Texas & Oklahoma leaving in 2024, period.

Clones123

May 5, 2016
Des Moines, IA
What would leaving in 24 have to do with the 23 schedule?
I just would think they would be making their 2023 and 2024 schedules at the same time, since there is only a 2 year period OUT are here with the additions. Like how one year's schedule could be contingent on opponents on the other or something.

Let's say Texas is scheduled to host Houston in '23, and make the return trip to UH in '24. Texas could get out of playing @ UH entirely if they left and don't change up the 2023 schedule, assuming whatever it contains has been approved already by the conference. Or, scheduled to play a game against ISU in '24 but not in '23, so then they'd never have to face us again after this past meeting.

I'm just antsy and want the schedules released!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The only way I can see it making sense for Big 12 to give them a dime against what they have agreed to, is if we have a killer expansion to 14 or 16 lined up and there's some logistical reason it makes more sense to get them out a year before that starts. Even then...play a season with 16 or 18 including OUT if you can get quality new additions in by 2024.

I mean how can there be any negotiating?

I can see Colorado/AZ as a two team add being the best and most likely. I talk to some connected AZ people and they have been up for it for a while, now some CU noise visible out in the open. Utah is a great AD but you already have the #1 fan support program in that small market state. How could it possibly be bad to have the 4 new additions, CU/AZ and OUT for one more season? Doesn't seem that hard. You'd have the same 16 teams the SEC and B1G will eventually have but only for one season then down to 14.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The only way I can see it making sense for Big 12 to give them a dime against what they have agreed to, is if we have a killer expansion to 14 or 16 lined up and there's some logistical reason it makes more sense to get them out a year before that starts. Even then...play a season with 16 or 18 including OUT if you can get quality new additions in by 2024.

I can see Colorado/AZ as a two team add being the best and most likely. I talk to some connected AZ people and they have been up for it for a while, now some CU noise visible out in the open. Utah is a great AD but you already have the #1 fan support program in that small market state. How could it possibly be bad to have the 4 new additions, CU/AZ and OUT for one more season? Doesn't seem that hard. You'd have the same 16 teams the SEC and B1G will eventually have but only for one season then down to 14.

Actually, that would be great after the PAC commissioner comments.

PAC:. We think the addition of Deon will improve our TV contract bids

COLORADO: We out

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018

I 100% want Colorado back in the Big 12 with Prime. That would be incredible entertainment.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I 100% want Colorado back in the Big 12 with Prime. That would be incredible entertainment.

Colorado/Arizona as the only two adds for now makes the most sense by far the more I think about it. Even without Sanders.

It also allows the Pac to limp along and I genuinely would prefer that. We've been through it. Better than the entire conference being obliterated and 2-4 teams merge with MWC. They can survive with the 6-8 remaining and some additions if Big 12 and Big Ten only poach 2-4 teams combined.

Reactions: Raiders70 and surly

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
It will all come down to money, if OU and UT join the SEC, then ESPN has to pay more under the contract, so the league and the network have to decide if it really worth the buyout to everyone involved for both schools to leave after the 2023 season. If they can reach a buyout, most likely around $50 million each, then they will move. If not then they will play the 2024 season and leave after the end of the GOR.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Athletic Article:

"At the Big 12’s basketball media day in October, new commissioner Brett Yormark spoke definitively about Oklahoma and Texas’ timeline for joining the SEC. “They’re going to be here through ‘25,” he told reporters. “They’ve committed themselves in advance of me getting here, and they’ve reiterated that commitment.”

Behind the scenes, though, that’s no longer the case.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I was wondering something similar. Could they be suspended for a year? It could at least be leverage to push them out.

Probably not, you'd need some reason to suspend them, like an SMU death penalty type of event. But even then, it'd only be in a single sport.

If you suspended them for no reason, then we'd probably be breaking the contract between the school and the Big12. I'm saying this not knowing what legal stuff is in place between the schools and conference, but generally, I'd assume that schools will participate in the conference and in return, the Big 12 organizes events and handles the business side of NCAA sports. In big general terms, that's probably the agreement in place.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I wouldn't take a penny less than they owe. $80 million + GOR each.
I’m not sure what the difference is for leaving a year early, but it would probably to smart to negotiates a little to let them out a year early. Assuming we make more money even with that negotiation than we would with them here.

Reactions: IstateClone

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
SEC schools be like "Quick, bring them in while they suck so we can beat up on them!"
The SEC’s best bet is to have a good Texas when they enter. When Texas is good, they are content. When they suck, it’s the conference’s problem and they aren’t doing enough to keep UT competitive. I still believe UT will blow up the SEC before it is all said and done. Don’t get me wrong, the SEC isn’t going away, but UT will cause a lot of internal strife.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I’m not sure what the difference is for leaving a year early, but it would probably to smart to negotiates a little to let them out a year early. Assuming we make more money even with that negotiation than we would with them here.
2024-2025 is first year of expanded playoffs.

Reactions: IstateClone

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Just pay the buyout, and go get destroyed by Bama and Georgia on an annual basis.

Reactions: VeloClone

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Big12 should just strike a deal for them to be gone immediately. Or maybe 24 is the earliest because you need to get the '23 football schedule finalized soon.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
2024-2025 is first year of expanded playoffs.
All the more reason to make more by letting them out early. 2024 is also the year ESPN takes over the SEC, and USC/UCLA joins the B1G. It’s made sense for OuuT to leave a year early since the day it was announced they were leaving.