Teske out

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Well Dressers comments in DMR make it sound like we won't get any of the blue chips. Let's hope that's not the case.
That's frustrating. Not landing Carr would sting the most as he is a legacy that I think was the most talented and filled the greatest need. So I guess Robie did all the recruiting at VT? I don't think Dresser has gotten a recruit outside of Gomez, to commit from outside the state. We need an assistant that can connect with these kids from outside our neighborhood. The days of winning titles with just Iowa kids is over I believe.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Agree it stings, but it would sting more if we couldn't get them to even consider us.

Sometimes the kids need to see the product perform. I am optimistic that we will surprise some people with results from guys like Vega, Simmons/Parker, Degen, Straw/DiBlasi, Colbray, Harrington/Gremmel, etc
Trying not to read into things too much but have to ask if there is a reason you left Dante off this list?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Agree it stings, but it would sting more if we couldn't get them to even consider us.

Sometimes the kids need to see the product perform. I am optimistic that we will surprise some people with results from guys like Vega, Simmons/Parker, Degen, Straw/DiBlasi, Colbray, Harrington/Gremmel, etc
Going to disagree here. This is why we paid big money for Dresser. The track record is already there from his time at Virginia Tech. The wrestlers should know what they are getting. Once again, I am not sure we have a great recruiter on staff at the moment. The fact Robie held onto everyone told me a lot of what he did for that programs recruiting. Also the fact that none of the blue chippers outside of Gomez stayed last year stung. When you do more with less it is great, but the margin for error is very low. Keeping Verkleeren or Smith would have set up our middle weights for the future, now we have to make sure Coleman and Leisure outperform their rankings. Our margin for error is shrinking.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Trying not to read into things too much but have to ask if there is a reason you left Dante off this list?
Probably think Degen wins that weight. The one that should be on our list of top performers is Dane Pestano. He was really good at 184 as a Soph, and has wins over wrestlers that AA last year. If he can regain and enhance his form a that weight he may be the one to look out for.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
If we land Carr and Silverstien, this class will be a win
The idea that we are mentioned on #3 Aaron Brooks, #5 Carr, #8 Lewan, #11 Lee, #12 Sasso, #29 Shannon, #34 Teske tells me this staff is for real.

They will get their guys eventually, it may not be this year.

Our class is not a disaster, Still on Carr, Shannon, #72 Silverstein, Stotts, and Bennett.
Committments from #46 Shaprio and #82 Duggan, also Lara, Sherry, Judge

Is there a reason DiBlasi is not on your list? He is still committed to us to my knowledge and isn't he top 100?

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
If we land Carr and Silverstein, this class will be a win. Silverstein is criminally underrated.

Shannon is such a wildcard. His recruitment has been non existent it seems for someone rated so high. If we could land him, that would be a big win too.

Would also love to get Bennett and Stotts too obviously.

That would give us the #5, #29, #46, #72, #82 in the country (pretty sure DiBlasi was ranked in the top 100 too at one point) - plus Lara, Sherry and Judge

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
If we land Carr and Silverstien, this class will be a win

Is there a reason DiBlasi is not on your list? He is still committed to us to my knowledge and isn't he top 100?

Again just forgot. Going off the top of my head. I haven't heard if he is still committed or not. But definitely still considering us & should be included

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think we will also be after Doolittle from Webster City and Aden Reeves from Albia next year. Reeves is probably a 125 pounder and Doolittle may be also

Reactions: HitItHard58

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I agree that we are/have been considered among many top prospects is good..but whether we come in 2nd, 5th or 100th for a recruit, still means we didn't land them.

This years class is one of the best that has come through in quite awhile IMO, and next year's class is one of the weakest in quite some time. The number #30 kid this year, does not equal the #30 kid next year. This year's class is so deep. Missing out on this many top recruits this year stings..
I totally disagree. This class may have more star power at the top but doesn't have the depth of next years class both nationally and in IA. Now, in IA it starts to get fairly thin after the 2019 class.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Ranked #65 on Flo senior board & ranked #4 at 120. Teske is ranked #6 at 120
I never understand their big boards...

Cashman = #4 at 120 but is ranked #65 overall
Teske = #6 at 120 but is ranked #34

Can anyone explain this to me?

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
The idea that we are mentioned on #3 Aaron Brooks, #5 Carr, #8 Lewan, #11 Lee, #12 Sasso, #29 Shannon, #34 Teske tells me this staff is for real.

They will get their guys eventually, it may not be this year.

Our class is not a disaster, Still on Carr, Shannon, #72 Silverstein, Stotts, and Bennett.
Committments from #46 Shaprio and #82 Duggan, also Lara, Sherry, Judge, & DiBlasi?
Intermat ranks:
7 David Carr Massillon Perry Ohio 152

24 Aaron Brooks N Hagerstown Maryland 160 OTC

37 Emille Shannon C Brothers Coll Missouri 160

58 Aaron Cashman Shakopee Minnesota 113

64 Joel Shapiro WDM Valley Iowa 160 Iowa State

69 Jake Silverstein Hauppauge New York 138

70 Francis Duggan Iowa City West Iowa 220 Iowa State

75 Weston DiBlasi Park Hill Missouri 126 Iowa State

Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Intermat ranks:
7 David Carr Massillon Perry Ohio 152

24 Aaron Brooks N Hagerstown Maryland 160 OTC

37 Emille Shannon C Brothers Coll Missouri 160

58 Aaron Cashman Shakopee Minnesota 113

64 Joel Shapiro WDM Valley Iowa 160 Iowa State

69 Jake Silverstein Hauppauge New York 138

70 Francis Duggan Iowa City West Iowa 220 Iowa State

75 Weston DiBlasi Park Hill Missouri 126 Iowa State

Intermat really needs to update their rankings/weights/etc more often..

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Just forgot. Dante should definitely be included
Figured it was either you forgot or just didn't mention him because we know what we can get out of Dante. I'm excited for Degen but if Dante is healthy, I think he'll be the guy at 49 and will have a good if not great year. Can't wait to watch him plant some guys.