The Johnson Bros

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
First off, I may just be out of the loop, but where has Cory Johnson been? I see him in his warmups on the sidelines but he isn't playing. I don't think I missed an injury announcement or a conflict at all and I haven't heard anything about it.

Second, Wes is the man. His dunk in the first half brought down the roof. He is already a great player and will only get better as the year goes on and as he gets older. The kid is unreal. He's amazing to watch and I think he's going to be a franchise player.

Today's game was dissappointing to watch until we staged our comeback. You can tell that the team is growing together each game but the offense looked very scrappy in the first half minus the first 2 minutes. It seems like we're settling for too many threes (27 attempted today, granted, 12 were makes). I know our inside presence is nothing to brag about but good passes into Wes on the inside yielded easy buckets.

Anyway, it was a fun game to watch today because of the comeback and it'll be a fun season.....

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
I've seen nothing but positive contributions for him, actually adding a decent inside game to a dismal front line. I'd like to hear what he's thinking because he's a great coach and I think he'd want Cory in as much as possible.

Kramer

Nov 14, 2006
Anytown, USA
I think that Cory struggles on the defensive end and as bad as the defense was today, it didn't make much sense to add him to the mix. If 4 guys are playing good d, Cory's inability to be a stopper might not be so bad. But when the entire team is poopy, it doesn't make much sense to put him in. Just my opinion.

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
I agree to an extent.....
In the early games he was matched up with other teams' centers. Jessan Gray doesn't really have a presence down low on defense and Jiri was out (and he doesn't really have a presence either). So he maybe was having a tough time holding his own against centers. With Jiri and Gray in, you'd think that Cory would be able to match up against a 3 or small 4 player....just a thought.

bferin

Jul 14, 2006
Okay so that explains today...If I remember right he only played like 5 minutes against UNI....maybe I'm just looking too deep into it but I think he'll be a big part of our team as a solid contributor so I want to see him play 25 minutes a game.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Okay so that explains today...If I remember right he only played like 5 minutes against UNI....maybe I'm just looking too deep into it but I think he'll be a big part of our team as a solid contributor so I want to see him play 25 minutes a game.

I think we lose a bit defensively in the post with him. None of our post have good size and Corey might be the bulkiest, but I think he struggles a bit with his footwork and quickness playing post defense. Plus, Stout and Coleman could have eaten him alive. As it stands, with Clark, Gray and Hubalek playing most of the game, Stout and Coleman had their worst game of the year (as a duo). I love Corey's hustle and his basketball smarts and he will be very important this year.

Kramer

Nov 14, 2006
Anytown, USA
His aggressive play and hard-nosed attitude could have really helped spark the team today. I hope he is ready to go vs the Squawks.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Cory played limited minutes at UNI and for the first time this year I thought he was a liability on the floor. Hopefully he can get back on track. We need him inside.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The thing that is most telling about cory to me is that he struggles with lateral movement in the post. I've noticed a few times where just gets absolutely owned buy guys with a halfway decent spin move. They can get up and under on him pretty easily.

He young, he was a SF in high school, give him time. He'll get on track. By any account he's one of the hardest workers on the team and that's a great thing for him and this squad.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I saw Corey and his parents at Old Chicago after the game yesterday and they didn't look like the hapiest folks in the joint. I'm sure GMac had a reason for not playing him against Drake but Corey is an energy guy when he is in there and I'm sure whatever it is he's probably going to work hard to get some minutes.