"Supporters Rally Behind Embattled McCarney"

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah, I saw it earlier. Should be interesting to see who else is behind D-Mac.

I really wish I was one of them. I was before, but can't do it anymore.

ericlambi

Mar 24, 2006
“We think Dan and his staff are the right people for the job,”

and

“Dan’s a great coach,”

I would like the people who are supporting Mac to give any fact based reason for statements like this. Except, they can't. There is none.

Dan MacCarney's record speaks for itself, and he is definitely not a "great coach", nor is he the "right person for the job" (unless that job is to run a below average college football team).

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
" “Dan’s a great coach,” said Donnie Duncan, who coached football at Iowa State between 1979 and ’82. “Iowa State knocked on the door of winning the North Division title the past two seasons, but sometimes when things don’t go your way, like now, that doesn’t mean you’ve failed. It means that you’ve got the right combination that got you to the
door, and that sooner or later, you’ll get through it.” "

Yeah sooner or later every 5-6 years we may have a chance of winning 7-8 wins a season and just fall short of winning the miserable Big 12 North. But it will come. Granted we haven't gotten past the hump in 12 years but it will come sooner or later. Also, tell me the missing piece of the puzzle as to why our offense is so much worse than last year.

Apparently this year we fell down the stairs before getting to the door at the top. What a load of crap.

SlyCy

Apr 17, 2006
North Liberty, Iowa
How do you support a coach that says he doesn't know what the problem is and doesn't know how to fix it after the Kansas press conference?

If I employed someone getting paid a million dollars plus and they didn't know what the problem was or how to fix it.....they wouldn't be working for me long.

Last edited:

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
At this point in the season, the problem is the team has quit. That was pretty obvious on Saturday. Once something doesn't go their way, they keel over and die.

Case in point: our defense gets two consecutive 3 and outs to start the game (have we done that at all prior to Saturday?). Baum muffs the punt, and we get dominated for the rest of the half.

We come out and march down the field to start the second half. Kock fumbles, and we're lifeless for the remainder of the game.

For all of the players "getting mad" about the booing, perhaps they should have realized that they're playing for McCarney's job and leave it all out on the field. The lack of effort that they're showing is really making me wonder if they even want him back.

We got outscored by the two Kansas schools the last two weeks 72-20. they score 31 unanswered in Manhattan, and 41 straight in Ames. Anyone think that those teams are that much better than we are?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
At this point in the season, the problem is the team has quit. That was pretty obvious on Saturday. Once something doesn't go their way, they keel over and die.

It's been our problem all year - handling adversity. Once adversity strikes - we do as you say - roll over. From day one this year we've done that.

The offense goes dormant for quarters at a time and the defense looks dazed and confused.

I think I even posted about adversity being a problem early in the season, will see if I can find it.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
You may be right, but not to this extreme. Forty-one consecutive points by the Kansas freakin Jayhawks on our home field? Did our players forget that those same Jayhawks broke our heart last year, or were the fans the only ones that cared?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
As far as the 'giving up when faced with adversity' thing goes:

What really worries me is actually our record. No, not the fact that we've lost so many games, but the fact that we literally cannot win the North (or even rank in the middle) or become bowl eligible. The players have nothing left to play for, save their own good names. They *might* be motivated to beat Colorado by the sheer fact that losing to Colorado on top of everyone else would be salt on the wounds, but what reason do they have to put any effort whatsoever into Missouri? None, and I'm sure that's what we'll see on the field, just as we saw against Kansas.

It's depressing more than anything. Games lost in the past all but ensure games lost in the future.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
The point in my response was there should have been some motivation to win that game -- or even compete. McCarney's job is on the line, they took the North from us last year, their entire team gathered on the middle of our logo before the game, and we were as flat as we have been all year.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
The whole story is up now, but they haven't really added anything. More quotes about what incredible coaches Mac and his staff are, yadda yadda yadda. It's not my place, but I do kind of wonder why we should put so much stock in a pair of high school football coaches' opinions about a D-I staff, especially since they both seem like brownnosers with nothing but good to spout. It's possible the Rag just made them out that way, but still.

cy2323

Oct 23, 2006
We need a coach who can win not a coach the players love. Look where Morgan got us in basketball. The players loved him but we all know he sure the heck couldn't coach!

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Man I wish I could pull down $1.1 million dollars a year without having to meet a high level of expectation. No one can criticize ISU fans for not being patient. There's no need for fans to feel bad for having a higher level of expectation than the current coaching staff has delivered.

I'm tied of the dogma that ISU can't do better. This is a trumped up perspective created by the media. It's time for Cyclone fans to stand up and prove the outsiders wrong.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I have no problem with the article...until that last line. I hate that impression that ISU can't get anyone equal to or better than Mac.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Rag with a BS article. Check out the end:

McCarney has a 55-84 record since coming to the school in 1995. He has a 26-67 conference record.

"I have the utmost respect for Dan and his staff, just like I do at Iowa with Kirk (Ferentz) and his staff," Ottumwa coach Tom Kopatich said. "The Iowa State job - it's a tough place to coach, and Dan's done a great job. His team had injuries this season, but he's never used that as an excuse.

"Ask yourself this - who are you going to get that's better than him?"

I added the bold emphasis but, here we are with another article basically saying," You're ISU and you can't do better."