Surprised by how much more talent has than us

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Twice we let Iowa scramble out of their own endzone up to midfield on 3rd down. That is why Iowa won, a few big plays. I actually feel better about ISU than before this game.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Yards has to be one of the most overrated stats in football. Yeah, we gave up 500 yards of offense. Until the last 5 minutes of the game they were virtually empty yards.

How about points then? Underrated too?

Yards are a good supporting statistic. 500 yards and 31 points is bad defense. 31 points and 300 yards with a couple defensive scores is a different effort.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
How about points then? Underrated too?

Not sure what your post has anything to do with the fact that until the final 5 minutes of the game the defense had given up something like 450 yards but only 17 points. I'd say the final 5 minute meltdown had more to do with the fact that they spent virtually the entire second half on the field.

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
I actually feel better about ISU than before this game.

You're quite the optimist then. I by no means think the season is lost, but if we give up big plays against Iowa, what will happen against TCU, Baylor, WVU, Oklahoma...? Our offense looked good in the first half, but 66 yards in the second half is unacceptable. We will be eaten alive in conference if that's how our offense performs in games.

There are good things to grow from, but we have a lot to fix, it would seem.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I agree. The fact they had less talent than ISU was a surprising amount. Can only imagine what Iowa's staff would do with CPR's roster.
That walkon WR for Iowa was clutch though. How many former walkons start for Iowa? Those natives getting up to beat ISU was huge.

Iowa and ISU have the same amount of instate players starting (6). Iowa has 50 total on their roster, 49 for ISU.

The difference is Iowa usually picks up 1-2 good OL each year and they send 1 instate OL to the NFL every year or two, so this advantage will continue for as long as Kirk is there.

ISU, IMO has a slight disadvantage in talent to Iowa, but most of it is in the OL and front 7 on D.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
ISU never threw over the safeties and allowed Iowa to play a 20 yd field. That's why we sucked in the 2nd half.

SheldonCooper

May 30, 2014
Not sure what your post has anything to do with the fact that until the final 5 minutes of the game the defense had given up something like 450 yards but only 17 points. I'd say the final 5 minute meltdown had more to do with the fact that they spent virtually the entire second half on the field.

If Iowa had been able to run one more play at the end of the first half, this game would have been 38-17.

IGoState

Jan 15, 2011
We never throw over the safety, don't know why, maybe our coach doesn't understand modern football

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
guys...we played hard...we aren't that good. We lack the ability to separate on offense and our defense can't give up QB runs of 30+ yards to a guy like Beathard. I hate to say that I think we're going to have a rough season again.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron