This recruiting class needs to include a Tight End

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
This class really needs to include a tight end. Barkema and Derrick Cattlet are the only real tight ends we have coming back. What does everyone else think?

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
It really probably doesn't. From what I understand, McFarland's offense will use an H-back, some sort of fullback/tight end combination. It will be a different spread offense than what Barney ran. This will be more receivers and short passes. Barney's spread had a TE in to block instead of out running routes.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
I think we are recruiting some JC H-back/TE prospect in Messersmith. Maybe there will be some position changes here to with Schultz and Lamaak perhaps moving. No one really knows how good Catlett is.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Didn't Ditka have a quote along the lines of "If God had wanted man to play soccer, He wouldn't have given us arms. "

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
How about a place kicker too, have we got any commits from one yet? Shaggy has never been able to make the clutch kicks and time and time again those kicks have come back to bite us. I'm tired of going the walk-on route. As close as Ankeny is to Ames you'd think we'd be able to recruit whoever is kicking there and they've had some pretty good kickers come out of that school.

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
We have three on scholarship right now. Two redshirt freshman and Shaggy. Plus a freshman redshirt punter. To hand out another scholarship might be tough. Hopefully those guys have been out in the pasture this summer kicking balls over the machine shed and are ready to go!

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
How about a place kicker too, have we got any commits from one yet? Shaggy has never been able to make the clutch kicks and time and time again those kicks have come back to bite us. I'm tired of going the walk-on route. As close as Ankeny is to Ames you'd think we'd be able to recruit whoever is kicking there and they've had some pretty good kickers come out of that school.

Shaggy has missed some key kicks at key times, but he's also been very good at other times. Missing kicks early in the game can be almost as detrimental to the win as missing kicks late. If you can get a sure thing, I'm sure you'd go for it. But I wouldn't necessarily take a flyer on someone. We've taken plenty of flyers, walkons mostly I guess, that haven't been that good.

If it was easy to find a good kicker, how could Michigan, Florida State or any other big time program ever have trouble finding a good one.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Sometimes ypu have a tight end so you can run different plays to mix it up. That is what Callahan does.