Tim Tebow Retiring from baseball.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Tim Tebow is retiring from baseball. I never thought he would amount to much, but it was interesting to follow.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Minor leaguer with a career .222 average. Good for him for being able to keep a grip on his 15 minutes of fame for so long.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
I think it will be easy for older generations to look at Tebow's career trajectory as a sort of caricature, but we shouldn't discount the effect he's had on a number of young people going back to his time at Florida, as being someone who's always smiling, always optimistic, always leading by example, unashamed about who he is and what he believes, and determined in chasing his dreams.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Here is his first AA at bat where he stopped at second base not realizing he hit a homerun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acylum

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Minor leaguer with a career .222 average. Good for him for being able to keep a grip on his 15 minutes of fame for so long.
For someone who hadn't played in years is that even bad? iirc, they kept bumping him up if he was even remotely successful which means you are always behind the curve. He was just too old to spend a long time learning in the lower leagues because he started at what, age 28?

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
For someone who hadn't played in years is that even bad? iirc, they kept bumping him up if he was even remotely successful which means you are always behind the curve. He was just too old to spend a long time learning in the lower leagues because he started at what, age 28?
They bumped him up to sell tickets I think. I think 222 is similar to mj in his brief career.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The only reason he was able to play as long as he did was because of his celebrity. Let's not pretend it was for anything other than that. Good for him for grabbing that brass ring with both hands, but plenty of guys with as much and more talent than him aren't given the same breaks. That's nothing for him to be ashamed of, but he doesn't get special credit for doing it.

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
They bumped him up to sell tickets I think. I think 222 is similar to mj in his brief career.
I mean I get its not a great average, but for not playing baseball for like 10 years that has to be decent. I think Jordan was a 202.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
The only reason he was able to play as long as he did was because of his celebrity. Let's not pretend it was for anything other than that. Good for him for grabbing that brass ring with both hands, but plenty of guys with as much and more talent than him aren't given the same breaks. That's nothing for him to be ashamed of, but he doesn't get special credit for doing it.
He both got advantages others wouldn't but those advantages also came with disadvantages as @Cycl1 said. He wasn't a big success, but he wasn't a big failure either.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
He both got advantages others wouldn't but those advantages also came with disadvantages as @Cycl1 said. He wasn't a big success, but he wasn't a big failure either.
What were the disadvantages that he had compared to other minor league players?

For reference, his career average is.222. Well over a hundred players in AA had better batting averages than he did in 2019.

Last edited:

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
What were the disadvantages that he had compared to other minor league players?
Time mostly. He was 8 years older than most pro prospects. Most players spend 4 years in the minors and most major league rookies are around age 24. Most players peak around 28-30. He was 28 when he entered, so if he was to even have any real career at all he had to do it fast. He was bumped up whenever he showed signs of being decent because he would be too old if he took the normal timeframe of players. At least originally. Havent paid much attention lately to it.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Time mostly. He was 8 years older than most pro prospects. Most players spend 4 years in the minors and most major league rookies are around age 24. Most players peak around 28-30. He was 28 when he entered, so if he was to even have any real career at all he had to do it fast. He was bumped up whenever he showed signs of being decent because he would be too old if he took the normal timeframe of players. At least originally. Havent paid much attention lately to it.
How many times was he bumped? From my research it looks like it was one year that he spent on multiple teams. The other seasons he spent on the same team all season. Pretty sure a lot of minor league players have the same experience.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
How many times was he bumped? From my reset it looks like it was one year that he spent on multiple teams. The other seasons he spent on the same team all season. Pretty sure a lot of minor league players have the same experience.

Would of been hilarious if his OPS was .666

Reactions: ribsnwhiskey