Taco Time closing in Ames at the end of March

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Bumping as the closing date is almost here. For any Ames peeps tomorrow is the last day. I was there about an hour ago and line was halfway to the door.

• Friendly
Reactions: stinkbaitcatfish

stinkbaitcatfish

Aug 13, 2018
Huntington Beach , CA
When did it open? I was at ISU in the early 80s, and quite often stoned. I'm surprised I never heard of it.

..... roomate cooked there from 83-86 .... dude..... remnants.... were a masterpiece....

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Reactions: Acylum

bigsag

Jan 27, 2009
Regular consumer of TT's soft shelled meat burrito as a student back in the early to mid 70's. Often would stop by TT when ever I would be back in Ames for a meeting or conference. Loved their taco sauce. Going to miss the place....

• Friendly

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
When did it open? I was at ISU in the early 80s, and quite often stoned. I'm surprised I never heard of it.

You obviously weren't stoned that often or not that stoned then. A crisp meat burrito after a full load of THC is pure heaven. I have to admit, i have never tried any of their other offerings, but the end of the CMB fit perfectly into their hot sauce container after every bite. I always needed two hot sauces for every burrito though.

• Winner

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Crisp chicken taco is legendary.

Word to the wise. TT is a west coast chain and you can still get it.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Why am I just now seeing this thread? I loved Taco Time! Had I known it was closing I would have went one last time when I was in Ames a couple weeks ago. :(

• Agree

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Why am I just now seeing this thread? I loved Taco Time! Had I known it was closing I would have went one last time when I was in Ames a couple weeks ago. :(

I saw the thread soon after it posted, and I was in Ames last week, but didn't think to go there just for nostalgia. Oh well, I have the memories.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
He is still looking for a buyer for the business - who would have to build a whole new building, certainly with a DT.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Went today with daughter and she said location was a big turnoff because of the lack of bus stops nearby. Went to the original in the early 70's and told her of the taco nite special- 4for a dollar. Upper classmen had us buy them by the bagfuls, I think I had 40 at one time.

Help Support Us

Become a patron