Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Right. Jason Sudekis and Sue Bird (this was everywhere) were sitting courtside at the Iowa game a couple weeks ago to see yesterday's news. Very few college athletes get the type of national exposure that she receives. Of course you can't compare her to professional superstar athletes. I live out of state and I know a lot of casual sports fans that do tune in to watch just because of her.

Holy **** Jason Sudekis and Sue Bird! Basically Taylor Swift and Michael Jordan!

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
I feel bad for all of you that live in Iowa.... you must be getting CC fatigue in a big way by now. I'm guessing that is all the Iowa media talks about DAILY.

Up here in Minny, CC is never talked about..... its clearly just a state of Iowa deal. Nobody in the other 49 cares... at all. I'm sure Murph and Andy would be disappointed to hear this.
This reminds me when the Hawkeye radio show on kxno had the PxP guy from a different school and they were in disbelief they didn’t know what the wave was. Iowa fans think the world revolves around IC sometimes.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Right. Jason Sudekis and Sue Bird (this was everywhere) were sitting courtside at the Iowa game a couple weeks ago to see yesterday's news. Very few college athletes get the type of national exposure that she receives.
By very few do you also mean the ones that Sudekis and Bird watched in Lawrence like a day before?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
She was recently a guest on Peyton & Eli's MNF broadcast. She was on Coach K's podcast. She was the focus of a CBS Sports article/interview with Aliyah Boston just a few days ago. Sporting News just named her its co-athlete of the year. ESPN just posted an article ranking the top 25 players in the country this morning listing her as #1. 247Sports posted an article yesterday about her future in the WNBA. This in addition things like her State Farm TV ads just launching and Gatorade just signing her.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
She was recently a guest on Peyton & Eli's MNF broadcast. She was on Coach K's podcast. She was the focus of a CBS Sports article/interview with Aliyah Boston just a few days ago. Sporting News just named her its co-athlete of the year. ESPN just posted an article ranking the top 25 players in the country this morning listing her as #1. 247Sports posted an article yesterday about her future in the WNBA. This in addition things like her State Farm TV ads just launching and Gatorade just signing her.

The only nationally relevant thing you mentioned there is Manningcast and that is even pushing it now with their ratings drop. The rest you have to go out and be searching for it.

Nationally relevant means it finds you, not the other way around.

• Agree
  • Creative
Reactions: 1776 and Candide

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
The only nationally relevant thing you mentioned there is Manningcast and that is even pushing it now with their ratings drop. The rest you have to go out and be searching for it.

The question was whether CC is getting attention from media outside of local/Iowa outlets. That's exactly what I listed. But now it's about whether CBS Sports, ESPN, etc. are relevant. Interesting pivot.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Only an Iowa thing.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

I would really have to go out of my way to find that stuff. Out of all of those examples the only one I saw was the sporting news thing because people were making fun of it on Twitter.

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzo

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I would really have to go out of my way to find that stuff. Out of all of those examples the only one I saw was the sporting news thing because people were making fun of it on Twitter.

I didn’t even know sporting news still existed TBH.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023

The question was whether CC is getting attention from media outside of local/Iowa outlets. That's exactly what I listed. But now it's about whether CBS Sports, ESPN, etc. are relevant. Interesting pivot.
Kind of weird you know all of these appearances. Even weirder how much time you are spending justifying her on a rivals message board.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Kind of weird you know all of these appearances. Even weirder how much time you are spending justifying her on a rivals message board.

Mediocre hawk fans white knighting for CC on an ISU forum might be the most entertaining part of this

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
After skipping from page 2 to 31, I gotta say several of you are trying way to hard to minimize Clark's media presence. No, she's not MJ. Most of the country couldn't care less about women's bball at any level. But to say she hasn't made an impact and become at least a minor celebrity is silly.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
After skipping from page 2 to 31, I gotta say several of you are trying way to hard to minimize Clark's media presence. No, she's not MJ. Most of the country couldn't care less about women's bball at any level. But to say she hasn't made an impact and become at least a minor celebrity is silly.

minor sports celebrity.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick