*****The Super, Mega, Huge Big 12 Expansion Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
so why do OSU regents really need to meet at this point?

If the pissin match is still on-going between dOUchebags and Texas, then OSU needs to just sit tight and see which one breaks it off...

If OSU has to move, they can rubberstamp it on the fly...

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Even if we manage to pull this thing from the fire (again) how do we ever trust the parties involved?

To me, having gone through this twice now, there are some schools here who are only waiting for the right $$ number...

Ironclad contract (no loopholes) with massive departure penalties.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I'm glad to hear that the NCAA prez has been contacting university presidents and urging them to consider the well-being of the student-athletes. That seems to be working.

Also, I'm glad that the NCAA prez has said that superconferences are nothing more than conjecture. Seeing the ACC go to 14 and the SEC conditionally accept A&M had me worried for a while.

Finally, I'm glad that one Texas state representative has made his wishes known that Texas schools don't head out to the coasts. I'm confident that his opinion has swayed the Texas schools to save the Big 12 for the greater good of Texans.

Page 2: Oklahoma, Texas Clear Path to Leave Big 12 - ABC News
The NCAA has no authority over conference affiliations, though NCAA President Mark Emmert said Monday that he has been contacting university presidents and conference commissioners. He said he is urging them to consider the well-being of the student-athletes.

Emmert also said talk of having four or five superconferences is nothing more than conjecture.

Texas lawmakers are watching the situation but are unlikely to interfere, said state Rep. Dan Branch, the Republican chairman of House Higher Education Committee.
Branch said he has told Texas regents and administrators he would like the state's major universities to be rooted in a conference in the middle of the country -- not one that is "Los Angeles or Atlantic-centric."

"I hope they will also take into consideration the greater good for Texans," Branch said. "(But) I understand in this new world, we've got to allow those regents and presidents to make those decisions."

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Please say how it's bad to be Texas's ***** vs the other alternatives. We need money. TX in our conference provides that. Plus if you have 9 other schools...TX has one voice. So they make an extra 15 mil a year...who cares? we don't compete (moneywise) with them and we NEVER will. Point is we get paid....and we do more with less (which is way more than a Bigeast/forgotten 5 merger) TX pipeline intact...etc

Everyone throws around terms like "texas greed" and "being their *****" but i'd like to see examples. Please read the numerous other posts about how the LHN is merely their 3rd tier rights...we have a deal for our 3rd tier rights. Are we greedy?

Great post. OU, Nebraska and A&M are the real culprits in all this.

They wanted this, because in their warped minds they thought they would be Texas or at least even with Texas. Once they saw Texas was better at not sharing they all cried like babies at what they had previously demanded.

If the Big East breaks up we now have REAL options to strengthen the Big 12 back to 12.

Current 9 teams, BYU, then our pick of 2, 4 or 6 teams from the most desirable Big East teams and possibly one CUSA team like UCF.

We could build a new 12 or 14 team conference that is stronger than the original Big 12. BYU > CU in many ways. Louisville, South Florida/UCF and Cincy may not bring Nebraska's tradition and cache on the football field but each of those markets dwarf's Nebraska's population that is only half of Iowa's population.

RackEm

Jul 19, 2011
Great post. OU, Nebraska and A&M are the real culprits in all this.

They wanted this, because in their warped minds they thought they would be Texas or at least even with Texas. Once they saw Texas was better at not sharing they all cried like babies at what they had previously demanded.

If the Big East breaks up we now have REAL options to strengthen the Big 12 back to 12.

Current 9 teams, BYU, then our pick of 2, 4 or 6 teams from the most desirable Big East teams and possibly one CUSA team like UCF.

We could build a new 12 or 14 team conference that is stronger than the original Big 12. BYU > CU in many ways. Louisville, South Florida/UCF and Cincy may not bring Nebraska's tradition and cache on the football field but each of those markets dwarf's Nebraska's population that is only half of Iowa's population.

The only options would be TCU, Cincy, Louisvile and S. Florida. Rutgers is going to the ACC or B1G, UConn is heading to the ACC, WVA is heading to the SEC, and the non-football schools are discussing forming a new non-football conference.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I'm glad to hear that the NCAA prez has been contacting university presidents and urging them to consider the well-being of the student-athletes. That seems to be working.

Also, I'm glad that the NCAA prez has said that superconferences are nothing more than conjecture. Seeing the ACC go to 14 and the SEC conditionally accept A&M had me worried for a while.

Finally, I'm glad that one Texas state representative has made his wishes known that Texas schools don't head out to the coasts. I'm confident that his opinion has swayed the Texas schools to save the Big 12 for the greater good of Texans.

