TJ’s Weaknesses Exposed Tonight

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
@TCU we were up by as much as 8 or 9 at times in the second half, they closed the gap several times and even took the lead, and we still won.
Against Villanova we were up 7 with 2 minutes to go, and up 5 with 1 minute to go. Lead evaporated and went to OT.

Against TCU we were up 9 with 2:30 to go. Lead evaporated and we actually lost the lead before Gabe’s long step back game winner.

OU game we lost a massive lead in the first half.

OSU game we lost a massive lead in the first half.

KU game our largest lead in the 2nd half was 5 but melted down with unforced TO’s down the stretch.

Tech game was the single worst “comeback loss” in conference history.

This Team’s identity is that no lead is safe with them.

Tough? Yes.
Gritty? Yes.
Togetherness? Yes.

Except down the stretch on the road with the lead.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
And it’s not like Osun was in foul trouble either. If he had 4 fouls, then maybe I can see why Jones was in there to start OT..
How well did Osun play last night?

I realize that Robert Jones isn't the fluid offensive player most of us would like to see at center, but he serves the purpose of a rugged defender and solid rebounder.

Last night during TT's run, it looked like Osun's defense hurt ISU. He's a great shot blocker, but on a good day he is an average on ball defender and help defender. Last night was not a good effort.

With TT's size, I was a bit surprised that Tre King didn't play more at the 5.

TJ's in a tough spot because with Kunc out we don't have a consistent bench scorer- Ward & Watson are pretty limited in half court sets. And for some reason, we haven't found a way to leverage Tre King's quickness in the paint.

IMO Big12 teams are adjusting to ISU's defense and we are going to be able to diversify our approach. But mainly get MUCH better with our on-ball defense.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
The way this team fell apart in the last ten minutes was inexcusable. It looked like the Leprechaun was coaching instead of TJ.

• Haha
Reactions: CyBobby

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Against Villanova we were up 7 with 2 minutes to go, and up 5 with 1 minute to go. Lead evaporated and went to OT.

Against TCU we were up 9 with 2:30 to go. Lead evaporated and we actually lost the lead before Gabe’s long step back game winner.

KU game our largest lead in the 2nd half was 5 but melted down with unforced TO’s down the stretch.

Tough? Yes.
Gritty? Yes.
Togetherness? Yes.

That's just the way college basketball is. Leads come and go constantly, teams go on runs, that's how it works.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No - what he's saying is after a made shot the game clock keeps winding. You can toss the ball in and let it sit there. The game clock continues to run, but the shot clock does not until the ball is touched, nor does the 10 second count.

However, they were almost always pressing, and it would take one time and maybe 8 seconds for them to figure this out and come up and guard the ball.

Got it...I think I'm thinking of coming out of time outs.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Tough? Yes.
Gritty? Yes.
Togetherness? Yes.

We were also down 9 on a neutral to UNC, down 11 vs. Baylor and down 11 vs. Texas. We won all three. This team is streaky but let’s recognize that they have the ability to really get it rolling for long periods of time.

Reactions: NWICY

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Can't fault Lipsey despite his poor play tonight. He isn't supposed to be running the point full time this season, but he's been forced to do it and has been good, mostly, until recently. But you gotta protect the kid when coaches adjust to him not shooting the jumper. Missouri really figured him out and ISU didn't counter with anything when Tech did the same.
He looked terrified out there last night. Not sure what is going on with him, but the last 2 games he has been really bad with TOs and will only take layup shots. Just weird, because he was handling things a lot better a month ago.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
That 'high level' coach in Lubbock is a handful of missed free throws or slightly less biased officiating away from 0-9 in Big 12 play. Tj and staff are excellent at what they do. The refs changed the way they had been able to play after the first 30 minutes and it completely played into Texas techs hands. How do you adjust to the refs? I would argue that they did adjust by not fouling as much down the stretch, but it led to a lot of easy paint points for tech unfortunately. Can't help that the refs decided they were going to help tech get back into the game

Officiating was 30% of the problem. The other 70% was coaching, turnovers, effort, rebounding, and FTs. Those are all things, at least in theory, we can control. If we take care of our own business we win the game, easily. Throwing away possessions and keeping our defense on the run also led/contributed to some of the calls.

Blaming the officials for this loss is weak.

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He looked terrified out there last night. Not sure what is going on with him, but the last 2 games he has been really bad with TOs and will only take layup shots. Just weird, because he was handling things a lot better a month ago.

The season as a whole is a slog and things can start to get sluggish.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
How well did Osun play last night?

I realize that Robert Jones isn't the fluid offensive player most of us would like to see at center, but he serves the purpose of a rugged defender and solid rebounder.

Last night during TT's run, it looked like Osun's defense hurt ISU. He's a great shot blocker, but on a good day he is an average on ball defender and help defender. Last night was not a good effort.

With TT's size, I was a bit surprised that Tre King didn't play more at the 5.

TJ's in a tough spot because with Kunc out we don't have a consistent bench scorer- Ward & Watson are pretty limited in half court sets. And for some reason, we haven't found a way to leverage Tre King's quickness in the paint.

IMO Big12 teams are adjusting to ISU's defense and we are going to be able to diversify our approach. But mainly get MUCH better with our on-ball defense.
I havent seen much live action but my sense with Osun briefly was that he was a beast, but gave up position to take wild swings for blocks. Is this what you mean or was that just what I saw that day?

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
King not playing more is a mystery to me. 7 rebounds in 16 minutes in a game we rebounded awful.
Yeah, we needed someone strong enough to box out Obanor who ended up with most of his points on putbacks and freethrows

Last edited:
Reactions: JCity

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
That's just the way college basketball is. Leads come and go constantly, teams go on runs, that's how it works.
Ha, well I suppose you’ve got some valid points there!

To add to your list:

- [insert really generic thing about how “sports” work]
- [insert really generic thing about scoring in college basketball, about how sometimes the team who is leading the game “changes” to the other team]

I mean, sh*t fellas, close down this thread - we’ve cracked the case! Nothing at all to discuss about last night or this team; everything that occurred is completely normal and happens all the time to all teams.

• Winner
Reactions: NoCreativity

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Ha, well I suppose you’ve got some valid points there!

To add to your list:

- [insert really generic thing about how “sports” work]
- [insert really generic thing about scoring in college basketball, about how sometimes the team who is leading the game “changes” to the other team]

I mean, sh*t fellas, close down this thread - we’ve cracked the case! Nothing at all to discuss about last night or this team; everything that occurred is completely normal and happens all the time to all teams.
Sorry that you don't like it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I havent seen much live action but my sense with Osun briefly was that he was a beast, but gave up position to take wild swings for blocks. Is this what you mean or was that just what I saw that day?
Osun is a great shot blocker in general, but not the greatest on-ball defender. Part of that is he isn't a physical player or move his feet well laterally in space. That's a season long observation and a big reason Robert Jones plays 15-20mpg.

Saw the same thing last night. IMO it's not a good decision for TJ to switch Jones or Osun on opposing guards or wings. Jones is a much better on-ball defender. But it has just as much to do with one of our 4 guards defending the lane, an opponent post in the paint and rebounding.

IMO we need to rethink our switching strategy. And against some teams, trap less and just play great one-on-one man and switch only when a guard can't fight through the screen.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

How many 15 plus leads have we blown in our history. I doubt we average 1 per year. We have 2 this year for losses. And one we won. That’s unusual.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron