Tire Help

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm looking to get new tires today for a 2003 Ford Taurus and was wondering to you car people what some good brands were and some good questions to ask people when I call them. En-Tire in Ames said they had lots of brands ranging from 75-100 bucks per tire. Any help? Thanks!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I think the general consensus from a couple of weeks ago was to go with the Kumho, but I'm no tire expert and the opinion could be different for a Ford Taurus...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
sweeet! I was hoping to not do this, but the tread is pretty darn thin and we're moving tomorrow.

kurimski

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Get Goodyear or the best brand available. You get what you pay for just remember that. You'll pay an extra $10-$20 per tire for the Goodyear but they'll last much longer than the cheapo brands.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I called EN-Tires today and two of the names they said they had were uniroyal and riken

anyone have any experience with those?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Get Goodyear or the best brand available. You get what you pay for just remember that. You'll pay an extra $10-$20 per tire for the Goodyear but they'll last much longer than the cheapo brands.

Bull Hockey on that theory....no offense.

All tire companies make good tires, but there are some companies who don't have to add $10-30/tire just so you can own a tire with their name on them. Kumho has really set itself apart from a lot of companies in that they are a very good quality tire and they actually expect you only pay for the tire...:yes:. You could go to 5 different stores and get 5 different opinions on who has the best tire, but that opinion is based on what tire gives them the best profit margin.

Good Year Allegra's have worked great for me and I have used all sorts of Kumho tires on the farm and the previous job I was at where I was in charge of buying tires for Feed delivery trucks and pickups so I know they will do you good.

Go with the place that gives you free tire hazard and will back up your tire if it breaks a belt after 20,000 miles and gives you that in writing. You don't have to worry about weight issues, or off road use(at least I hope not) with a taurus so look for the best deal and go for it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Bull Hockey on that theory....no offense.

All tire companies make good tires, but there are some companies who don't have to add $10-30/tire just so you can own a tire with their name on them. Kumho has really set itself apart from a lot of companies in that they are a very good quality tire and they actually expect you only pay for the tire...:yes:. You could go to 5 different stores and get 5 different opinions on who has the best tire, but that opinion is based on what tire gives them the best profit margin.

Good Year Allegra's have worked great for me and I have used all sorts of Kumho tires on the farm and the previous job I was at where I was in charge of buying tires for Feed delivery trucks and pickups so I know they will do you good.

Go with the place that gives you free tire hazard and will back up your tire if it breaks a belt after 20,000 miles and gives you that in writing. You don't have to worry about weight issues, or off road use(at least I hope not) with a taurus so look for the best deal and go for it.

In other words, if I were in his situation, I'd take my brother-in-law's advice and go to Sears...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I would go to Sears, but they closed the one in Ames and I don't have time or good enough tires to get to Des Moines. Looks like I'll just go to En Tire and hopefully they're good honest people trying to help me!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

Gonna call bullcrap on that one too. In fact, most of the reviews I read on the Kumho vs Goodyear were in favor of Kumho - based on quality - not cheaper price.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
In other words, if I were in his situation, I'd take my brother-in-law's advice and go to Sears...

Pretty much......:yes:

I live in Waukee so I took my van to Sam's Club the last time. They were the cheapest and you get road hazard for nothing extra and if you were 2 states away and something goes wrong with your tire, if there is a Walmart or Sam's, you can get service there. So about the same as Sears.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I don't know too much, so can someone explain road hazard?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I would go to Sears, but they closed the one in Ames and I don't have time or good enough tires to get to Des Moines. Looks like I'll just go to En Tire and hopefully they're good honest people trying to help me!

Really??? That SUCKS!!! Sears was my one-stop hardware shop my 6 years in Ames :sad: I'm not sure that there's a better brand for tools outside of power tools than Craftsman.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee

Try Walmart or Sam's Club up there......

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Basically it's an insurance policy for your tires. If dang near anything happens to them, they replace them - usually on a pro-rated amount for the amount of wear you have on your tire.

I have RH on my truck tires and earlier this fall I had a flat that ended up pretty much shredding the tire. Cost me about $30 bucks to have the whole thing replaced - have 2 or 3years on them.

Road hazzard has paid off for me two or three times. And it usually only costs 7-10 per tire, depending where you go.

Got mine from Tires Plus. What's nice about places like that is that they are nationwide and they also offer lifetime rotations - which can add up.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron