Time for a Real Discussion About Caitlin Clark

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
After skipping from page 2 to 31, I gotta say several of you are trying way to hard to minimize Clark's media presence. No, she's not MJ. Most of the country couldn't care less about women's bball at any level. But to say she hasn't made an impact and become at least a minor celebrity is silly.

Made an impact in what way?

She is a celebrity in Iowa which I have never disputed. She has virtually no impact nationally at this point, unlike what Iowa media and hok fans want you to think, and nationally, she has peaked. She won’t transform the WNBA or anything like that. Maybe it will ramp up again nationally if she makes the Olympic team and is dominant in that capacity.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

She is a celebrity in Iowa which I have never disputed. She has virtually no impact nationally at this point, unlike what Iowa media and hok fans want you to think, and nationally, she has peaked. She won’t transform the WNBA or anything like that. Maybe it will ramp up again nationally if she makes the Olympic team and is dominant in that capacity.
Umm, TV ratings and attendance both home and away games.

• Dumb
Reactions: dosry5

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
After skipping from page 2 to 31, I gotta say several of you are trying way to hard to minimize Clark's media presence. No, she's not MJ. Most of the country couldn't care less about women's bball at any level. But to say she hasn't made an impact and become at least a minor celebrity is silly.
She's an outstanding, generational player.

There's some wild stuff like thinking Des Moines should get a WNBA team because of her. Yes, that was actually a radio segment I have heard recently.

Reactions: AllInForISU

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
She's an outstanding, generational player.

There's some wild stuff like thinking Des Moines should get a WNBA team because of her. Yes, that was actually a radio segment I have heard recently.
That’s pretty wild. I don’t think the WNBA is in a position to expand and they aren’t relocating a team from a big city.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
  • Creative
Reactions: 1776

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Nothing better to do on a long trip for the holidays.
Yeah, national news organizations like The Washington Post are well known for writing articles about topics and subjects that only people in Iowa care about, lol.

Enjoy your holiday vaca.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb

AS she leaves college basketball it will only get tougher for her to score like she does now. The players in the WNBA are playing for a salary and she won't get as many shots as she does now. Her teammates are also good players and they will not let her take 40% of the shots plus the defense against her will be tougher then she has seen in college. She will also have to get better on defense as again her team mates will expect her to paly some.

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
Living in WI, I know one woman I work with who is a basketball junkie talk about her. Literally no one else. I do get to see those damn cutouts every time I go into a Hy-Vee, though.

She's a great college player. I don't have any issue with her **** talking, but her constant whining to the refs is insufferable. I don't think she'll be a great WNBA player. She will fade into obscurity, as will the Hawks attendance for women's basketball when she's done. They've proven themselves to be a fickle fan base when times get tough.

I feel for ya'll who live in IA, as my dad tells me about the circle jerk she gets all the time. That would drive me mad.

**** Iowa. Now, and always.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
She was recently a guest on Peyton & Eli's MNF broadcast. She was on Coach K's podcast. She was the focus of a CBS Sports article/interview with Aliyah Boston just a few days ago. Sporting News just named her its co-athlete of the year. ESPN just posted an article ranking the top 25 players in the country this morning listing her as #1. 247Sports posted an article yesterday about her future in the WNBA. This in addition things like her State Farm TV ads just launching and Gatorade just signing her.
So, isn't that the job of the ESPN writers who cover women's basketball to write articles about women's college basketball? You know, the same writers who have ISU's Addy Brown as the #5 top freshman and Audi Crooks at #10.

The Associated Press sportswriters didn't choose Caitlin as their female athlete of the year. They chose Simone Biles.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So, isn't that the job of the ESPN writers who cover women's basketball to write articles about women's college basketball? You know, the same writers who have ISU's Addy Brown as the #5 top freshman and Audi Crooks at #10.

The Associated Press sportswriters didn't choose Caitlin as their female athlete of the year. They chose Simone Biles.

CC finished #2.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Living in WI, I know one woman I work with who is a basketball junkie talk about her. Literally no one else. I do get to see those damn cutouts every time I go into a Hy-Vee, though.

She's a great college player. I don't have any issue with her **** talking, but her constant whining to the refs is insufferable. I don't think she'll be a great WNBA player. She will fade into obscurity, as will the Hawks attendance for women's basketball when she's done. They've proven themselves to be a fickle fan base when times get tough.

I feel for ya'll who live in IA, as my dad tells me about the circle jerk she gets all the time. That would drive me mad.

**** Iowa. Now, and always.

This obsession with Hawk attendance seems to carry over from the MBB program dissing. Iowa has had good attendance for WBB before Clark, typically Top 10. It's not going to fall off the end of the world after Clark leaves nor is their program going to suddenly collapse. They have had the Big Ten POY five of the last six years (three different players). They are a good program. Admitting they've been good, had good teams and had good attendance isn't a diss on Iowa State.

Help Support Us

Become a patron