Thoughts from OSU - Baylor

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
* it is sad how far the attendance at OSU has dropped. There is no one there compared to the some of the great old OSU games.

* Forte just ran around dribbling like he was part of the Globetrotters for 30 seconds, and then when Drew told Baylor to NOT foul, they fouled. That is part of the Baylor is Baylor is Baylor rule.

* The big12 road is brutal. This is why the WVU win was great, but also why we needed the TT win. Most of the roadtrips will be difficult, but we're going to get a few more road wins!!

DiehardClone

Jan 29, 2014
I've also been struck by how terrible the attendance is at GIA. They have a decent team this year, a team that with a few breaks could be dancing in March, and yet their upper level looked to be more than half empty last night against Baylor. Not sure if any OSU fans are lurking here but it'd be interesting to hear their explanation on this.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
No offense, but GIA used to be up there with AFH, and better than Hilton at its best.

It will never get back to that though.

Why is that? Energy taking away fan dollars from the state?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've also been struck by how terrible the attendance is at GIA. They have a decent team this year, a team that with a few breaks could be dancing in March, and yet their upper level looked to be more than half empty last night against Baylor. Not sure if any OSU fans are lurking here but it'd be interesting to hear their explanation on this.
The upper level was half empty? That's honestly a good night for them from what I've seen over the years.

76Jayhawk

Aug 11, 2013
Why is that? Energy taking away fan dollars from the state?

There are a couple of reasons.

1) They raised the roof of GIA. Before it was freaking awesome. While small, it was loud, packed and they had consistently solid teams year in and year out. There was a great atmosphere that was specifically college like. Now, its just a big ugly arena and no where near as loud as it used to be.
2) OSU has focused a great deal of their resources to compete in football and they clearly dont care about basketball and havent since Sutton Sr retired.
3) The Thunder have moved many of the casual - likely to go to a college game - fans away. They watch OKC now, and dont much care for college hoops anymore.

76Jayhawk

Aug 11, 2013
Its happened at OU too. Norman was never a truly intimidating place like AFH, GIA or Hilton but it did used to be packed every game.

If you guys are old enough to remember the old Big 8 games, there was hardly an arena outside of Lincoln and Boulder that wasnt crazy.