Texas Underachieves again

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Texas Bball Recruiting under Shaka - 247 Team Rankings

2016 6th
2017 6th
2018 8th
2019 17th
2020 101st (only 1 player signed (a 5* though))

1 big 12 tourney championship (2021)
0 NCAA tourney wins (0-3)

Simply posting this because its fun to watch Texas flounder in any sport for any reason. **** Texas. Takes 1% of the pain away from being the worst team in the BIG 12.

In the categories that matter even Prohm outperformed Texas. Two big 12 tourney championships and 3-3 in the NCAA with a Sweet 16. The last two years have been awful. But his tenure definitely had some bright spots. Brighter than anything Texas has had in the past 5 years anyways.

Reactions: WalkingCY and NWICY

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Shaka is not a good coach. Love seeing Texas still continue to underperform in football and MBB.... it's awesome!

Texas makes WAY more $$$ than any other school, and lately have basically nothing to show for it.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Texas Bball Recruiting under Shaka - 247 Team Rankings

2016 6th
2017 6th
2018 8th
2019 17th
2020 101st (only 1 player signed (a 5* though))

1 big 12 tourney championship (2021)
0 NCAA tourney wins (0-3)

Simply posting this because its fun to watch Texas flounder in any sport for any reason. **** Texas. Takes 1% of the pain away from being the worst team in the BIG 12.

In the categories that matter even Prohm outperformed Texas. Two big 12 tourney championships and 3-3 in the NCAA with a Sweet 16. The last two years have been awful. But his tenure definitely had some bright spots. Brighter than anything Texas has had in the past 5 years anyways.
Of all the Big12 teams in the tournament this year, Texas is the team, if I had to pick one, to lose 1st round. ISU being winless makes it easier to cheer more for those in the tournament. Now Kansas may lose next, if I had a choice.

Last edited:

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I picked Texas to go pretty far this year. Simply because of the law of averages. Surely they'll win a game a some point righ? nope.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Shaka is not a good coach. Love seeing Texas still continue to underperform in football and MBB.... it's awesome!

Texas makes WAY more $$$ than any other school, and lately have basically nothing to show for it.

I'm not smart enough to know what truly makes a great coach, but was his time at VCU all luck then? how do you explain the difference in performance? He is still the same guy with way more talent at his disposal now. How did he do so well at VCU?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They looked pretty tough and seemed to stick with their basic strengths recently but got out in front of themselves last night.

ACU's defense was strong but UT also looked more intent on impressing than just playing.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Shaka is just not a good coach. With the $ Texas has, they should be way better

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
They got lured into a fight with a really physical team.

I would have fired him a couple years ago but definitely this morning.

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Wins their first B12 tourney and the. Fired in less than 2 weeks. That would be something.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
UT had 22 turnovers, that was the ballgame. The Big 12 was trying to become the first conference to go 6 & 0 after the first round, but we can always count on UT to screw things up for the conference.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm not smart enough to know what truly makes a great coach, but was his time at VCU all luck then? how do you explain the difference in performance? He is still the same guy with way more talent at his disposal now. How did he do so well at VCU?

Maybe the same reason McDermott could coach at UNI and Creighton?

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Why do loaded teams like Kentucky, Duke, Texas underperform this year.....????

Probably been discussed, but there a few key factors:

- putting a lot of five star athletes together with one-and-dones requires a unique coach. Don't like Cal, K, Saban, but they are good at this. Shaka - no.

- Shaka was better at building his culture (three stars) and having players for 3-4 years at vcu. Texas athletes require a different skill set from a coach. See UT football. See Saban at Alabama

- This year's tournament with Covid environment has and will reward long tenured, culture builders with average talent - Iowa, etc.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
VCU wasn't luck he just had a knack for finding overlooked junkyard dog type of players.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I think that HAVOC defensive system he played at VCU required lots of substitutions, going deep into the bench, and no players averaging big numbers. A bunch of mid-major players out-hustling their opponents. That system does not work with lazy 5-star talents who want minutes, stats, and to be the stars of the show. In this case, better players do not work well with that system. I think he tried to play a similar style when he came into UT, but abandoned it after seeing it did not work there.

Yes, I agree that Shaka is not a great coach, but at VCU he had a a system that masked the deficiencies. Similar to the press WV used to play, Syracuse and Baylor's zones, Virginia's pack line defense, etc. Those are systems that are hard to prepare for if you don't play against those teams very often and that alone gives the team an advantage, even with a mediocre coach.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

I see what you did there.