That 4th down call should be the nail for Manning

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Campbell's offenses have NEVER gotten it done trailing late in the 4th quarter in Big 12 games. We've been in that situation so many times too. Poor decisions by the coaches and poor decisions by the QB in key situations. They are always looking to spike the ball. Makes no sense whatsoever. The clock stops after a 1st down.

Did in 2018 vs. KSU and 2020 at Texas but those are exceptions.

Aduhbolu15

Feb 28, 2021
Are you serious??
BECAUSE the online sucks is why you don't call that play. But Manning has called it ALL.YEAR.LONG.
And if you want to say Campbell okays it...fine.
The last drive where we were passing, had 2 false starts and 2 sacks allowed. We can’t run block or pass block. We don’t have the talent on the offensive line and never have probably never will. Having nfl players like purdy, hall, Montgomery, Lazard kolar makes the oline not look as bad.

LtRaczack

Dec 23, 2010
Columbus, GA
I don’t understand why we spiked the ball on that last series. If you are in position to snap the ball you run a play. The defense is on its heels and that’s your best chance to make a play. But that requires an offense that is decisive and has drilled that situation.

Also, the 2 false starts on that last drive speak to the sloppiness of this offense under Campbell and Manning. It is not a well coached unit and does not have a winning culture, further evidenced by Noel’s drop. Campbell has developed a strong team culture overall but they don’t look like they expect to succeed on offense.
I am not going to hammer the players but that's the second potentially game winning TD pass that's been dropped this season. Catch both of those and suddenly it is 6-4 and bowl eligible even with the dud KU and KSU games.

We are not seeing the winning culture that pervaded the entire team of 2017. We are seeing a 2015 season culture where defeat is consistently snatched from the jaws of victory and this is the only consistent event that occurs. I forgot running the ball up the middle from shotgun which is also consistent.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Don’t question. Above all else, don’t question. It can fail 100 times but, damnit, trust the process and it will work on try #101!
I think they did line up under center once on 4th and 1 and got the first down. I would have no problem putting in the 300 pound DL that used to be a qb to run the sneak. Somehow, someway they need to figure something out.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Running a QB keeper up the gut out of the shotgun on 4th down is just stupid. What is even worse is we've seen that called multiple times this season and OSU was not fooled and knew it was coming. I know one line is bad but your odds of getting a yard is better with the QB under center than starting several yards behind it. If you are going to run out of the shotgun at least mix it up and run a RPO play to the side and hope the defense misses an assignment.

The play calling has become so predictable and we don't mix up our looks or take more deep shots to keep the defense guessing. At times we do a good job of moving the ball down the field only to shoot ourselves in the foot with some bone head penalty or turnover too. This may be the best defense in school history and it's going to waste with an offense that has not improved at all throughout the season.

KCyclone2010

May 19, 2017
Go under center, qb sneak. It truly is that simple. It if you want to get fancy, play action and sneak a wr or te downfield. It was so obvious we were going to run it up the gut. I simply do not get how a D1 coordinator can be so bad at calling plays. Average fans like us shouldn’t be predicting the play called before it happens

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Our offense has passed Iowa for ineptitude. Let that sink in.
No they haven't. As much as it appears that way, Iowa is still winning games the only way they know how: opportunistic defense, elite special teams, and playing in Big 10 West, which is so down this year, that they could still win it despite only being 6-4

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
No they haven't. As much as it appears that way, Iowa is still winning games the only way they know how: opportunistic defense, elite special teams, and playing in Big 10 West, which is so down this year, that they could still win it despite only being 6-4
I've watched all their games. Surprisingly they have mixed things up a bit the past few weeks. Playing more to their strengths (i.e. LaPorta) and that freeing up their running game for Kaleb. They're still not going to outscore anybody, but they're finding ways to lean on their D and do enough with the O.

And now I'm going to go throw up.

• Haha
Reactions: SpringCreekCY

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The game was pretty well lost when Shaw fumbled in the red zone as we were going in to take a two-score lead. Shaw still has not learned his lesson-he was carrying it loose again on a later completion but managed to hold onto it. That’s just really poor fundamentals from someone who has played a lot of football.
I knew that ball was coming out as soon as he started dancing. I also called the Silas fumble when I saw him make the cut right as the OSU defender was crashing down to the exact same spot.2 guys running full speed at each other

Reactions: agentbear