Thoughts on Naz as a grad assistant? Possible? Good/bad idea?

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
He's expressed interest in coaching. Would it be a good call on his, and the coaching staff, part to start that process here? It would be a pretty amazing fit, as he seemed to really flourish in that role during his red shirt year. Perhaps he has had enough of Ames for a while, but it would seem more pro than con to me. I honestly don't have a ton of knowledge of how that process works, and it may be a horrible idea, but one that struck me as interesting today as I continue to mourn the loss of this amazing senior class.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm sure he could if he wanted to. There was an article in the Gazette about Naz being a coach some day, but Prohm mentioned that he will probably be making money playing basketball for a while. And there's always a chance that he might want to start his career in coaching learning from someone he hasn't played for.

I have no doubt that Naz (and all of the other seniors) will be very successful and will make all of us proud.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Sucks we're going to have to wait 10-15 years at least for guys like Naz, Niang, Thomas and Morris to possibl come back as coaches. I would be shocked if at least Niang and Naz don't try coaching at some point.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I hope Naz gets himself paid and gets himself a ton more experience playing and being coached overseas or in the D-League for a long time.

However, once he is ready to hang up his shoes, I would love him back as a GA or assistant. I cannot think of a former ISU player -- Georges included -- who I would think would make a better coach, in our program (though any) once he is ready for that role.

I would love Prohm to give Naz the keys to his office someday, after the former had a long and productive career in Ames, breaking Johnny's all-time wins records, and after the latter had his fun playing and worked his way to deserve the center of the magic.*

*as if he hadn't already

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I love the thought of Naz on the Iowa State bench as I think he could be a very good recruiter. I'm guessing he wants to get out of Ames for awhile, but I'm sure that door will always be open, especially if Prohm is still here

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I agree with those that said he'll probably play overseas.
He was much more explosive to the lane and jump step type moves. His hips must be a lot better.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Yeah, I too have to guess that he'd still want to lace up the hoop shoes and play. The guy loves to compete. I think his mom's heritage is Greek; if he could qualify for an EU passport, that would open even more options for him. If he ended up in Italy, he might be in the same league as Ejim, Mc3 and Hogue (if they all re-sign).

MuseumFaux

May 9, 2014
Ames
That all makes sense. I hope that he makes his money too. It will be exciting to see if any of these guys make the transition to coach someday. It will be fun to cheer them all on regardless of where they end up.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
My thoughts on Naz becoming an assistant coach @ ISU. A bad idea? I really don't know how that could possibly be a bad idea. Nuff said.

• Funny
Reactions: CycoCyclone

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I'd love Naz after he cashes in, regarding Thomas the video I saw joked about how he was the stickler for doing every drill correctly. Sounds like a future coach to me as well.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
All of the anti-Visa and anti-NAFTA sentiment isn't going to make work visas any easier to get and they aren't that easy for non high tech jobs. Not going to be as easy as "We love ya Naz, come on down!" And we do love our Naz.

fenton06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2011
Ankeny, IA
All of the anti-Visa and anti-NAFTA sentiment isn't going to make work visas any easier to get and they aren't that easy for non high tech jobs. Not going to be as easy as "We love ya Naz, come on down!" And we do love our Naz.

I highly doubt that'll be a problem for the university.