Page 2: Oklahoma, Texas Clear Path to Leave Big 12 - ABC News
The NCAA has no authority over conference affiliations, though NCAA President Mark Emmert said Monday that he has been contacting university presidents and conference commissioners. He said he is urging them to consider the well-being of the student-athletes.

Emmert also said talk of having four or five superconferences is nothing more than conjecture.

Texas lawmakers are watching the situation but are unlikely to interfere, said state Rep. Dan Branch, the Republican chairman of House Higher Education Committee.
Branch said he has told Texas regents and administrators he would like the state's major universities to be rooted in a conference in the middle of the country -- not one that is "Los Angeles or Atlantic-centric."

"I hope they will also take into consideration the greater good for Texans," Branch said. "(But) I understand in this new world, we've got to allow those regents and presidents to make those decisions."

images

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Even if we manage to pull this thing from the fire (again) how do we ever trust the parties involved?

To me, having gone through this twice now, there are some schools here who are only waiting for the right $$ number...

That's why the Forgotten 5 (or whatever the number is now) insists upon the $50-$100 million death penalty in this negotiations, or tells Texas and Oklahoma to have fun trying to get into the Pac 1X. Why? Because without a significant number of dollars that would even cause Texas and Oklahoma pain, we'll just be right in this spot next year.

So basically it's like this - the forgotten schools tell OU and Texas to sign the death penalty clause or we're going to take our chances with a Big East merger without you and hope one of the other conferences is merciful enough to pick us up, because without this clause at some point the forgotten schools will be merging with them anyway.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The only options would be TCU, Cincy, Louisvile and S. Florida. Rutgers is going to the ACC or B1G, UConn is heading to the ACC, WVA is heading to the SEC, and the non-football schools are discussing forming a new non-football conference.

I agree, I posted the same in another thread. Our possibilities for quality expansion without triggering more musical chairs still increase greatly.

BYU for ten, then between Louisville, Cincy, TCU, South Florida, UCF, and Houston take 2, 4 or 6 teams according to what we view as our best interest.

My personal preference would be BYU for sure, then Louisville, South Florida, TCU, Cincy to go to 14.

Footprint is as populous as anyone getting us into very populous states like Ohio and Florida, BYU gets back into the mountain region and has a national following.

5-10 years down the road a 14 team league like that could get poached a little and still survive. Living as an 8-9 team league is just asking to get wiped out.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Anybody else found a whole new respect for Baylor in all of this? I mean, I wondered what a small private religious school was doing in a conference of large state schools, but God, I am glad they are here now.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
That's why the Forgotten 5 (or whatever the number is now) insists upon the $50-$100 million death penalty in this negotiations, or tells Texas and Oklahoma to have fun trying to get into the Pac 1X. Why? Because without a significant number of dollars that would even cause Texas and Oklahoma pain, we'll just be right in this spot next year.

So basically it's like this - the forgotten schools tell OU and Texas to sign the death penalty clause or we're going to take our chances with a Big East merger without you and hope one of the other conferences is merciful enough to pick us up, because without this clause at some point the forgotten schools will be merging with them anyway.
I'd like to think this is happening, but I would guess it more like - sure go ahead, but ken starr thinks we have a VERY, VERY good case so if you go you are in breach of a 10 year agreement worth over a billion dollars, but if you stay than sign here because we aren't going through this again next year...hopefully this is on the table, but who is the leader of the forgotten five negotiating the terms of maintaining the conference? two probably have options and are leary of being party to the suit...

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
How many conference members does it take to change the conference by-laws?

Couldn't 8 schools vote to change the revenue split, or did all the schools sign a contract that replaced the ability to do things like this?

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Most often, it seems, I've seen the "superconference" concept mentioned as four sixteen team conferences with spots for only sixty-four (I did the math for any non-AAU or SEC fans lurking). But, "Emmert also said talk of having four or five superconferences is nothing more than conjecture." Aside from all superconferfences being conjecture, if it moves past conjecture, perhaps there could be five. (again 5 x 16 = 80)

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Most often, it seems, I've seen the "superconference" concept mentioned as four sixteen team conferences with spots for only sixty-four (I did the math for any non-AAU or SEC fans lurking). But, "Emmert also said talk of having four or five superconferences is nothing more than conjecture." Aside from all superconferfences being conjecture, if it moves past conjecture, perhaps there could be five. (again 5 x 16 = 80)

They NEED at large bids for several reasons. An 8 team playoff with 4 or 5 auto bids makes the most sense.

Without at large bids any non-conference game would be totally meaningless in the National Champion picture. That would really ruin college football. People are fine with 9/12 games being in conference, but 12/12 conference games would get boring after a while. Plus the big teams pad their schedules and revenues with non-conf home games with no return trip and would never give that up. Why turn those games from REAL games into virtual pre-season games?

