The 2021 NCAA WBB Tournament Discussion Thread (Go Cyclones!)

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Baylor is in the same region as UConn. I guess the selection committee wants that canceled regular season game back.

TOE is a 5 seed and could face UConn if they make it to Sweet Sixteen. It'd be a blast to watch the Clark vs Bueckers matchup.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: GT25Ump

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Bummed that it is family-only for the first two rounds. Want to make some travel plans for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 weekend. Do we have any idea about which days they will be playing if they make it that far?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
About as good as you could expect getting the 7 seed. Avoiding the 8/9 and then a 1 seed is always preferable although this year the 1 seeds and 2 seeds are virtually interchangeable. A&M could have easily gotten flipped with South Carolina. Just want the ladies to win the first one and get a chance at it. Sucks going one and done, so let's at least grab the first win.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Bummed that it is family-only for the first two rounds. Want to make some travel plans for the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 weekend. Do we have any idea about which days they will be playing if they make it that far?
Sweet Sixteen Round: March 27-28
Elite Eight Round: March 29-30

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not sure what I think of Michigan State. Their season was sorta disrupted by Covid postponements, as was about half the Big 10, and they didn't play a full conference slate and finished 9th at 8-7. They were 8th at 9-9 last year. Meh, sort of a middling team on both offense and defense within the Big 10. I don't remember watching them this season other than the last game against Iowa and loss to Michigan. I do remember while watching the Michigan rivalry game that Blue should have been beating them by a bigger margin. Michigan was just off an extended Covid hiatus. They don't have a dominate post nor do they play top defense.

Big 10 honors include these two for Sparty:
Nia Clouden 5'-8" junior guard was 1st team Big 10. 18.8 ppg which leads the Spartans
Julia Ayrault, 6'-2" sophomore guard was honorable mention Big 10. 9 ppg 4 rb

Last edited:

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
OK here we go. MSU. Who are they? Well they were disrupted by Covid and that had a big impact on their season. Prior to covid they beat Iowa and lost a close contest to Maryland. Since then they have been up and down. Got pounded by Maryland and Indiana. Lost a nail biter to Michigan and another close loss to Indiana to end the season. Big Ten Tourney they got their butt handed to them by Iowa. What does this tell me? They are dangerous as heck.

Who are they?
Average 75 ppg compared to ISU's 76
They like the three point shot (hit 33% out of 453 attempts) (ISU shot 36% on 730 attempts)
Not a good free throw shooting team (67%) compared to ISU (but who is?)
Shoot 12 FT per game vs ISU at 14
They typically outbound their opponents by a margin of 3 (ave 37 to our 38)
Both teams average right at 14 turnovers per game
Average nearly 9 steals per game (this is one to pay attention to) and 19 points off turnovers
They have a ten player rotation for minutes.
Nia Clouden (5'8" guard) is their leading scorer at 18 ppg. Followed by Winston at 11ppg (another small guard)
After that the points are all spread out by their 10 person rotation.
Have a couple of bigs that average about 7ppg

That's a quick look...

As always good takes acoustimac.

It appears both teams have their versions of Team A and Team B.

My sixth sense tells me which team's A version shows up will win the game.

Reactions: acoustimac

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
MSU pretty sure that's the team we slapped the press on to come back and beat them at the end. I was watching it in a bar and thought I was the only one was watching since it was WBB that I had asked the bartender to turn on. I was pretty surprised when more people than me cheered when the ladies came back to get the W.

Reactions: geewago

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Teams of interest:
Baylor 2
West Virginia 4
Iowa 5
Texas 6
Iowa State 7
Oklahoma State 8
Wyoming 14 (Heather Ezell's team)
Oklahoma #4 on list of first four out - apparently a standby team for the tourney per one tweet I saw
Drake WNIT
UNI WNIT

No Big 12 teams in WNIT, which makes sense if OU is a standby team.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
WNIT just announced the 32 teams that will be participating in the upcoming WNIT tournament.

There's no Big12 team in the field. I wonder if OU is waiting as an NCAA tourney stand-by team (the last team of the first four out) to see they could take place of one of the qualifying teams that have to withdraw.

Drake and UNI will be playing.

Here's the complete list.

AQ’s (9)

Bowling Green (20-6), Mid-American
California Baptist (24-0), Western Athletic
Dayton (14-3), Atlantic 10
Delaware (21-4), Colonial
Louisiana (16-6), Sun Belt
New Mexico (15-4), Mountain West
Rice (18-4), Conference USA
Samford (14-9), Southern
UT Martin (20-5), Ohio Valley

At-Large (23)
Arizona State (11-10), Pac-12
Charlotte (10-10), Conference USA
Clemson (11-13), Atlantic Coast
Colorado (10-10), Pac-12
Creighton (9-11), Big East
DePaul (14-8), Big East
Drake (16-11), Missouri Valley
Florida (11-13), SEC
Fordham (12-4), Atlantic 10
Fresno State (16-10), Mountain West
Houston (16-7), American
Illinois State (15-7), Missouri Valley
Milwaukee (19-7), Horizon
Missouri (9-11), SEC
Nebraska (12-12), Big Ten
Northern Iowa (14-12), Missouri Valley
Ohio (14-8), Mid-American
Ole Miss (11-11), SEC
Saint Louis (12-4), Atlantic 10
San Francisco (15-10), West Coast
Tulane (17-8), American
UMass (14-7), Atlantic 10
Villanova (15-6), Big East

Here's the WNIT Bracket

Both Drake and UNI are in the Rockford (IL) Region. Drake will play Milwaukee (the only team that ISU trails behind in free-throw percentage among NCAA D1 schools) and UNI will face Dayton in the first round.

5bw8pB.jpg

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Teams of interest:
Baylor 2
West Virginia 4
Iowa 5
Texas 6
Iowa State 7
Oklahoma State 8
Wyoming 14 (Heather Ezell's team)
Oklahoma #4 on list of first four out - apparently a standby team for the tourney per one tweet I saw
Drake WNIT
UNI WNIT

No Big 12 teams in WNIT, which makes sense if OU is a standby team.

South Dakota State Jackrabbits in as 9 seed. So only our loss to the Sooners was to a non-tournament team which is also our only Quadrant 2 loss. Not sure Sooners should be on that alternate bubble, just my take, unless you cut them Covid impacts slack.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
MSU pretty sure that's the team we slapped the press on to come back and beat them at the end. I was watching it in a bar and thought I was the only one was watching since it was WBB that I had asked the bartender to turn on. I was pretty surprised when more people than me cheered when the ladies came back to get the W.
No wonder you and I get along. Sounds just like me. I'm always getting a TV switched to WBB game while everybody else is watching some Pro display. I've lost what casual interest I had in Pro basketball after all this political stuff they want to preach to me.

In 2005 when Baylor was in the NC champioship game and was playing Michigan ST (ISU's next opponent) I was in a bbq/sports bar and I got my buddy to switch the big screen to that game. Wasn't long people starting asking for the TV in their area to be put on the same channel. Before long every TV in the place was tuned in and the volume was cranked up. There were people in there who'd never watched WBB before who got all into it and were yelling like Apache savages. After that game I vowed if ever again there was a team that I liked and it was playing in a big tournament I'd always make it a point to be there. I'm pretty sure I've kept my vow.

Baylor put a whipping on MSU that day. So C'mon Twister Sisters you need to do the same. Give em a taste of that Big12 power.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Sweet Sixteen Round: March 27-28
Elite Eight Round: March 29-30

I was wondering whether we had any idea of which of those days? I'd prefer not to travel on the 26th and 31st and need to pay another hotel night.