Tips for Chicago

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Really? Didn't know that. We've done it 5-6 times over the last couple years and haven't had a problem. Our car was never registered under the I-Pass.

I think they started getting people more recently. They got me after Iowa switched out their licence plates and my sister when she borrowed it sometime in the past year or two.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I used SpotHero. Got a pretty good deal on a garage just 15 minutes away from UC and right across the street from a restaurant that ISU has labeled as a "Cyclone Spot". Hopefully it's as good of a deal as it seems.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I could write a whole book on this but I won't.

* Downtown - One of the better downtowns in the country, but there are different areas of it you should know about.

The Loop which is south of the river is typically pretty boring but there are some good things about it. The reflecting bean you might see is there for example, which is within Millennium Park. The Chicago Athletic Association is now a boutique hotel with some cool bars and restaurant like the Cherry Circle Room and Cindy's. Awesome views of Millennium Park/Lake. The Virgin Hotel also has a decent rooftop, and there's ROOF at theWit hotel which is a decent clubby type of lounge. There's also some shopping on State Street.

Most of the nightlife downtown though happens north of the river in areas like River North and Gold Coast. Hubbard Street in River North for example is an area with a lot of bars (start near Hubbard & State street). Other streets around it like Kinzie, Illinois, etc will have it too. They have everything from dives to decent lounge-ish type of bars like Celeste to clubs a little further up near Ontario Street (like Sound Bar, Y Bar, etc), your average decent place like Rockit. A lot of food in the area. Gold Coast is my neighborhood which is pretty funny - there's a number of nicer lounge type of places but also some kind of more divey ones which have a lot of younger people at them. My favorite places around there are a little classier - places like the 2nd floor lounge at Le Colonial, Salone Nico (attached to Nico Osteria), Pump Room, 2nd floor of Maple & Ash, Le Bar, Sparrow, etc. Division Street has the younger, "crappier" bars - though there's been a few to open there which are kind of straying from that.

Streeterville, which is near where Navy Pier is, is kind of boring. A lot of things, but many chains, not a lot of GOOD nightlife (but some), etc.

Many parts of the city, especially downtown, are very walkable. Even if you are coming with a car, there's no reason to use it in areas like this if you're just staying in the area especially. Driving would pretty much be a waste of time and money. There are also cabs/uber/etc all over, trains, buses, etc.

* Food - Chicago is a food city and a lot of people in the Midwest know it for the hot dogs, pizza, etc but it's way more than that. As I mentioned before, deep dish might be well known but locals don't eat it that much. Lou Malnati's and Pequod's is my favorite though, but you can get just about anything in town. The city, including downtown, has a lot of great restaurants of all sorts of food. My suggestion is that if all you do when you come to Chicago is get deep dish and hot dogs, to branch out a bit. The city is incredibly more with food than that. There is a reason why it's one of only three US cities to have a michelin guide for dining. The West Loop (mostly west of the expressway) has some great restaurants and is a kind of up and coming, hot area at the moment.

There are also ethnic neighborhoods like Chinatown, Argyle Street area (Vietnamese), Devon Street (Indian), Greektown, many Mexican areas (like Pilsen), Puerto Rican (Humboldt Park - might be dangerous for most people - but also extends into other areas slightly for other Latin American food in the area like Logan Square), etc.

Neighborhoods like Wicker Park and Logan Square have some good food, nightlife, etc too. Wicker Park = Damen O'Hare Blue Line stop for that, and Logan Square has some good stuff not far from the California Blue Line stop. Things here tend to sway more on the hip side, though you can find more vanilla options too in an area like Wicker Park, Fun areas though. Some of the more "vanilla" areas that have some good activity would be Lakeview/Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park, and maybe Lincoln Square/Ravenswood for more laid back things.

I suggest if it's at all nice out that everyone should go to the lakefront, specifically downtown and north of Navy Pier. Also, if you want to see an awesome view without paying $25/person for it then I suggest going to the John Hancock Tower's 96th floor lounge. It's free to get up there and you can get some appetizer or a drink and much less expensive than the observation decks. Also, the view is better up there than the Sears (Willis) Tower. I suggest going before sundown.

* Safety - Chicago is on the news for crime many times (and there can be other reasons for that we won't talk about). The city is a tale of two cities though. Areas like the north side are relatively safe to very safe depending on where you are. Areas of the west and south sides though (not every area) can be dangerous. The area around U/C is very interesting as it looks kind of rough - and to the west a little bit it might be. My suggestion to people is to not go west, but east towards downtown is better. If someone asks you for money or anything like that on the street and you feel uncomfortable, ignore it. You don't need to say anything to them.

Tons more but it's hard to write since there's so much to do, eat, see, etc.

Last edited:

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
I've lived in Chicago for 27 years, never met a native who wears a whistle on a rope.
Soap on a rope? Sure. The whistle thing is ridiculous.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Its an awesome town. Yes the UC area is dicey late night, but there's no reason to hang there after the win, there will be Cyclones celebrating all over town. I love Chicago because its a big town made up of small town folks. Start up a conversation with the locals, many are transplants from small towns in Wisc, Mn, Mich and Iowa.
Enjoy!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Giordano's is the best Deep Dish in Chicago. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Even if Gino's East was "the original"

Oh, so you are one of them!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I forgot about another great pizza place in Chicago that I don't hear about very often. Edwardo's. The Pesto pizza is fantastic.

CJ4IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2010
grimes
Re: Tips for Chicago: Gamewatches, Sports-related, Tickets

Maybe the dumbest comment ever. Don't buy seats on the street in Chicago. Good chance you will get ripped off. Guys are bad news not sharp and rich. Did you not all see the federal indictment recently on the big time ticket scam in Chicago? Be smart.

· Scalpers. It has been 15 years since I’ve bought tickets from scalpers near the United Center, but they are sure to be there. These guys will be pros (much better at their craft than the guys at Hilton or Jack Trice). Don’t think you are going to outsmart them or show them up. These guys are making enough money and have enough ego that they are the ones who might tear up a ticket in front of you (and in front of their colleagues). Just tell them what you are willing to pay and let them know where you will be if they want to sell it.[/QUOTE]

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
I forgot about another great pizza place in Chicago that I don't hear about very often. Edwardo's. The Pesto pizza is fantastic.

CYCSK-- this thread is a keeper. Thank you for your contributions here. GREAT STUFF!

Ive had a friend who lived in the Loop for a couple decades and walks everywhere . Always fun to hit a great dive diner for breakfast you'd normally walk by without noticing when we were with him.

Fyi- Daley won the 1960 for JFK, with Joe sr and his ties to the Chicago unions

in '64 it was Johnson vs Goldwater

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I've got all this in a single Word document organized by categories. Send me a PM with your email address if you want it.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Be safe when youre walking around it is a big city after all but jeesh lots of people are expecting to get shot at or stabbed. Biggest tip to take away is dont act like a tourist and act like you know where youre going. If you're walking with "purpose" if you will most people will not bother you, now i will say i wouldnt walk around the UC area alone at night or any parts of the south side but Downtown chicago really isnt that horrible anymore with all the police officers in the area. However, a lot of the south side is very dangerous and the area around the UC is also not too friendly. In general majority of the north side is fine, even at night. Just drunk people more than anything and some bro types that will want to fight at the drop of a button but you get that everywhere.

PS: if you do decide on chicago deep dish I personally think Lou's is the best chain out of them. Another personal favorite of mine is Luckys sandwhiches in Wrigleyville on Clark street. HUGE sandwhiches that are especially good after a night of drinking!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron