The greatest Metal song of all time?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I pretty much only listen to progressive music now. I can appreciate the old stuff but I get bored now if there aren't poly rhythms or shifting meters. Btbam is such an ocean of a band though, if you haven't listened to their last three or four albums you should give them a shot.

Tesseract, Periphery, The Contortionist, Opeth, The Mars Volta, etc are what really do it for me. The fusion stuff is incredible too. Haken, Plini, Caligula's Horse, Disperse, Animals as Leaders, Polyphia some really great examples of amazing guitar players and insane rhythmic sections.
I can appreciate the prog stuff and love to watch Tosin play and melt my brain. But I think I have a simple enough brain that I need a little bit of catchiness, and the crazy prog stuff starts to drown a bit for me. But I will give some of these a listen.

I want to have more exotic tastes, but I guess my wheelhouse in metal was Rust in Peace. Enough technical stuff to keep it from being boring mixed with some really catchy riffs. Even though I play guitar and have tons of respect for the prog guys, there’s also some genius in creating a kickass ear worm riff.

• Friendly
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I can appreciate the prog stuff and love to watch Tosin play and melt my brain. But I think I have a simple enough brain that I need a little bit of catchiness, and the crazy prog stuff starts to drown a bit for me. But I will give some of these a listen.

I want to have more exotic tastes, but I guess my wheelhouse in metal was Rust in Peace. Enough technical stuff to keep it from being boring mixed with some really catchy riffs. Even though I play guitar and have tons of respect for the prog guys, there’s also some genius in creating a kickass ear worm riff.
No doubt. I actually play in a r&b/jazz/blues kind of band now. I played metal in the past but it's such a mountain of time to invest in technical ability to keep up with the top in the world. I completely agree about the simple riff thing. Joe Walsh is like the master of that in my opinion. Steve Miller too.

Those catchy riffs are still there in the prog stuff. Just takes many listens to start finding the patterns. Periphery has a 16 measure riff that only repeats once. I hated it at first. Now it's like crack for me.

For you I recommend Plini, Haken, and Polyphia first. Much happier feels. Incredible guitar players.

This is Plini. He is God right now. There's a doubled tap sequence in this song that is zen for me. About the 4 minutes mark or so I think.

Plus this Album is amazing!!!!

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I always tried to imagine kids that had only been listening to the Beatles turning on the opening riff to “Black Sabbath” for the first time. Probably thought they had entered hell.

No, that was the ones who had only been listening to the Beach Boys. (lest one fergit the opening to "Revolution") (hint: turn up the right track) (ah, the days with left and right tracks)

Oh, here 'tis. Good Olde You-Tube

Reactions: mkadl and matclone

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I pretty much only listen to progressive music now. I can appreciate the old stuff but I get bored now if there aren't poly rhythms or shifting meters. Btbam is such an ocean of a band though, if you haven't listened to their last three or four albums you should give them a shot.

Tesseract, Periphery, The Contortionist, Opeth, The Mars Volta, etc are what really do it for me. The fusion stuff is incredible too. Haken, Plini, Caligula's Horse, Disperse, Animals as Leaders, Polyphia some really great examples of amazing guitar players and insane rhythmic sections.
I was super impressed by how Tesseract sounded when they opened for BtBaM a few years back. Lead singer was a bit theatric on the stage for me, but I thought they sounded great.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Not sure if I could ever pick a fav or title something the best. I listen to way too much stuff to pull that off.
But as I get older I find myself always coming back to Pantera. Domination live with that epic break down would always be near the top of the list for me.

Upon a Burning Body also has lots of work that I think is great and would like to see up here but fully recognize they don't have that type of popularity. (and their lead singer is an annoying idiot - but love the voice)

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Would Rage Against the Machine be considered Metal to a lot of you? I am not sure to be honest. It's Rap rock for the most part Nu Metal, They do have some Metal songs though.

• Agree

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
No, that was the ones who had only been listening to the Beach Boys. (lest one fergit the opening to "Revolution") (hint: turn up the right track) (ah, the days with left and right tracks)

Oh, here 'tis. Good Olde You-Tube

Revolution might have been a step in the right direction, but hard to imagine this not blowing a kids mind in 1970:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron