TITLE IX celebration

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Lots of activity about the 45th Anniversary of Title IX. Would there be less women sports without it? Probably so, but there are men's sports that lose money that we have even though there is no legal compulsion. All in all, likely a good thing.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I think it is good practice. The only thing I would change is to make it equal number of sports like most high schools do. When you bring into scholarships with football it seems many men's Olympic sports are cut to make up for those scholarships. Does it make if fair by scholarships, no, but football is what brings in the money to support most mens and womens teams.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Lots of activity about the 45th Anniversary of Title IX. Would there be less women sports without it? Probably so, but there are men's sports that lose money that we have even though there is no legal compulsion. All in all, likely a good thing.

In before the whining starts. I am a BIG fan of the Title.

Back when I was in HS we had boys sports in football, basketball, wrestling, track, baseball, cross country and wrestling. Girls sports? Zero, zip, nada. My little sis had almost no exposure to sports or good physical activities. Contrast that with her daughters who all got to participate in softball, soccer, basketball and cross country. Youngest niece is quite the marathon runner now as a young adult. Same genes and build as my sis who never ran but I believe could have given a different attitude towards gal sports back in the 1960's.

Heck, even when I was at ISU I don't think we had women's sports at all. Early 1970's before basketball and volleyball, our two cornerstone women's sports at ISU. Those are two of my favorite sports at ISU today.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

Back when I was in HS we had boys sports in football, basketball, wrestling, track, baseball, cross country and wrestling. Girls sports? Zero, zip, nada. My little sis had almost no exposure to sports or good physical activities. Contrast that with her daughters who all got to participate in softball, soccer, basketball and cross country. Youngest niece is quite the marathon runner now as a young adult. Same genes and build as my sis who never ran but I believe could have given a different attitude towards gal sports back in the 1960's.

Heck, even when I was at ISU I don't think we had women's sports at all. Early 1970's before basketball and volleyball, our two cornerstone women's sports at ISU. Those are two of my favorite sports at ISU today.

I think it's great for women's sports, but like chad said above, I wish they'd make it equal amount of sports instead of equal amount of scholarships. College football taking up 85 scholarships hurts a lot of other possible sports universities could have

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think it's great for women's sports, but like chad said above, I wish they'd make it equal amount of sports instead of equal amount of scholarships. College football taking up 85 scholarships hurts a lot of other possible sports universities could have
Maybe another solution is exempt sports that make a profit. I don't know what the solution is but I think it is pretty clear that there are issues with it currently. There probably isn't a perfect solution but who knows.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO

They had AIAW sports back then. Peg Neppel was at ISU then. Was a darn good distance runner until cancer took her at 28. In both Register and ISU Halls of Fame.
http://data.desmoinesregister.com/hall-of-fame/single.php?id=438

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I agree with the positives expressed here over Title IX.

There was a long time influential Clone fan who would pan, detract and pee on Title Nine on several past Iowa State boards. I know him and he used to post here, thankfully his views are not as widespread.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

I don't think it matters, most of the major universities don't even offer all the sports they can and that's not just because of Title IX.

Now maybe if they changed how it's tabulated ISU, for example, could bring back baseball while cutting one of the women's programs but you haven't really gained anything.

The reason schools aren't offering more sports is money, not Title IX