The legacy of Jack Trice

gnarlsbarkley

Oct 23, 2011
I've always thought it would be really neat to remind everyone of why our stadium is named as it is. A quick highlight of Jack's story before every home game could really develop into a unique tradition for us. Thoughts? Maybe this can pick up some momentum.....

ISU only I-A school to honor African-American in stadium name - ESPN

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BReCci-34J8]The Story Of Jack Trice (History Day 2009) - YouTube[/ame]

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Would love to see the Jack Trice story gain momentum, but please delete that video, it's not going to promote the cause using a video done by a high school girl. Can't comment on content, didn't get past the first minute because of the voiceover. Not trying to be mean, but the profile of the person who posted the Youtube video:

About Hugs! :)

Hey. I'm Hannah. I love to sing and I'm pretty much Broadway/opera obsessed, so that's why 98% of my videos are me singing some sort song from one of those two things. :) I'm best at singing classically but Broadway is so much fun! Please comment, rate, and subscribe! If you have any requests, message me or comment on my channel. Thanks. :)

and then there's this little tete-a-tete in the comments of the video:

A problem with this documentary is that your narration mainly, since the music is much more distracting then your main issue. You also said the word "black." Im suprised you placed really.
Hawaiink1d 2 years ago

I'll agree with you that the music in the beginning is somewhat distracting and the judges mentioned that. But I don't really understand what you mean about the black thing. I alternate between saying African-American and black for variety. I mean, I'm obviously not a racist person because since I spent a whole two months studying a topic based on racism which I think is HORRIBLE. In fact I have a lot of friends that are African-American... I don't want to offend anyone. Seriously...
heartlandcutie13 in reply to Hawaiink1d 2 years ago

LOL OMG Seriously, I have, like, so many black friends, you know, and, I mean, yah, like, racism sucks totally, you know. I should know because like I totally studied it after field hockey practice for at least, like 2 months, seriously.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
That espn article is from 2008 - I think it's time they write a new one to update the world of the awesomeness that is Jack Trice

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I've always thought it would be really neat to remind everyone of why our stadium is named as it is. A quick highlight of Jack's story before every home game could really develop into a unique tradition for us. Thoughts? Maybe this can pick up some momentum.....

The Story Of Jack Trice (History Day 2009) - YouTube

Findagrave.com website page for Jack Trice:
John G "Jack" Trice (1902 - 1923) - Find A Grave Memorial

It would be nice for a bunch of Cyclone fans to visit the above website and leave a note and some virtual flowers in memory of Jack Trice. Pictures of his gravestone are on the website.

Jack Trice Burial:
Fairview Cemetery
Hiram
Portage County
Ohio, USA
Plot: SECTION C-1 ROW 5

I know that I will try to visit his grave site this summer and I think there are some others on here that are going to also. The "awesomeness" of the Jack Trice story must keep growing.

mbbone

Jan 4, 2010
Would love to see the Jack Trice story gain momentum, but please delete that video, it's not going to promote the cause using a video done by a high school girl. Can't comment on content, didn't get past the first minute because of the voiceover.

I think you forgot your :jimlad: . This is the best video about Jack Trice that I've seen. The author pulled in sources I've never seen used before and gave a great summary of Trice's life and the effort to name the stadium after him. Obviously she didn't include everything, but I thought it was really well done and gave a different perspective on what has become a familiar story for Iowa Staters.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Thanks to Professor Emmerson, the Student Body and all supporters who persistently fought to have the stadium named changed to honor our legend,Jack Trice.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
Would love to see the Jack Trice story gain momentum, but please delete that video, it's not going to promote the cause using a video done by a high school girl. Can't comment on content, didn't get past the first minute because of the voiceover
wow .............. i thought it was very informative and reasonably well done. You should have watched and not jumped to conclusions, imho.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I think you forgot your :jimlad: . This is the best video about Jack Trice that I've seen. The author pulled in sources I've never seen used before and gave a great summary of Trice's life and the effort to name the stadium after him. Obviously she didn't include everything, but I thought it was really well done and gave a different perspective on what has become a familiar story for Iowa Staters.

wow .............. i thought it was very informative and reasonably well done. You should have watched and not jumped to conclusions, imho.

Step 1: go back and read my post.
Step 2: Read the first part of the second sentence, where I say "I can't comment on content"
Step 4: Profit

I'm not saying the content is bad, I just couldn't get past the voiceover. I'm sure, based on the comments here by others, that it's good info. I'm sure, if you look at the video from the perspective of a video submitted to some competition by a high schooler, she should be very proud of her work. I'm just saying that if your intention is to forward the story of Jack Trice to a national audience, perhaps some of the great digital media savvy folks on here could take the content and spiff it up and make it more professional by using a different voiceover.

Anyway...dammit, I don't want to derail this over the video so I'm done....I love the ESPN piece.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Why the Jack Trice story has not been the subject of a significant motion picture/documentary is baffling.

The Avengers is coming out soon, so at least we do get more comic book characters.

Thanks Hollywood:sad:

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
LOL OMG Seriously, I have, like, so many black friends, you know, and, I mean, yah, like, racism sucks totally, you know. I should know because like I totally studied it after field hockey practice for at least, like 2 months, seriously.

She's young, she's exploring the medium, she's learning, flexing her wings. For myself, I do not expert her to be a national level artist at her age. This is an early step along her life's journey. The video is akin to a student essay, is it not?

Let her breathe . . . let her be.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My future sister in law is studying film and is interning at a studio in hollywood this summer...I might have to pitch the idea to her for at least a class project.

Especially since I already pitched the sun park for a scary movie.

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

Interesting piece on the Jack Trice Memorial at the stadium and a very good interview of the sculptor Ed Dwight:
Jack Trice Memorial, Iowa State University, Hiram, IA | Ed Dwight Studios, Inc.

I noticed the "Hiram", IA location for Iowa State University so I emailed Ed and let him know about the error. Hiram, Ohio was where he was born and is buried.

ManofCyience

Nov 22, 2011
Ames

A very good idea. Iowa plays a tribute to Nile Kinnick before their games. I think it would be pretty neat.