~ Time to name your starting 5 ~

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Not sure what some have against Petey...He was forced into a role in which it was his first year in a new offense. If you want to jump on Petey for getting double teamed over half court, also jump on the guys that didn't get open. Fouls where he is busting his ***, I can accept. I can't accept the ones that come, when a player is out of position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Angie and mwitt

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Not sure what some have against Petey...He was forced into a role in which it was his first year in a new offense. If you want to jump on Petey for getting double teamed over half court, also jump on the guys that didn't get open. Fouls where he is busting his ***, I can except. I can't except the ones that come, when a player is out of position.

They are the same informed people who claimed over and over that Haluska isn't a D1 player, while not understanding that there are 350 D1 teams.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Not sure what some have against Petey...He was forced into a role in which it was his first year in a new offense. If you want to jump on Petey for getting double teamed over half court, also jump on the guys that didn't get open. Fouls where he is busting his ***, I can except. I can't except the ones that come, when a player is out of position.

I don't have anything against him, he tries hard but is extremely limited. My problem is that we don't have anyone that can beat him out. I'm sure he is busting his tail, but other guards toy with him and getting a reach in foul as a guy blows by you is not a hustle foul.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't have anything against him, he tries hard but is extremely limited. My problem is that we don't have anyone that can beat him out. I'm sure he is busting his tail, but other guards toy with him and getting a reach in foul as a guy blows by you is not a hustle foul.

I really don't see your basis for bagging on Petey's defense. I thought he was an average to above average defender last season. I don't seem to remember him getting abused that much.

Now, if you want to talk about his shortcomings when it comes to ball handling, I am with you 100% on that one.

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I really don't see your basis for bagging on Petey's defense. I thought he was a average to above average defender last season. I don't seem to remember him getting abused that much.

Now, if you want to talk about his shortcomings when it comes to ball handling, I am with you 100% on that one.

Kansas basically just ran the old globetrotter weave, spread the floor and took him one on one, they were laughing and joking about it going up the court. That was embarassing...

I stuck with the defensive side because KG said that if you can't play D you can't play for Mac.

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
Starters Game 1:

Petersen
Garrett
Haluska
Brackins
Thompson

This lineup scares me to death. You basically have 3 walk-ons in your starting 5. I know walk-ons can help a rebuilding program with minutes, but there is a reason they are a walk-on.

Petersen is simply a role player. Haluska could provide valuable minutes off the bench, providing his shot is falling, not his 0 for 40 performance last year. AT is another quality off the bench player. We will struggle mightily if this is our lineup.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Kansas basically just ran the old globetrotter weave, spread the floor and took him one on one, they were laughing and joking about it going up the court. That was embarassing...

I stuck with the defensive side because KG said that if you can't play D you can't play for Mac.

Kansas made all of our guys look that way, singling out BP is pointless.

CyGuy33

May 7, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I don't think he is a great shooter, there is a reason he is a walk on. I respect what he does on the basketball court because he gets everything he can out of his physical abilities. But I don't think he is a BIG 12 caliber starting PG or SG. I will say the same thing about Haluska.

I'm not trying to cut the kid down, I'm not saying they haven't helped the team or contributed but if we want to finish in the top half of the league, I don't see Petty and Haluska being the starting back court for that calibur of a team.

mplscyclone

Jul 8, 2008
Ames, IA
You need Petey to be active in the offense.

First, he's probably the best 3 point shooter on the team, or at least one of the best. If DG can drive and kickout to him, that's a good shot.

Second, DG sometimes get phased (or at least did last year). Sometimes you need Petey to handle the ball for a bit to slow down the pace of the game if needed.

DG will be more involved this year compared to last, but you need Petey to slow things down, and we need his shooting ability.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
This is a very good comparison. Mike Nurse has nothing athletically on BP. But he was a great spot up shooter with some ball handling skills, much like BP.

Mike Nurse was more athletic than BP, and was also a pretty good defender. And when I say good, I don't mean good by the current standards the team has, but legitimately very good.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Mike Nurse was more athletic than BP, and was also a pretty good defender. And when I say good, I don't mean good by the current standards the team has, but legitimately very good.

I played ball against Mike Nurse at the rec center. He is not more athletic than BP. Probably stronger, but not more athletic.

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
What does everyone think of Pomlee? I was running in State gym while they had practice last week and the kid acted like a sponge. He looks like a hard worker and a good athlete.

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
A sponge in a good way or bad way?

Definitely a good way. He was soaking up everything the coaches had to say and was busting his butt. Petey also looks like one of the hardest workers on the team. Like him or not, he is working for this team.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I played ball against Mike Nurse at the rec center. He is not more athletic than BP. Probably stronger, but not more athletic.

Sorry this really made me laugh, MBB players playing at the rec play nothing like they do in real games. Okay yes BP is "athletic" in the cardio sense I didn't mean to dog on him in that sense. He is definitely an athlete. I'm just with others in that I wish somebody could beat him out, because the position needs a serious upgrade.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sorry this really made me laugh, MBB players playing at the rec play nothing like they do in real games. Okay yes BP is "athletic" in the cardio sense I didn't mean to dog on him in that sense. He is definitely an athlete. I'm just with others in that I wish somebody could beat him out, because the position needs a serious upgrade.

Glad you find it funny. I stand by my statement.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
He's the only one with starting experience in the Big XII. I'm sure the incoming freshman are great, but they need time to develop and learn the system.

Diante also has Big XII experience. The great thing this year is that our new guards will have someone there to help them learn what its about. Petey and Diante came in last year with no experience and no teammates that could help them when they have problems. The fact that Petey and Diante can help Buckley out will be HUGE.

Another disadvantage they had was a lack of playmakers and shooters on offense. Rashon was not an offensive player. Wes's injury held him back. Our inside guys were good, but teams could sag on them. Haluska was not a good shooter for most of the season. We really didn't have an outside threat. Another issue is a lack of ball handlers. Rashon at the 3 really wasn't much of a ball handler and neither was WJ. Neither of them were bad ball handlers, but they weren't guys that were going to run the offense either.

This year, I believe Petey and Buckley will run the point. Petey will look like a much better player for a multiple of reason. First off, if he gets pressure, an outlet to a guy like DG or maybe even Lucca won't just be an escape, it will be a pass to a guy who can make something happen. The main reason he will be better is outside shooting. Haluska heated up late last year, Lucca should be a shooter and even Eikmeier might open things up. This will help to get the ball inside and help the perimeter scoring. That said, Buckley has more talent and the fact that he has Petey and DG mentoring him should help him to develop faster that DG did last season. My prediction is that Petey will start the vast majority of the games, but Buckley will get more playing time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron