The best ISU sports have EVER been...?

jcats322

Oct 6, 2007
West Des Moines
In addition to what everyone else has said, in 2000 we also won the Big 12 regular season and conference tournament titles in both mens and womens basketball.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Let's say this the most well rounded ISU sports have been...? Is that fair to say?

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I can't think of a time when ISU sports have ever been better...

Volleyball ranked in the top 10-Has shot at winning National Champ
Girls Basketball ranked 24
Men’s Basketball ranked 29
Wrestling ranked 2- Has shot at winning the National Champ.
Football is working on a bowl game

I will even take it step further and say ISU sports are the best in the Midwest. I know football drives colleges, but overall ISU is very competitive in all sports and think of another school that is having as much success as ISU.

Where are the people that said, we need to go to MVC to compete in sports? Look’s like we are doing a fine job in the big 12. Look who has got the last :biglaugh::biglaugh:.

JP good work!

I think you need to wait until the conclusion of the seasons to make any valid comparisons. Let's see what happens with the basketball teams and football team first. This year has some potential but it isn't over yet.

CYISFLY

Jun 30, 2009
SW Ia
Maybe Barnes commiting. Has been a fun year so far. Football has gotta get 6 wins. Would sweeten the foul taste of the last couple seasons. Enjoy th eride

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Yeah - 2000 was by far a better run for ISU.

But it is hard to argue that this is a huge year of moments for some sports. FB wins in Lincoln for the first time in almost forever. Volleyball keeps shattering milestones. Some of the other non-marquee sports are having good performances as well.

We'll what the bball teams can get done. And perhaps we break that national championship drought in wrestling?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
This year is great, but let's see if we make a bowl game, make the NCAA's in men's and women's basketball, and how we do in wrestling first :). I hope all of this happens and wrestling wins the national title, all possible. All of this excitement (or most of it), is based on projection, not facts yet.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
You know, slightly off topic here but, I went to the final regular season game of the 2000 season. The clones were 7-3 and playing very well. The attendance was about 35,000.

The team has to be very exceptional for fans to pack the house when the temperature is 30 degrees. As for this weekend, no excuse, but next weekend might be sparse

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
2000, 2005

disagree, we weren't any better in Basketball. We were only slightly better in football and we didn't have the success in all the lesser sports. The only lesser sport we had success in was WBB (NIT) and Gymnastics (Big12 title).

Right now.

-VB team in top 10 and one win behind the Big12 leader
-Football team one win from bowl eligibility and one game out of first place in the North
-MBB is receiving votes and if they can find a way to win allot of games, they have the schedule to really boost their RPI.
-WBB ranked in the preseason for the first time in years, no doubt in my mind they will go to the tourney again.
-Men's and Women's cross country teams are both ranked
-Wrestling team is ranked #2 and appear to be as strong as ever
-Gymnastics team is ranked and the healthiest they have been since 2006

We have 7 sports receiving votes (if we win this weekend it could be 8), 6 of them are ranked, 2 of them are ranked in the top 10.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I seen many years of ISU sports and this is right up there....
1) The VB team is having a great season
2) The FB team is much improved but not as good as some others we have had
3) MBB has done nothing , YET. ( I think it will be a great season)
4) WBB has done nothing, YET. (I think it will be a great season)
5) Wrestling has done nothing, YET. ( I think it will be a great season)

So far this year has been great. I love it and it can get even better BUT nothing has beeen accomplished, YET. You said "I can't think of a time when ISU sports have ever been better..." If you don't remember 2000, 2005 then you have a short memory and in those years we are talking accomplishments not potential. Hopefully come March we can say "ISU sports have never been better." That is all I was trying to say.
It is an exciting time though

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron