To give or not to give (Lot G7)

mganzeveld

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Rapids
After 6 seasons with season tickets and receiving my renewal forms in the mail, I am once again asking myself the same question: Should I donate and get myself into Lot G7 or throw luck into the wind and fight for public parking spots like I have always done. Some public parking (especially out by Vet Med) is FAR more convenient since we are "southies". Plus those public spots mostly have two exits which makes it far easier to get out. I want to be in grass because my kids, and sometimes my dog, love to play out there. From what I remember when G7 was public, there is only one outlet and I spent 40 minutes sitting in line each time. On the other hand, the 11am games are very difficult because we live in Cedar Rapids and generally have to fly on I-30 to get good parking or even get into a lot. Having a pass would eliminate the possibility of searching. Sometimes we get lucky and find something close and sometimes we end up at Kmart or HyVee. Wadya think? Public or G7?

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I parked in G7 for the first time last year after parking in A2 prior to that. I'm going for G7 again. There was only one game last year where it took me more that 10 minutes to get out of the lot, and I don't ever leave the stadium before the end of the game.

It was a little muddy for the first game last year, but other than that I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
One more thing... You get routed east on S. 4th when you leave, if that has any impact on your exit strategy.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
You can donate $100 and pay $50 ($150 total) for a parking pass or you can pay $20 per game ($140 total) to park in general admission. If you are already donating to get your game tickets, you would be saving $90. If your only donating to get the parking pass and don't need to to get your season tickets, it would be $10 cheaper to just park GA.

wright4cy

Jan 15, 2007
Boone
I got tired of public parking a few years ago and already donated so $50. was a good deal and now I know we will be close and have parking .And you can tailgate with lots of other Great fans :) But its totally your call .We have never ever wished we hadnt done it .. Never wait too long to get out either ,but I am never in rush to leave after a game .

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Do it.

G7>>>>Public Parking.

I had to be drug by one of my buddies out of the student lot, but after having gotten a G7 spot I'd never go back. Atmosphere isn't that much different, biggest differences is no buses. The bonuses are that you can start tailgating at either 7 AM or 6 hours prior to kickoff, whichever is EARLIER. That means for a late afternoon/night game, you have the option of being there literally all day.

Furthermore, you don't have to wait in line to get in, as there isn't a rush to grab this finite number of spots like you have in public parking. Its so much less time you have to set aside to it, and a lot less work. They're a little less nazi-ish about how you park than in the student lots, but its still kind of a pain.

When you consider the cost, and what you're saving on tickets, its an incredible deal.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
G7 is a decent place to park is a lot better than public parking. I park in a paved one after nearly getting stuck a couple times a few years ago. People there are nicer, no one yelling at you to show up earlier and refusing to get out of the vehicle lane.

After this year I nearly moved back due to all the jack wagons in my current lot.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
I've found a home in G7 ever since we migrated over there 3 or 4 years ago. Our group loves the lot, the environment in the lot, and the space that comes with it (most of the time). My only gripes with G7 are just recently they've gotten somewhat nazi-like with their parking attendants, however if you level with them it's usually not too difficult to work things out. The second thing is the 1 exit, which generally isn't all that bad but can be frustrating at times.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Yeah the 1 exit thing BLOWS in G7. But everything else is pretty cool. Was pretty sloppy (muddy) last season, but I kinda enjoy that type of thing :jimlad:

Plus if you go to every game it's cheaper. :yes:

cyingreen

Nov 13, 2006
Jasper County
The only relevant factor in deciding where to park is: Which lot affords the best view of the parade of coeds headed for JTS or the first available party.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron