Texas' Shaka Smart to Marquette

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I believe his buyout drops to 4 million on April 1st. Def within Texas range.

Buyout isn't the issue. Beard is the third highest paid coach in the country I believe - somewhere around $4.5 million per year. It's going to take a Brinks truck to get him to Texas. But Texas has that kind of money...will they spend it on MBB?

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Across FB & MBB, Texas has to be the worst "blue blood" coaching position. They seem to be micro-managed worst than anyone else with completely unreasonable expectations.

Mo' money, mo' problems. Donors are a giant PITA there. Did you see some of the school song emails that were sent to Texas leadership?

People love to reference Texas' salaries for coaches as a reason its a great job but there are massive drawbacks to coaching there too. Hence why they haven't been elite in a decade-plus.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Just ask yourself if TTU is paying him 6 million then why would UT not be able to pay him 7?
Could they? Sure. Will they? They haven't really rolled out giant funds for coaches.

Also if I'm beard, 6 million vs 7 million may not be worth starting all over at a place where he'd have to build his culture up again- in an athletic department that seems to have its own negative culture.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and bawbie

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
this is what we are missing in this thread..

Shaka to Marquette is not ideal for ISU looking to dominate Wisc recruiting..
Did I miss something? Was Shaka getting them down to Texas?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Could they? Sure. Will they? They haven't really rolled out giant funds for coaches.

Also if I'm beard, 6 million vs 7 million may not be worth starting all over at a place where he'd have to build his culture up again- in an athletic department that seems to have its own negative culture.

Knowing a few Tech people... Beard is a deity come down from Mount Olympus to them now.

It's close to how we were with Hoiberg there for awhile (and many still are).

I guess it depends on if Beard likes that or not.

• Agree
Reactions: Nothingman

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Iowa State was previously recruiting this kid pretty hard. Now that TX has a new coach. Maybe we can get him to flip out of his NLI

This kid is from Iowa and also committed to Shaka. Would love to flip him as well

Maybe both prefer Big 12 play over the Big East. Could be some DIAMONDS for COTZ
Ellis was interesting to watch in the state tournament for sure.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Maybe not a popular opinion, but I've never been that impressed with Smart as a coach. Can he get talent? Undoubtedly. But what has he done with it? I imagine almost every other coach in the Big XII would have done better with those players than he did.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Maybe not a popular opinion, but I've never been that impressed with Smart as a coach. Can he get talent? Undoubtedly. But what has he done with it? I imagine almost every other coach in the Big XII would have done better with those players than he did.

He’s kind of like Ben Jacobsen in that regard. His system is made for kids with chips on their shoulders that will buy in to the system 100%.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Beard is 4th in the country in salary behind Calipari, Krzyzewski, and Jay Wright at Villanova. Beard, Self, Huggins, Drew, and Kruger were all ahead of Smart in salary.

Interesting tidbits: Calipari's current buyout is 54 million. Hoiberg's is second highest at $22 million, with Tony Bennett right behind him at $21M.

EDIT: My mistake, TCU's Dixon is also ahead of Smart, and is the 2nd highest paid coach in the Big XII.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Beard is 4th in the country in salary behind Calipari, Krzyzewski, and Jay Wright at Villanova. Beard, Self, Huggins, Drew, and Kruger were all ahead of Smart in salary.

Interesting tidbits: Calipari's current buyout is 54 million. Hoiberg's is second highest at $22 million, with Tony Bennett right behind him at $21M.

EDIT: My mistake, TCU's Dixon is also ahead of Smart, and is the 2nd highest paid coach in the Big XII.

WOOF

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

UT just does not strike me as a conducive environment for successful coaching. I'm not sure what it is, but in both sports talent has not equated to wins for some time. I guess the question just becomes whether you think some of these guys are good coaches who are hamstrung by the University, or just bad coaches who don't maximize talent.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
UT just does not strike me as a conducive environment for successful coaching. I'm not sure what it is, but in both sports talent has not equated to wins for some time. I guess the question just becomes whether you think some of these guys are good coaches who are hamstrung by the University, or just bad coaches who don't maximize talent.

Texas is kind of weird for basketball. Much like OU, tOSU, and Bama. There are only two major sports at those kinds of schools:

1)Football
2)Football recruiting

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I will not be surprised if Beard stays at TTU, his kids from his first marriage live in the Lubbock area, which he says was important for him when he dumped UNLV and went to Tech.

With that said, Beard recruiting to Austin instead of Lubbock would be scary!

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I’m guessing the Kaluma ship sailed with Nunn
I have no knowledge of their relationship, were they great friends?

TJ was pretty quick to not recruit, that might have been from him watching Kaluma games/tape. That might have been based on feedback he got from Kaluma.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't think it's as bad as some predict. We'll be recruiting some of the same guys but a lot of different guys as well. Shaka has a very specific type of system and there's no question the Big XII is still more enticing for a lot of recruits that want to be on the big stage more than just in the Big Dance.
I think ISUs success in WI makes ISU fans think there’s a bunch of talent in WI, when there really isn’t that much. In the past 5 classes there have been a grand total of 9 guys that were 4 or 5 stars per 247. Prohm is the only coach in the past 5 years to get more than one (Hunter and Lewis). Prohm also got the best 3 star in Halliburton.

So there is decent talent there, but if Marquette improves in state recruiting, a realistic target will be to get a 4/5 star guy every other year and get a few under the radar guys.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't think we actually beat Marquette for that many of our Wisconsin guys in the first place. Haliburton never had a Marquette offer. Hunter had a Marquette offer, but I don't think he was seriously considering them. The Iceman had ISU and Virginia as his final two, if I remember correctly. If anything, I'd say we were already losing a number of top targets in WI and MN to Marquette, so any change would be positive.

I guess we beat Marquette for T. Lewis, but we all know how that turned out...
I think Marquette has no scholarship guys from WI on their roster. I think it has been a while since they have recruited well in WI. Competition in WI is only going to increase with Shaka.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz