Sturgill Simpson "Sound and Fury" Album

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Anyone else digging this? Sturgill is the most diverse artist (musically) out there today. It is a great rock album. Lyrically he can put them together with the best of them. He did have a quote once that was something along the line of "No matter what I put it out it will be country because of my voice." I think he is pretty wrong, because this is far from country, but man, that raspy drawl still makes it closer than I think he wanted.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I hated it on first listen, and love it now. I expected a big rock record, but didn't like the synths.

Fastest Horse in Town slams.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Gave it my first listen and I think I need a few more to fully process it. It was such a departure from what I expected the first listen was very much a "what the hell is this" experience. Musically, he's still the man. There are some incredible riffs and that voice will always play well. But it's just so...different... I think I need to listen a few more times before I form an opinion.

ImperialCyclone

Sep 11, 2012
Sturgill is my all time favorite musician. The guy just slays it. This album is no different. His sound evolves over time and he takes chances (not because he has to in order to sell albums, but because he loves music). His versatility always bleeds through in each of his songs.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Gave it my first listen and I think I need a few more to fully process it. It was such a departure from what I expected the first listen was very much a "what the hell is this" experience. Musically, he's still the man. There are some incredible riffs and that voice will always play well. But it's just so...different... I think I need to listen a few more times before I form an opinion.

That is what it was like for me. I knew it would be different, but it was not what I expected. I freaking love it now.

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
Love his first 3 albums so I'll have to check it out.

His cover of "The Promise" is (as the Skids on Letterkenny say) wonderous.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
Dude is top notch. For a guy like me that went from rock to americana/red dirt he and several others check all the boxes for me. Great album.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Awesome read on Sturgill:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/arts/music/sturgill-simpson-sound-and-fury.html

Gotta love this blurb:

In 2017, after the Grammys, Simpson had sinus surgery, and during his weeks of recovery, took to listening to the music he was raised on, while high on medical-grade edibles. One day, he was reading “Macbeth”: “It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

“I was like, that’s how I feel right now,” he recalled. “Like, what is all this really for other than making a bunch of strangers happy and trying to let people have fun?”

Also, how awesome would this have been?

Nominated for two Grammys in 2017, he tussled with the show’s producers over whether he’d even be allowed to perform. (He did, with the Dap-Kings.) And he was anxious about the possibility of a Grammys-style upset in which — up against Adele, Beyoncé, Justin Bieber and Drake — he’d win album of the year. If he’d won, his plan was to hand the trophy to Beyoncé, then walk out of the building.

Reactions: bawbie

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
FYI, Strugill and Tyler Childer's tour dates were announced. No Des Moines, but there is Chicago, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Omaha and Madison.

February 21 — Birmingham, Alabama
February 22 — Asheville, North Carolina
February 25 — Knoxville, Tennessee
February 28 — Lexington, Kentucky
February 29 — Detroit, Michigan
March 4 — Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
March 6 — Charlotte, North Carolina
March 7 — Duluth, Georgia
March 10 — North Charleston, South Carolina
March 13 — Hampton, Virginia
March 14 — Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
March 15-16 — Washington, D.C.
March 18 — Toronto, Ontario, Canada
March 20 — Columbus, Ohio
March 21 — St. Louis, Missouri
March 22 — Southaven, Mississippi
March 27 — Dallas, Texas
March 28 — Austin, Texas
March 29 — Sugarland, Texas
April 1 — Independence, Missouri
April 3 — Chicago, Illinois
April 4 — Minneapolis, Minnesota
April 9 — Omaha, Nebraska
April 10 — Madison, Wisconsin
April 23 — Tulsa, Oklahoma
April 25 — Denver, Colorado
April 28 — Salt Lake City, Utah
April 29 — Missoula, Montana
May 1 — Portland, Oregon
May 2 — George, Washington
May 5 — San Francisco, California
May 8 — Inglewood, California
May 15 — Boston, Massachusetts
May 16 — New York City
May 22 — Nashville, Tennessee
May 24 — Louisville, Kentucky

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/sturgill-simpson-tyler-childers-tour-dates-904442

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Sturgill is my all time favorite musician. The guy just slays it. This album is no different. His sound evolves over time and he takes chances (not because he has to in order to sell albums, but because he loves music). His versatility always bleeds through in each of his songs.

He was an angry, angry man on guitar at Hinterland. And I mean that in the best way possible. I'll never forget that show.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I love Sturgill and think Sound and Fury is really really strong lyrically, but I just can’t get past the ****** sounding (I know it’s intentional) production and all the synth. Not what I was hoping for when he was promising a sleazy rock record.

With that being said, I’m sure the live versions of these songs kick ass and will definitely be going to the Minneapolis show.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Has anyone watched the Netflix anime thing for the album? I'm curious, but don't love anime.