The Hoiberg factor: mitigating the transfers risk

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
I appreciate C.Williams comments about the need for a dose of luck in addition to talent to get to the final four. This is true. A great team is always going to lose some games. I also appreciate that every year informed ISU fans are holding their breath to see how each new team will gel, especially considering all the transfers; again there's the thought that we need to ride the luck wave. News flash (not): this is part of Hoiberg's genius, right? But now we can say with confidence because of the last 5 years that CFH is such a powerful leader that transfers and everyone else are going to buy in to the system, putting egos aside. They are going to develop that intangible chemistry and play as a team. Is there any doubt? I think not... Does that mean that we are guaranteed to go 14-0 preseason? Of course not. But when it comes to that all-important element of team chemistry, I'm not holding my breath. We will get there. We will most likely be at our best for the Big 12 Tourney and beyond.

Jsievers24

Jan 8, 2014
Johnston, IA
I think we have enough people buying into Fred's system now that if a transfer decides to do his own thing then Fred can afford to bench him, but the other way around, this is usually the last chance for the kid. For example : if BDJ goes into JR Smith mode and shoots it up every time he touches the ball then Naz or Matt Thomas can step right in and play more minutes and it shouldn't hurt us too bad, but BDJ can kiss any chance at the NBA draft good bye if he hardly plays this year.