Thug U

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
huh?

But seriously what does make a school Thug U? Would you qualify ISU as Thug U like so many of your fellow hawkeyes?

ISU is 'thug u' because it's basketball team is much more successful than Iowa's, combined with lots of irrational and jealous fans of course.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
i feel like more cyclone fanatics should like mccabe - both can't stand hawkeye fans.

i'm with fran on this one. mccabe took more ^%$% from his own fans than any kid deserves - if mccabe decided he'd had enough one night and decked an idiot in a bar, so be it.

I kind of agree with this but his in-game judo toss added to it made it seem like he just has a rage issue.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
...His demeanor, recruiting, and decision making down the stretches of games has prevented him from being considered elite....QUOTE]

I think this is the first time I've ever seen MadFran being referenced with the elite. He even has a ways to go before his blowups can be considered elite, ala Bobby Knight.

FG80

Sep 20, 2012
Fran is a pretty smart guy, and he is not a bad coach. His demeanor, recruiting, and decision making down the stretches of games has prevented him from being considered elite.

He has actually hurt his team over and over with his rage. i don't think it is an act, I think he is genuinely angry. The fact that he passes on responsibility for his actions should be a red flag too.

As far as recruiting, there is no way that he ever thought it would be as tough as it has been at Iowa. Unless you are Cal, you are never going to get everyone you want, but they have been reduced to 7-8 choices in recruits where a mediocre iowa is the kid's best offer.

As far as his coaching goes, just how many times can you lose games the same way?

And the fact he passes on the responsibility of his players' actions such as McCabe. That quote of his is embarrassing.

Don't blame McCabe? Was he forced to have those people following him on twitter? If he was so upset with what they were saying, why didn't he remove them as friends/followers?

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014
I thought this thread was going to be about Scott Christopherson starting his own University.

LMAO
View attachment 27951

scott-christopherson.jpg

cylove

Jul 14, 2014
...His demeanor, recruiting, and decision making down the stretches of games has prevented him from being considered elite....QUOTE]

I think this is the first time I've ever seen MadFran being referenced with the elite. He even has a ways to go before his blowups can be considered elite, ala Bobby Knight.

I'm saying his resume is in itself impressive. I think the perception of him is he's a good, not great, coach.

His temper and referee persecution complex cause him to lose control. That loss of control results in mistakes on the sidelines. Those mistakes cause losses, which in turn, prevent him from being considered elite.

Better?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
And the fact he passes on the responsibility of his players' actions such as McCabe. That quote of his is embarrassing.

Don't blame McCabe? Was he forced to have those people following him on twitter? If he was so upset with what they were saying, why didn't he remove them as friends/followers?

Because problems can only be solved with physical contact. But don't lose a fight, otherwise you're a loser. Fran reminds me more and more of John Goodman in Revenge of the Nerds all the time.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'm saying his resume is in itself impressive. I think the perception of him is he's a good, not great, coach.

His temper and referee persecution complex cause him to lose control. That loss of control results in mistakes on the sidelines. Those mistakes cause losses, which in turn, prevent him from being considered elite.

Better?

Please elaborate.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

You don't have to be following someone to tweet at them. All they need to know is what your Twitter handle is and they can tweet at you.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Quite confident we don't ever have to worry about Fred saying such a stupid thing.

Of course not. An ISU player wouldn't ever win a bar fight, so why would Fred need to think about such things?

:jimlad:

FG80

Sep 20, 2012
You don't have to be following someone to tweet at them. All they need to know is what your Twitter handle is and they can tweet at you.

And you can also block them.

I guess if someone kept tweeting BS about me to me, I would not keep letting them do it. But that is just me.

McCabe was bashing a Hawkeye quarterback on twitter so what goes around, comes around.

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Have you ever actually heard somebody call isu thug u in real life? Or just message boards?

Yes, by friends who I do not consider to be tavernhawks, but fairly intelligent Iowa alumni. They are about half serious, half giving me crap.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

You can make it so only people you follow show up in your notifications IIRC. That's what I would do if I was a celebrity or athlete. I would hate to see what some things were said about me after I starting playing poorly.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
You can make it so only people you follow show up in your notifications IIRC. That's what I would do if I was a celebrity or athlete. I would hate to see what some things were said about me after I starting playing poorly.

IF they're in the pros, or play for UK and Baylor they can wipe their tears with $100's

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
Fran has taken four different programs that were in the crapper to the NCAA tournament. thats impressive and likely exactly why he was hired.

however, his rotations and coaching are mystifying and likely the reason there appears to be a ceiling on his success potential as a coach. it would not surprise me to see him take another rebuilding job although the age of his kids may make that tough.

the perceived rage (real or not) doesnt bother me in the least. those personalities are all over sports. hes not boring and appears to be intelligent and candid, if not a bit prone to hyperbole.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Fran has taken four different programs that were in the crapper to the NCAA tournament. thats impressive and likely exactly why he was hired.

however, his rotations and coaching are mystifying and likely the reason there appears to be a ceiling on his success potential as a coach. it would not surprise me to see him take another rebuilding job although the age of his kids may make that tough.

the perceived rage (real or not) doesnt bother me in the least. those personalities are all over sports. hes not boring and appears to be intelligent and candid, if not a bit prone to hyperbole.

How can anyone claim that it's not real, at this point?

Also, as a Wisconsin fan, why would it bother you at all?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa

Unfortunately for Fran and all coaching jobs in general, job security is kind of out of your control. It all depends upon the standards of the Athletic Director and his administration. If Fran isn't able to continue to his success he may no longer be the coach at Iowa.