The 2021 NCAA WBB Tournament Discussion Thread (Go Cyclones!)

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net

This video has everything:
  • The last time ISU played Michigan State, their upcoming first-round opponent
  • A three by Heather Ezell, the associate head coach of a Wyoming team that just made their first tournament since 2008
  • A three by Alison Lacey, the wife of a rumored leading candidate to replace Coach Prohm

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
I smiled reading this, but no. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her brought in to work with the guards. She’s been out of coaching for quite a while.
I'm not sure what NCAA rules are with regards to bringing outside people in to do coaching. It probably depends on exactly what coaching is being done.

However, if ISU were to hire Otz (which is a discussion for a different thread) it wouldn't surprise me to see her do some coaching at ISU's summer camps. I believe Coach Steyer did some of that after her family moved to central Iowa but before she was coaching here.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Game times are here: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/basketball-women/d1/2021

Schedules:

Baylor 2 -- Sunday 3pm
West Virginia 4 -- Sunday 7pm
Iowa 5 -- Sunday 11am
Texas 6 -- Monday 7pm
Iowa State 7 -- Monday 5pm
Oklahoma State 8 -- Sunday 12pm
South Dakota State 9 -- Sunday 4:30pm
Wyoming 14 -- Monday 9pm

Texas A&M vs Troy is simultaneous to our game -- Monday 5pm. That's impossible in a normal year.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Here are some of the "if's" concerning our game.
1. IF our team is hitting from outside
2. IF our inside/outside game is working
3. IF our defense limits scoring by their two guards
4. IF we limit turnovers and fouls
We win. Probably common sense, but...

To me the overall biggest factor that contributes to all of the above is playing team ball. If we resort to the Ashley Joens show (nothing against Ashley...you know what I mean) then we are in trouble.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here are some of the "if's" concerning our game.
1. IF our team is hitting from outside
2. IF our inside/outside game is working
3. IF our defense limits scoring by their two guards
4. IF we limit turnovers and fouls
We win. Probably common sense, but...

To me the overall biggest factor that contributes to all of the above is playing team ball. If we resort to the Ashley Joens show (nothing against Ashley...you know what I mean) then we are in trouble.

Ashley might have a field day since I don't think Sparty is that tough on interior defense. Iowa's Cizano had like 27 points in the paint in just 26 minutes vs MSU IIRC from looking at the box score last night. My only worry on that is if she gets off to a crazy good start and we later get caught "watching" or forcing the action even after they adjust and it's time for someone else to take the shot or take it off the dribble.

Will be interesting to see what lineups we use if Scott can't go, probably lots of Wise again with some Kane (who has been playing some quality minutes). Wise had some really good quarters playing in the paint and Sparty doesn't have a big scoring threat post. Guessing even if Scott is a go it might be reduced minutes. Just spit balling here, none of us will know till gametime.

I am assuming no news on Espenmiller-McGraw is probably bad news? It's not like they ever share much info, we are probably only hearing some about Scott because it's pretty obvious something was up when she was wearing a boot and also her missing the OT period vs Texas.

This game every seven to 10 days is s

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Gee! If we get Allison back in Ames, could that be the coach after Bill retires?

If her husband was the ISU head coach and with three kids I really doubt Allison would have the time or desire to do this. Also she has not shown any inclination to get into the coaching profession. No Offense - but it always surprises me to see former players (men and women) that have not went into the coaching profession as great alternatives to head coaching positions.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Also she has not shown any inclination to get into the coaching profession.
She did coach at Marshalltown CC for a year and a half (started mid-year after the prior coach was fired mid-season, plus the next full season). But that was before she had a husband and kids -- she left that job when TJ left ISU to go to Washington and the two of them got married.

Last edited:
Reactions: acoustimac

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames

This video has everything:
  • The last time ISU played Michigan State, their upcoming first-round opponent
  • A three by Heather Ezell, the associate head coach of a Wyoming team that just made their first tournament since 2008
  • A three by Alison Lacey, the wife of a rumored leading candidate to replace Coach Prohm

Heather never forgets!

Reactions: NWICY

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
If you haven’t seen her play...take notice and do it sometime during the tourney. Thwill be the national freshman of the year.

Almost all of UConns games have been posted on "The Boneyard". I have watched at least 60% of their games this year. They are loaded with talent but a lot of it is young. It could bite them in the tournament. But Beuckers and Edwards are just awesome as freshmen. I think Edwards is going to be much more productive in the paint than Ododa.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Game times are here: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/basketball-women/d1/2021

Schedules:

Baylor 2 -- Sunday 3pm
West Virginia 4 -- Sunday 7pm
Iowa 5 -- Sunday 11am
Texas 6 -- Monday 7pm
Iowa State 7 -- Monday 5pm
Oklahoma State 8 -- Sunday 12pm
South Dakota State 9 -- Sunday 4:30pm
Wyoming 14 -- Monday 9pm

Texas A&M vs Troy is simultaneous to our game -- Monday 5pm. That's impossible in a normal year.

Tickets for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 just went on sale, but there is no way to know what sessions to buy! In a traditional bracket, you know where you will be and when you will play in future rounds. Argh. Hopefully, there will still be tickets for sale. Otherwise, we may just have to deal with scalpers or third party sites.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Our team is on the way to San Antonio. Sending good vibes and wishing the sisters the best of luck!

Remember, our men's team played in the 2014 NCAA tournament in San Antonio and advanced to the Sweet Sixteen.

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Teams of interest:
Baylor 2
West Virginia 4
Iowa 5
Texas 6
Iowa State 7
Oklahoma State 8
Wyoming 14 (Heather Ezell's team)
Oklahoma #4 on list of first four out - apparently a standby team for the tourney per one tweet I saw
Drake WNIT
UNI WNIT

No Big 12 teams in WNIT, which makes sense if OU is a standby team.
Speaking of Ezell I wonder if she has the confidence to go for a Head Coaching Spot? She has been a winner/leader everywhere she has landed from H.S., Iowa State, Pros and now at Wyoming. Being from Missouri she would have a grasp of the Midwest, though, I don't know what kind of recruiting area Wyoming pulls players from.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron