Thank you Bill Snyder and K-State

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
There two ways to hang with Baylor, either score as often as they do, or control the clock with sustained drives and keep the ball out of their hands. Basically, we have to bake a cake, but we have no flour. No way ISU keeps this close. 3 and outs against Baylor will have our D dead by the end of the first quarter. I'll be surprised if Baylor doesn't have at least 21 points by the end of the first quarter. Our D is just going to be on the field far too much, just like always and against Baylor, that's a death sentence.
I'm thinking that Baylor will score quickly enough that our D won't get gassed right away.

proisu

Jan 11, 2008
nowhere
You know, it seemed that we were fairly efficient with power running the ball out of the diamond formation with three rb's in the backfield. If you were to do that with Bundrage out to the far side, big TE on the other, I think they could eat clock, pick up first downs and keep it a low scoring game.

watched game with a good friend of Mess, and he was screaming at the screen about not running the diamond formation more !!! that worked almost every time!!!

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
watched game with a good friend of Mess, and he was screaming at the screen about not running the diamond formation more !!! that worked almost every time!!!

Did he want Mess fired like most of the fanbase? (me included)

RebelT

Oct 9, 2008
Man. Tough crowd. If you watched any portion of the BU-KSU game, you'd know that what Sammy is saying is spot on. We literally had our way with them throughout the game when we didn't drop wide open and uncontested passes. Literally, 4 drops that were wide open with no defender anywhere near them. The block in the back by the OG was baffling as well --- it was a 12 yard gain and he somehow is all the way down there? Weird play.

The only thing that KSU did much better than anybody to date (and much better than I expected, honestly) is slow down our running game. We really struggled to establish a running game, even from the opening drive where it took 4 plays from the 1 to get in the end zone. Through the air, we absolutely torched them. We dropped 5 passes and our quarterback still averaged over 15 yards per attempt for the game.

I'm ready for the game to be here already.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Man. Tough crowd. If you watched any portion of the BU-KSU game, you'd know that what Sammy is saying is spot on. We literally had our way with them throughout the game when we didn't drop wide open and uncontested passes. Literally, 4 drops that were wide open with no defender anywhere near them. The block in the back by the OG was baffling as well --- it was a 12 yard gain and he somehow is all the way down there? Weird play.

The only thing that KSU did much better than anybody to date (and much better than I expected, honestly) is slow down our running game. We really struggled to establish a running game, even from the opening drive where it took 4 plays from the 1 to get in the end zone. Through the air, we absolutely torched them. We dropped 5 passes and our quarterback still averaged over 15 yards per attempt for the game.

I wouldn't go that far. Baylor did drop a couple of passes but that game was up for grabs until Sams threw that pic. Baylor only had 15 first downs for the game and K-State had 23. I would like ISU's chances a lot more if it was in Ames. Baylor is just not a good road conference team, since 2007 they have averaged only 1 conference road win per year.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

This is the worst excuse. Everybody has drops and everybody can point to things that would have changed the outcome of the game. That goes right up their with the Baylor fan talking point (that I've seen on every sports message board I read) that Baylor played poorly because of the intimidating Kansas State crowd. The crowd of 52k, one of the smallest crowds in the Big XII.

Sammy11

Jun 11, 2010
DFW
I wouldn't go that far. Baylor did drop a couple of passes but that game was up for grabs until Sams threw that pic. Baylor only had 15 first downs for the game and K-State had 23. I would like ISU's chances a lot more if it was in Ames. Baylor is just not a good road conference team, since 2007 they have averaged only 1 conference road win per year.

1- The GAME was up for grabs due to defensive issues.

2- The offense had self-inflicted wounds play a major part in KSU getting us off the field on 40% of our drives. That isn't remotely close to our standard. I could understand a drive or two, not 4 or 5 with the way this offense has executed over the last 10 games.
(3 conversion drops, 2 conversions called back by penalty, wild snap that cost us 10 yards and loss of down, fumble where QB takes 7 seconds with the ball)

3- The road record has a lot to do with who we played and where and frankly most of the time we just ran into better teams.

2008- A bad team goes to play AT top 5 UT, AT top 10 Tech, at top 10 OSU, at top 25 NU
2009- No RG3 or any other decent qb, no top RB, and we win AT Mizzou. We lose to ISU and OU on the road as well as A&M. That year those teams were better than our rebuilding and injury depleted unit.
2010- Win AT Colorado, AT Texas. Lost AT top 3 TCU and AT top 25 OkSt. Beat the bad teams, lost to the best ones. Pretty typical for a team that finished 1 over .500.
2011- Lose one we should have won at KSU. Also lost at top 3 OkSt and lost at A&M when their team was loaded and our DL frankly didn't match up at all. Win at KU after playing very badly for 3 quarters.
2012- WVU 70-63... that's a game that's pretty similar if it's in Waco that year. Lose 56-50 at UT and it's a tossup game. We lost at ISU which really is the only "bad" road game in 2012. Lose AT OU by one score.

So out of all these losses:
12 of the 16 were to teams that people would consider to be the better team anyway, 2 were tossups, and 2 were disappointments. Sounds more like a program that was rebuilding than anything else.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL

There are always dropped balls in football. No one catches everything, sometimes a QB overthrows a receiver. Hell, ISU can easily say, "Boy, if we'd have caught every ball possible last week, we'd easily have won as well." Guess who else can say that, Tech, KSU, you name it. Granted it happens more for some than it does for others, but drops always happen, it's part of the game. No different than saying, "If we'd have blocked better we'd have won."

I'm not slapping this on you RebelT, so don't take it this way, this is to others in this thread. But, do we have fans like this? I consider myself a pretty humble guy, along with everyone I know who is an ISU fan. Are there those among us, who after a few wins, go start yapping our traps to other teams about how unbeatable we are? OK, I could see it happening on Iowa's board, but I can't imagine anyone, with ISU history, running out there telling the world how much better we are than them. Seems like Baylor should kind of feel the same way. With their history over-all, it's not like they've got a lot to brag about. Hell, the game 2 years ago when RGIII was at QB, was a lot closer than the score would really indicate and that was probably Baylor's best chance at dominance.

I guess I just don't get the arrogance to go on another's team boards and tell them how there is no way you'll lose the game. It's football, there's a reason they play the games. I'm definitely of the crew here that thinks ISU has very little shot to keep this close, let alone win, but I'm still going to watch, because you never know.

Reactions: JusHappy2BeHere

Sammy11

Jun 11, 2010
DFW
This is the worst excuse. Everybody has drops and everybody can point to things that would have changed the outcome of the game. That goes right up their with the Baylor fan talking point (that I've seen on every sports message board I read) that Baylor played poorly because of the intimidating Kansas State crowd. The crowd of 52k, one of the smallest crowds in the Big XII.

1- Everyone has drops, but how often are they frequent drive killers? Drops are not typical for this team over the last 10 games and therefore bears mentioning. We played sloppy and production went down.

2- KSU's environment is much louder than their attendance would imply. The shape of the stadium and it's retention of sound is impressive. With that said we have to handle it better and blaming it for everything isn't appropriate either.

Sammy11

Jun 11, 2010
DFW
There are always dropped balls in football. No one catches everything, sometimes a QB overthrows a receiver. Hell, ISU can easily say, "Boy, if we'd have caught every ball possible last week, we'd easily have won as well." Guess who else can say that, Tech, KSU, you name it. Granted it happens more for some than it does for others, but drops always happen, it's part of the game. No different than saying, "If we'd have blocked better we'd have won."

I'm not slapping this on you RebelT, so don't take it this way, this is to others in this thread. But, do we have fans like this? I consider myself a pretty humble guy, along with everyone I know who is an ISU fan. Are there those among us, who after a few wins, go start yapping our traps to other teams about how unbeatable we are? OK, I could see it happening on Iowa's board, but I can't imagine anyone, with ISU history, running out there telling the world how much better we are than them. Seems like Baylor should kind of feel the same way. With their history over-all, it's not like they've got a lot to brag about. Hell, the game 2 years ago when RGIII was at QB, was a lot closer than the score would really indicate and that was probably Baylor's best chance at dominance.

I guess I just don't get the arrogance to go on another's team boards and tell them how there is no way you'll lose the game. It's football, there's a reason they play the games. I'm definitely of the crew here that thinks ISU has very little shot to keep this close, let alone win, but I'm still going to watch, because you never know.

Our defense is pretty untested so far, ISU certainly has a decent chance to win if they can exploit that. Our offense though will likely be much sharper which greatly reduces the Cyclone margin for error.

RebelT

Oct 9, 2008

This is easily the most clueless post I've seen. You obviously haven't been to Manhattan if you actually believe that. That is, without question, the most intimidating environment in the Big 12, and it's not even close. I've been everywhere but Iowa State and Kansas, and with all due respect, I'm not concerned about my statement being inaccurate even once I do visit there.

Again, it's obvious that very few people actually saw the game and saw the level of mistakes we had, which are very uncharacteristic. If you want to believe we'll make those same mistakes at home this weekend, go ahead, but you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

RebelT

Oct 9, 2008

I've been watching football for a long time, and I've watched a lot of it. This is one of the three best offensive teams I've ever seen in college football, and when the book is written, it may be the best I've ever seen. If you watched us for the last 5 games last year and the first 5 games this year, you'd know that we DON'T drop balls. I would almost guarantee that we've averaged less than 2 true drops per game for the last 10 games we've played. I'm not talking about well-defensed plays, I'm talking about wide open drops like we had Saturday against KSU. There is a reason we've put so many receivers in the NFL, and all of them are kicking *** (see: all three led their respective teams in receiving this past weekend).

Further, I've never understood the nonsensical talk about history. Obviously teams never improve and change their histories, so it only makes sense that we should always expect to be terrible like we were in the late-90's and early 2000's.

I think you'll see by the end of the year that this team is significantly better than RG3's team in 2011. We might not have as much talent under center (although that book hasn't been written yet, either), but at the other 21 positions on the field, we absolutely are more talented across the board --- three future draft picks on the OL, a Heisman candidate at RB, two Biletnikoff candidates at wideout, and a significantly improved defense. I'm not saying we're there yet, but this team is much, much better than 2011.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

But the issue is this is such a rhetorical argument. Every team in every game can point to anomolies that either kept the game close or cause a loss. Look, I can do it too:

- If Charles Rodgers intercepts that pass on the first touchdown drive, a ball that was right to him and he should have had, they don't score that first touchdown.

- 9 out of 10 times Deon Broomfield would have caught that onside kick. We would have had the ball with a chance to tie.

-Wimberly was running well, if he hadn't of got hurt we would have been much more efficient in the second half.

On the other side, TTU can point to dumb turnovers and special teams mistakes as to why the game was even close. All I'm saying is it is ridiculous to come on here and say "well, it was only close because we dropped some balls." Both teams make mistakes, and eliminating the mistakes would have put either team in a better position.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron