Threw my back out...

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Any suggestions on remedies to possibly speed up the healing process? I did it this morning doing some home remodeling. It’s a bit better this evening. Been icing and IB-Profun. Any suggestions would be great.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Any suggestions on remedies to possibly speed up the healing process? I did it this morning doing some home remodeling. It’s a bit better this evening. Been icing and IB-Profun. Any suggestions would be great.

Hot bath gets me back up right the quickest.

CyJam

Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO

You're on the right track.

Physical therapy has been the only thing that helps me long term. I have problems in both my lower back and neck. Take a look at youtube, you should be able to find some exercises for your specific issue.

And find a good therapist if this is a recurring problem.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I prefer physical therapists to chiropractors because PTs help you strengthen your core and develop muscles that prevent the problems happening. Chiropractors provide a quick fix, but seems like you have to just go back to them over and over.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
You're on the right track.

Physical therapy has been the only thing that helps me long term. I have problems in both my lower back and neck. Take a look at youtube, you should be able to find some exercises for your specific issue.

And find a good therapist if this is a recurring problem.

I’ve never had any back issues in my life, granted I’m only 27. I’ve had a few strains and sports related things with my lower back and always seem to recover pretty quick. This was one of the worst I’ve experienced, though when it happened.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
To be honest, it may not be the correct answer but I'll use the hard foam roller at the gym when my back is a little tender. That really helps me out.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I was initially skeptical as well. It’s really helpful and I would highly recommend giving it a shot

Maybe I’ll give it a shot next week. A bunch of co-workers of my wife go to the same one and I’ve heard good things.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Never been. Always been a little skeptical.
I went for the first time a few years ago. I held up a 60" goal setter style backboard off the bed of my pickup while my wife put bolts thru the metal arms. Luckily it gave out after the bolts were in.

Getting cracked really helped.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
I used to throw mine out twice a year but I haven’t now for a few years thanks to a few life changes. Stretching every day, specifically the hamstrings. Core work is also good. I am anti chiropractor but some swear by them. I also replaced my bed which may have caused some of it. In answer to your original question, I never found a good remedy. Probably ice for the first 24 hours and heat later. And drugs. Lots of drugs!

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
Never been. Always been a little skeptical.
I would also recommend a chiropractor, but make sure you find a good one. You don't want to go through life with a bad back. And don't wait too long. Whatever is out of place may want to stay there.

I'm a little biased as I have a friend that is a chiropractor. I avoided him for a long time, but when I hurt my back such that it was hard to go down stairs normally, it was time to do something. It took a while to get it fixed, but that was years ago and I haven't had a problem since.

Last edited:
Reactions: CY22 and cyfan21