"The Better Half"

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Nolookpass: Concerning your "better half" post that has been closed:

That is some pretty good made-up stuff. Portions of it are very inventive and fanciful. It is obvious to some of us that you are purposefully taking stereotyping to an extreme level in order to show how ridiculous stereotyping is. That's a very common writing technique and it's often times used to poke fun at attitudes held by some members of society.

However, your closer needs some work. "The better half" phrase is most often used to describe one of the persons in a committed relationship (usually referring to the wife!) and has nothing to do with stereotyping of certain groups of society.

Overall, I would give you a B in a Creative Writing class. I think by some polishing up of your writing skills and putting some more time and effort into your work you could bring your grade up.

For your next assignment, the subject will be "elitism".

Last edited:

nolookpass

Sep 15, 2009
A few thoughts...and I apologize in advance if this a bit rambling...I have a tee time with some old frat buddies in about an hour and am still trying to compose an email to the mods to see why my threads always get locked.

Stereotyping is not at all ridiculous. In fact, we as a society do not stereotype enough in my mind. The problem is people don't stereotype themselves, only others. If more people would take a look at themselves and act according to what they see the world would be a better place. If your tattoos outnumber your teeth stick to shopping at Wal-Mart and not Jordan Creek. If even an inch of your boxers are showing when you walk down the street, date some meth head from your alternative school and don't think you have a shot with an SEP cheerleader.

I understand how "better half" is most commonly used, but in the way I used it I think it is quite clear what I was trying to convey . I could have used the ol' "haves and have nots" (I, obviously, am in the "have" category) but that seemed to played out. The fact is the grass is greener on my lawn...hell, the fact I have my own lawn separates me from 75% of the mouth breathers who trek thru life in this country on auto-pilot and looking only to infringe on my (and the other haves') happiness.

As far as your request on the subject of elitism...you are from Altoona, not an area I would expect someone to come from who understands the finer things in life. You need to stick to horse racing and lottery tickets in the hopes you hit the big one and can move up in life. Your wit and intelligence aint gonna do it fer ya.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I find him entertaining, but I worry the path he travels will lead to a MontyBurns like fate.

ISUCLONES15

Mar 24, 2006
Altoona
As far as your request on the subject of elitism...you are from Altoona, not an area I would expect someone to come from who understands the finer things in life. You need to stick to horse racing and lottery tickets in the hopes you hit the big one and can move up in life. Your wit and intelligence aint gonna do it fer ya.

This makes me laugh, talking down Altoona when you previously claimed to live in Pleasant Hill.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Maybe we can get a nolookpass forum on CF. Sort of like off-topic but more random and offensive. (I enjoy nlp's post BTW)

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
NLP isn't afraid to tell us what he's thinking whether we agree with it or not.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
A few thoughts...and I apologize in advance if this a bit rambling...I have a tee time with some old frat buddies in about an hour and am still trying to compose an email to the mods to see why my threads always get locked.

Stereotyping is not at all ridiculous. In fact, we as a society do not stereotype enough in my mind. The problem is people don't stereotype themselves, only others. If more people would take a look at themselves and act according to what they see the world would be a better place. If your tattoos outnumber your teeth stick to shopping at Wal-Mart and not Jordan Creek. If even an inch of your boxers are showing when you walk down the street, date some meth head from your alternative school and don't think you have a shot with an SEP cheerleader.

I understand how "better half" is most commonly used, but in the way I used it I think it is quite clear what I was trying to convey . I could have used the ol' "haves and have nots" (I, obviously, am in the "have" category) but that seemed to played out. The fact is the grass is greener on my lawn...hell, the fact I have my own lawn separates me from 75% of the mouth breathers who trek thru life in this country on auto-pilot and looking only to infringe on my (and the other haves') happiness.

Its never good to judge someone by their possessions. I would stick to judging them by how physically attractive they are, or how much beer they can drink.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: And you can tell all of that about me because my sig says Altoona?:biglaugh: