Things to do in Omaha?

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
...And if you do that, take the time to stop at the Holy Family Shrine at the top of the hill on the south side of the road near Gretna (south and then east of the truck stop on the south side of the interstate. A spring runs from the altar into a fountain in the visitors' center... Very cool.

View attachment 24694

We drove thru Omaha a lot one summer and I finally had to stop and see WTF that place was. It was one of the odder places I've been in my life. Maybe it was because it was getting dark, but I kinda felt glad to leave. And not just Omaha :jimlad:

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I'm sorry, I forgot my most important tip.

Drive back and forth past Warren Buffett's house and when he comes out, ask him if he will adopt you.

Warren-Buffett-Address.jpg

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
No zoo mention? It is open for parts in the winter. Kennewick Park. Lauritzen Gardens anytime but the winter. Bob Kerry Pedestrian Bridge at night. Ralston Arena for sports in winter. Opera Omaha. Century Link. Totally new 120 store Outlet Mall at Gretna.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Suggestions:
-Dubliner - live Irish music in a basement
-Homy Inn - dive bar with champagne on tap
-Slowdown - good live music
-Zoo is certainly worthwhile
-New area around TD Ameritrade Park has plenty of cool bars and restaurants
-Old Market is the same

I'm surprised at all the people dogging on Omaha and saying Des Moines is better. IMO they're pretty much the same.

kickout

Aug 30, 2013
Second the people saying Dundee. Its a great area with great bars/ food.

People like Pitch Pizza in Dundee

Would recommend Jazz in the old market. Jambalya for sure....

Also, I highly recommend Josyln art museum. Well worth the admisson, if you like art or that stuff

As for the money, can't recommend Anthony's steakhouse. If you want a good steak, go to 801 chophouse. Yes, it's expensive.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Blue Sushi down in the old market is a fun trendy place with great sushi if that interests you at all. Attached to Blue is also the Sake Bombers lounge which is pretty fun as well. When I say attached, it is kind of all in one with the same ownership with the SBL on the top level. You can still order Blue sushi up there as well.

http://www.bluesushisakegrill.com/locations/

Last edited:

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Blue Sushi down in the old market is a fun trendy place with great sushi if that interests you at all. Attached to Blue is also the Sake Bombers lounge which is pretty fun as well. When I say attached, it is kind of all in one with the same ownership with the SBL on the top level. You can still order Blue sushi up there as well.

Locations « Blue Sushi Sake Grill

Ponzu (sp?) Sushi in Aksarban has some really tasty fish tacos.

Also, I am going out to Lucky Bucket this weekend. Anyone ever been?

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Leave. Seriously, Des Moines beats the **** out of Omaha all day.

If you insist on staying despite my concern/advice; the old market has lots of restaurants and bars. Rock Bottom Tap has tap tables, the Dubliners has great live irish music, Roja has excellent Margaritas. Really just about any food type and bar type you could ask for.

Old Market Business District - Home

Dundee has some decent places and is more of a hipster hangout. Mark's, Pitch and Goldberg's are all good for food/drink.

West Omaha has some decent spots but is really spread out with no character.

Ummmmmm.....no.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
zio's pizza

/thread.

Most overrated pizza on the planet. Just not that good IMO.

Best restaurant in Omaha is Dario's Brasserie in Dundee. Amazing food and huge selection of Belgian beer.

As for downtown, V Mertz is the place to go if you're looking to drop some serious coin on a meal. I've also heard good things about The Boiler Room. Nicola's has really good Italian. I've always like Upstream, good beer, solid food.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
At least nobody has said Runza.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Reading this thread I realize I have lived in Omaha since '97 and I know nothing about this town.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Most overrated pizza on the planet. Just not that good IMO.

Best restaurant in Omaha is Dario's Brasserie in Dundee. Amazing food and huge selection of Belgian beer.

As for downtown, V Mertz is the place to go if you're looking to drop some serious coin on a meal. I've also heard good things about The Boiler Room. Nicola's has really good Italian. I've always like Upstream, good beer, solid food.
Darios is good along with Pitch. Dundee has a few restaurants while Benson has young young up and coming bars. New Midtown and Aksarben area have some great restaurants like Crave. The inner ring part of Omaha is experiencing a renewal west around 40th-60th street. The midtown cinema has free parking and a serve as you watch restaurant.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'd eat some fried carp then try to drown myself in one of those dirt rivers

You talking about Joe Tess? I loved that place when I was a pup. Went back for the first time in over 20 years ago two summers ago. Other than the location, that place was still ****ing awesome.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You talking about Joe Tess? I loved that place when I was a pup. Went back for the first time in over 20 years ago two summers ago. Other than the location, that place was still ****ing awesome.

The famous fish carp at JoeTs is being pulled from Okiboji lakes and then stored in local pond until eaten.