ISU, KSU and KU to get them to vote with UN to stop the proposal. The three schools agreed to support UN over this IF, UN would support the change to equal sharing of TV revenue. The vote before had been 8 to 4, and they needed 9 teams to pass any rule change. UN always voted against equal revenue, and said they could not vote for it now. So ISU, KU and KSU voted to end the prop 48 kids, it passed 11-1, with UN being the only school opposed to it.

UN started to feel that they had lost control of the league, saw OU siding with UT instead of them, and like a jilted former lover, wanted out and the greener and weaker, they thought, pastures of the Big 10. They never imagined that the Big 10 would give them a schedule that all but assured they would struggle those first 4 years, and they did.

UN also lost a critical lifeblood of their recruiting which was the state of Texas, before about 25% of their roster was made up of Texas HS players, when the switch to the Big 10 occurred, that fertile recruiting ground dried up for Nebraska.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The two big advantages UN had over the rest of the old 8 schools was the unequal revenue distribution and their ability to bring in the prop 48 athletes. They di an unbelievable job bringing in those kids that did not qualify out of HS and getting their grades up to being able to play.

One of the first things UT wanted to get rid of was the prop 48 students, ISU did not take prop 48 students, UN went to ISU, KSU and KU to get them to vote with UN to stop the proposal. The three schools agreed to support UN over this IF, UN would support the change to equal sharing of TV revenue. The vote before had been 8 to 4, and they needed 9 teams to pass any rule change. UN always voted against equal revenue, and said they could not vote for it now. So ISU, KU and KSU voted to end the prop 48 kids, it passed 11-1, with UN being the only school opposed to it.

UN started to feel that they had lost control of the league, saw OU siding with UT instead of them, and like a jilted former lover, wanted out and the greener and weaker, they thought, pastures of the Big 10. They never imagined that the Big 10 would give them a schedule that all but assured they would struggle those first 4 years, and they did.

UN also lost a critical lifeblood of their recruiting which was the state of Texas, before about 25% of their roster was made up of Texas HS players, when the switch to the Big 10 occurred, that fertile recruiting ground dried up for Nebraska.

Troy Davis says "Hi".

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Tom Shatel is an ******* writing for an audience of ********. **** Nebraska.

Don't look to the Big 12 to throw them a life jacket. They abandoned ship like cowards and now want back on board because we didn't sink?

**** em.

**** em.

**** em.

Been giving this more thought.

Ah, just kidding "**** Nebraska!"

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
As a piece of advice, you don’t want to go a game in Lincoln. The fan base is note obnoxious than even Iowa fans and the stadium is dump

I've heard stories both ways. Same with Manhattan. I've been there four times and have had great experiences with KSU fans. Others have told me its a nightmare.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
So God's gift to football married God's gift to athletics conferences and both sides can't get along?

We'll I'll be darned.

That said I'd welcome them back. NU vs OU was something special when astroturf was concrete sandpaper and the wishbone was unstoppable.

Come on home, Bugeaters

Reactions: CyBobby

Chapanye

Apr 11, 2012
Undisclosed
Add Nebraska and Cincy and then you can do the north/south thing like we used to pre-split.
**** nebraska forever but as an ISU football fan I don't understand how you wouldn't want to play in a division with UN, WVU, KSU, KU, and Cincy. Thats a trip to Dallas at least 1/3 of the time given where the respective programs are at right now