Thoughts Heading Into Spring Practice

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
1. I think the QB competition comes down to Rohach/ Lanning next year. Depending on the offense we choose to run with the new OC, I think it remains similar with the amount of QB runs and Rohach and Lanning are more durable compared to Richardson. Lanning has the strongest arm on the team, it will be interesting to see his progression and who the coaches think gives us the best shot to win games.

2. I see Alton Meeks being the MLB of the future. There has been much talk about the misses on the recruiting trail, but there has been minimal talk about Meeks. He was down to Iowa State, Michigan State, and Florida State out of high school. Also, with him playing QB and originally committing to Cincy as a QB, it gives him the offensive perspective as well when he is playing MLB.

3. From everything I hear from my sources, it sounds like Campos has a great shot to start next season. The coaches are very high on him, and he was pretty highly rated out of high school. It will be interesting to see where he fits into the rotation next season.

4. One overlooked aspect of the defense is who will replace Willie Scott next season? No, he didn't have an excellent senior season, but he did have a pretty sound year. He will be a much tougher replacement than people think. Can Mitchell Meyers step up into that role?

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
You take Rohach and Lanning on your team. And I will take Richardson and Hodge on my team......

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think we need to let Rhoads finish his JUCO recruiting before we get too far into thinking about Spring practice. It has certainly changed this week with getting two big safeties.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I think/hope Rhoads has figured out that he needs to adapt the offense to the QB rather than the other way around. If he had done that the last several years I think we'd be looking at a different story in our offensive success.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
1. I think the QB competition comes down to Rohach/ Lanning next year. Depending on the offense we choose to run with the new OC, I think it remains similar with the amount of QB runs and Rohach and Lanning are more durable compared to Richardson. Lanning has the strongest arm on the team, it will be interesting to see his progression and who the coaches think gives us the best shot to win games.

2. I see Alton Meeks being the MLB of the future. There has been much talk about the misses on the recruiting trail, but there has been minimal talk about Meeks. He was down to Iowa State, Michigan State, and Florida State out of high school. Also, with him playing QB and originally committing to Cincy as a QB, it gives him the offensive perspective as well when he is playing MLB.

3. From everything I hear from my sources, it sounds like Campos has a great shot to start next season. The coaches are very high on him, and he was pretty highly rated out of high school. It will be interesting to see where he fits into the rotation next season.

4. One overlooked aspect of the defense is who will replace Willie Scott next season? No, he didn't have an excellent senior season, but he did have a pretty sound year. He will be a much tougher replacement than people think. Can Mitchell Meyers step up into that role?

I think the DE opposite Morrissey is big, simply because a breakout year by somebody at that position and steady improvement by Morrissey, Irving, and Coe and we have a legitimate DL. Campos and the other young guys on the OL look great physically, if a bit lean and lanky. It's all about development. As for Lanning, the coaches are high on him, and yes he's got the tangibles. However accuracy and making the right reads are probably 90% of what makes a QB good. Arm strength is simply icing on the cake.

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
Our 4 front should be good next year since Morrissey, Irving, Coe, Jensen, and Krick will all be seniors. In addition we might add a Juco DE or move Kron to the other DE spot. If our D-line is not good next year I'm scared to see how to they would do in 2015.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Don't count out Richardson just yet. He was injured this year and both QB's were honestly handicapped by coaching/lack of development. I would bet that Richardson makes a run at the #1 spot again next year.

mikedp

Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
I haven't given up on Richardson being the guy, better mobility and his arm is no worse that Rohach. Competition makes both better, let the race begin. 8-4 season next fall. You saw it here first.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What is the expectation of Big Dawg Williams?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

This is how I know you didn't actually watch the games. We basically stopped running designed QB runs and the zone read once Rohach became the QB. Once you take out sacks he ran about 1/4 of the number of times that Richardson did. Its certainly possible that Rohach is more durable than Richardson, but I have no idea how you would think that based on what we saw. Rohach just wasn't ran into the ground. Who knows how Rohach would have held up running as much as they had Richardson run, and who knows how Richardson would have held up if he'd only run 1/4 as often.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This is how I know you didn't actually watch the games. We basically stopped running designed QB runs and the zone read once Rohach became the QB. Once you take out sacks he ran about 1/4 of the number of times that Richardson did. Its certainly possible that Rohach is more durable than Richardson, but I have no idea how you would think that based on what we saw. Rohach just wasn't ran into the ground. Who knows how Rohach would have held up running as much as they had Richardson run, and who knows how Richardson would have held up if he'd only run 1/4 as often.

True. And even put Richardson in to run at strategic points.

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA

We still ran them both. We didn't completely stop running the QB Zone Read, clearly you didn't watch the West Virginia game where Rohach broke a 54 yard TD run off of the designed zone read play. And obviously we didn't run Rohach as much, because we had no one else to play if he went down. It would be the exact same if Rohach and Richardson switched roles at the beginning of the season, the only reason we limited running the QB is we only had Creekmur to play if Rohach went down. So please don't tell me I didn't watch the games. Rohach ran the ball nearly 50 times, and you don't always have to run the ball to get hit. Richardson was listed 5 different times on the injury report for different injuries, and not once for his ankle. It isn't possible to prove it in a debate, which I do respect your opinion, and in my opinion Lanning is by far the most durable of the 3.

CychoCyclone

Oct 27, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Here's the thing, I think with the right coach in place richardson and rohach could both be really good... I think rohach has a better arm and richardson is obviously the better runner... both of them definitely seemed to have some pretty solid moments... if both healthy and with better coaching its really hard to say which guy could be better... and I'm not even gonna bring lanning into the debate cuz I've literally never seen him play... I just think we have 2 guys right now who have the potential to be really solid QBs... it'll definitely be interesting to watch this play out...

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I hope we develop more of a pass-first offensive mindset.

It seems to me we were most productive when in that mode (KU, WVU games and late against the hoks). With the improvement in receivers this year and Montgomery and Lazard added to the toolbox, it seems to me that would be making use of the strengths of the team. Rohach seems to be adequate or better in the role of passer and if one of the other QB's should turn out to be better - then it seems like a no-brainer. Once you get the opposing defense spread out the running game should be more effective.