NFL: Tim Tebow is back!

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Looks like Tebow is going to ink a deal with the Jaguars. A one year contract at tight end.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
There are plenty of actual tight ends out there so signing someone that doesn't pay the position and hasn't played in like 7 years makes zero sense.
Urban Meyer is infatuated with Tebow. Always has been.
I wouldn't be shocked if he's cut be the actual season starts.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
He's probably more talented than a lot of third string TE's, but yeah, it's a publicity stunt IMO. .

Not sure why Jacksonville would want that media circus.

Reactions: chadly82

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I guess I don't have a problem with them using a 90 man roster spot to take a flyer on a 33 year old 6'2 tight end who ran a 4.7 40 eleven years ago. But making the 53man roster is another story altogether. You would hope he wouldn't make the active roster as a side show. If he does make it, I would hope it's because he can actually play

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I guess I don't have a problem with them using a 90 man roster spot to take a flyer on a 33 year old 6'2 tight end who ran a 4.7 40 eleven years ago. But making the 53man roster is another story altogether. You would hope he wouldn't make the active roster as a side show. If he does make it, I would hope it's because he can actually play
He’s a married man now. He just wants a reason to get out of the house.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
It does if you want to make money with a sideshow.

Honestly never understood why an owner hadn't done this earlier. The jersey sales & buzz wouldn't seem to hurt a team's financials.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Honestly never understood why an owner hadn't done this earlier. The jersey sales & buzz wouldn't seem to hurt a team's financials.
Roster spots are really valuable in the NFL though. You don't have many of them that you can mess around with. You only get 53 active roster spots and only a maximum of 48 can dress for a game. Teams usually only keep 3-4 tight ends in the roster to begin with and you might have 3 of them on the field at a time, depending on the situation. There's not a lot of room for gimmick players who can't play.

Tebow is shorter than average for the position, lighter than average, and at 4.7 in the 40 was just average speed for the position, and that's assuming he hasn't slowed down since his combine workout eleven years ago. And with tight ends, the slower guys tend to be the bigger ones who focus on blocking, while the smaller guys are the fast ones. Tebow is the inverse of that: a short, light, slow tight end. Hard to see where he fits.

If he can play, so be it. Good on him. But if you're only giving him a 53 man roster spot as a gimmick to sell jerseys, it is not a good move if you want to actually win football games.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Even if he makes the 53 man roster the Jags are going to suck this year anyways so does it really matter? He should have changed positions after his failed stint as a QB as he probably could have made more of a career out of than he did trying to play QB.

On a somewhat related note, I always wondered if Seneca had just made the switch to WR if he could have turned that into more of a career than he did. Granted 8 seasons as mostly a backup QB is not a bad run either but I remember him lining up at WR a few times with the Seahawks for some formations and with his athleticism and speed you wonder if he could have seen the field more had he made the switch too.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm pretty indifferent about this. I was a fan of his back in his heyday.

He's a good athlete, phenomenal leader. We will see if he's a decent TE. I'm sure if he does absolutely anything the media will blow it up 10-fold. Like his first at-bat for AAA baseball hitting that homerun. I kind of see his TE NFL career going about like that. Brilliant flash (like, one touchdown catch) and everyone over-hyping him. Then fizzles out.

Best of luck to him. Anyone that has met him has nothing but great things to say about him. It's the media's fascination about him that caused people to dislike him.

• Winner
Reactions: Tri and Acylum

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I don’t have a huge problem with it but would be more supportive if they brought him in as the qb in a sort of power wildcat scenario to take some pressure of of Trevor or just to add a twist to their offense. If he earns a roster spot Charlie is a top 20 pick in my mind then.