It also gives potential access, real or hypothetical, to all FBS level teams. One spot could even be reserved for the highest ranked non AQ FBS team.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
An interesting read on one guy's opinion on why Notre Dame should go to the ACC. The end sums it up pretty well...

Notre Dame should jump to the ACC ... and fast - College Football - Rivals.com

Is there ACC interest in Notre Dame? Of course. The ACC is trying to add enough strength to withstand any attempted future raids from the SEC or Big Ten. Notre Dame may or may not be enough, but no one fortifies the league like the Irish.

“No other school brings to the table what Notre Dame does,” the athletic director said. “I think we’d all feel better if they are with us.”

This is essentially about choosing the location of your new home.

The Midwest is local, familiar and perhaps safe.

The ACC, however, offers everything from the high school football factories of Florida to the academic power of Duke and Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic to the big subway-alum cities stretching from Washington to Boston. That’s especially true if Rutgers came along as the 16th member.

It’s simply a more appealing geographic and demographic option than the old Big Ten. Especially in the decades to come.

Yes, independence is preferred. It’s what makes Notre Dame unique and it’s a point of pride for the alums. No one associated with the Irish wants to see it go.
Sometimes scenarios force hands, however, and if the point of no return is coming, then Notre Dame should make the move to a better option now than simply settling for its long-expected conference spot.

jmarter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2010
@PeteThamelNYT: Just filed a Big East story. Big East will hold Pitt and Syracuse to their exit contract, meaning a June 2014 exit.

This can't be good news, can it? If OU, TEX, ect decide they are going west, I would think that any merge with the BE is on hold for a couple more seasons. What would we do for the next two seasons? Still looking like our only hope is for OU & TEX to come to their senses and hold this thing together. Let A&M go, take their money, and bring in BYU. Oh, and hope that the SEC doesn't pilfer Missouri.

GeminiCy

Jan 8, 2011
Re: ND to ACC

An interesting read on one guy's opinion on why Notre Dame should go to the ACC. The end sums it up pretty well...

Notre Dame should jump to the ACC ... and fast - College Football - Rivals.com

Is there ACC interest in Notre Dame? Of course. The ACC is trying to add enough strength to withstand any attempted future raids from the SEC or Big Ten. Notre Dame may or may not be enough, but no one fortifies the league like the Irish.

“No other school brings to the table what Notre Dame does,” the athletic director said. “I think we’d all feel better if they are with us.”

This is essentially about choosing the location of your new home.

The Midwest is local, familiar and perhaps safe.

The ACC, however, offers everything from the high school football factories of Florida to the academic power of Duke and Virginia in the Mid-Atlantic to the big subway-alum cities stretching from Washington to Boston. That’s especially true if Rutgers came along as the 16th member.

It’s simply a more appealing geographic and demographic option than the old Big Ten. Especially in the decades to come.

Yes, independence is preferred. It’s what makes Notre Dame unique and it’s a point of pride for the alums. No one associated with the Irish wants to see it go.
Sometimes scenarios force hands, however, and if the point of no return is coming, then Notre Dame should make the move to a better option now than simply settling for its long-expected conference spot.

Having seen ND mentioned earlier for the Pac 12, I thought of that when I saw this:

fivethirtyeight-0919-geocolfootball-topTVND-blog480.png

The Geography of College Football Fans (and Realignment Chaos) - NYTimes.com

fwiw

May 20, 2009
@PeteThamelNYT: Just filed a Big East story. Big East will hold Pitt and Syracuse to their exit contract, meaning a June 2014 exit.

This can't be good news, can it? If OU, TEX, ect decide they are going west, I would think that any merge with the BE is on hold for a couple more seasons. What would we do for the next two seasons? Still looking like our only hope is for OU & TEX to come to their senses and hold this thing together. Let A&M go, take their money, and bring in BYU. Oh, and hope that the SEC doesn't pilfer Missouri.

Right, the BE requires something like a 27 month notice. But that may not be a showstopper if the B12 and BE merge. If there's a merger I'm guessing those exit waiting periods would be waived.

In Pitt's and Syracuse's case, giving the middle finger to the conference yesterday didn't exactly make the BE too agreeable to moving up the timetable for them.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Right, the BE requires something like a 27 month notice. But that may not be a showstopper if the B12 and BE merge. If there's a merger I'm guessing those exit waiting periods would be waived.

In Pitt's and Syracuse's case, giving the middle finger to the conference yesterday didn't exactly make the BE too agreeable to moving up the timetable for them.

That assumes there still is a Big East FB. Conference.

jmarter

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2010
That assumes there still is a Big East FB. Conference.

Well, with the 27 month notice, it would appear that the BE will remain intact for at least two seasons after this one. No reason there won't be one since Pit, Syracuse, WVu, Rutgers, or whoever else wishes to, can't leave immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.