The States Disappearing NBA Talent

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
After reading about Morris being Michigan's Mr. Basketball, I looked up the past Iowa winners.

Starting in 1991 the winners were Hoiberg, Pothoven, Settles, LaFrenz, Spanich, Wessel, Oliver, Newman, Collison and Hinrichs (co-winners). Also in that time frame were Korver, Bowen and Meyer. Out of that group were 6 players that had at least 10 year NBA careers plus Meyer and Oliver who had some NBA time.

Starting in 2000 the winners were Worley, McKinney, Horner, McKowen, Reed, Van Es, Bohannon, Vette, Gatens and Cougill. That a 10 year period were I don't think the state produced one player who even played in one NBA game (I may have missed someone).

Starting in 2010 the wiiners were Barnes, Uthoff, Paige and Jok. Barnes is in the NBA, also McDermott may eventually be.

What has caused the elite talent level of the state to drop so far. To go from six 10 year NBA veterans down to nothing for the next decade.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What were the 70s and 80s like? Is it that the 2000s were low or that the 90s were high?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
It seems top talent started trending to the Big 10 in the 2000's and the Big 12 in the 1990's. That's most likely why there was more NBA talent coming from the 90's.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
It seems top talent started trending to the Big 10 in the 2000's and the Big 12 in the 1990's. That's most likely why there was more NBA talent coming from the 90's.

I was going to note that those that played at Iowa and UNI have a dreadful lack of NBA time. ISU and KU do better. It would be interesting to note the other players from Iowa in that time that did end up with NBA time (Haluska rings a bell) to see if it is an actual decline, or a poor choice for Mr. Basketball in Iowa.

Btw, given this reasoning, Haluska's career in the NBA could have been better had he not transferred to EIU... ;)

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Fred will put players in the NBA. Whether they are former Iowa Mr. Basketball winners depends on the state of Iowa talent level.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Doug should enter the draft this summer. He'd go in the late first round somewhere. But I'm sure daddy will make him stay and stat-pad him one more year.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Considering the amount playing in youth club-basketball and the time devoted over the past 10-plus years, this is shocking. All that time devoted yet the number of players going to the NBA is down. Just doesn't correlate.

D

DistrictCyclone

Considering the amount playing in youth club-basketball and the time devoted over the past 10-plus years, this is shocking. All that time devoted yet the number of players going to the NBA is down. Just doesn't correlate.

This might have as much to do with more talent coming from other states, and the NBA netting more international players. It may not be that the state's talent has declined as much as it's been "crowded out" by other states/countries in the NBA.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Other than LaFrenz, Collison, and Hinrich, we haven't missed out on a whole lot coming out of Iowa.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I could be way off base, but is it perhaps that the elite athletes in Iowa are now choosing to persue football instead of basketball?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Iowa has around 1% of the USA population so why would anyone expect more than one or two players in the NBA from Iowa especially when you throw international players into the mix?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I didn't go through the whole thing but the game, IMO has changed from the standpoint that I think it is more talent driven than skill driven. You look at McDermott who is highly skilled. I think, 20-30 years ago, he would have thrived. Now teams want ceiling instead of skill. There aren't a lot of George Niangs out there who operate at a BCS level on pure skill. There's a reason his recruitment picked up a little later and that's his athleticism. Don't you guys think he would have been recruited heavier, earlier had we been in the 80s or even 90s? Maybe I'm way off base. Also, the football thing, maybe.