Students Cutting in Line / Entering Hilton Coliseum

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
The KU game is on syllabus day. You better believe I'm skipping class to make sure that I get into Hilton.
I don't know about your classes, but most of my courses had syllabus day as mandatory. Attendance was taken, and anyone that didn't sign in got cut from the roster.

TensasCy

Mar 24, 2012
Have the students line up according to GPA, then in reverse GPA for the next game. That would pretty much solve the problem.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I don't know about your classes, but most of my courses had syllabus day as mandatory. Attendance was taken, and anyone that didn't sign in got cut from the roster.

There is a university-wide policy now that requires you to come to one of the first two meetings of a class or else risk being cut. So as long as I show up on Wednesday, I am still guaranteed the spot.

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Its the fault of greedy ADs attempting to ramp up demand for tickets across the board by having kids camp out. Doesn't just happen at ISU but for the most part most schools have big enough arenas to avoid those scenes. Just stupid the kids should be in class. Allowing game day lining up for the best seats is fine. But students should not have to worry about getting turned away.

SADLY...the easist solution isn't the most fair one. And that would be for big basketball games allow students to purchase individual seats via their student tickets in the student section. Give priority through prior attendance and have onsales and get an extra 10-20 per ticket out of the kids. What remains unsold can go first come first serve to kids who had normal seasons for free. Assigned seats purchased in advance means no camping This would generate tremendous backlash however since it would be seen as gouging poor college kids.

But attempting to recreate black friday lines for big sports games to drum up publicity and demand is unethical college kids have a lot on their plates....some even have jobs to go with studies and their social life everyone can't stand in line for hours most rely on a pal to let them cut.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This may not be true, but he's definitely the only one who goes to class at 4:00 on a Friday. I guess as a parent you should probably be pretty proud of that

Well, I think his whole class was there before the Iowa game because instructor required them to hand in an assignment in person and get the take home part of the final in person (seems like he had hw in everything dead week). But I am proud of his attitude. He figures since he and we are sinking thousands of dollars into this education he might as well get his money's worth. And he is a junior in an engineering major so he either takes it seriously or changes majors.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Well, I think his whole class was there before the Iowa game because instructor required them to hand in an assignment in person and get the take home part of the final in person (seems like he had hw in everything dead week). But I am proud of his attitude. He figures since he and we are sinking thousands of dollars into this education he might as well get his money's worth. And he is a junior in an engineering major so he either takes it seriously or changes majors.

I hate when prof's do that...

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
No I have the same issue. I skipped for the Iowa game because my one that goes until 4 I don't pay attention because she just reads the book to us and my one that goes until three was a make up exam if you missed any of them. So I was fine for this time. Next semester I made sure to set my schedule up so I wouldn't have many problems with it. For example I am done very early on Mondays.

I wish he had more flexibility in his major. They always do dumb stuff like schedule classes that are supposedly taken the same term in the four year plan at exactly the same time or something. And it seems like they just love the late afternoon times.

dstadtlander

Dec 12, 2013
Ames
www.drakestadtlander.com
This is a University with a great Engineering College and lots of Civil Engineers that study traffic management and other fun Civil Engineering things....have them come up with a more logical way to have people line up and you would eliminate all of these problems (well except skipping class to stand in line). Whoever designed the current line is obviously not much of a genius. A yellow rope that can blow over in the wind and a gate system that only extends 100 feet past the stairs of Hilton is obviously not going to work, have said it since they put it up. I will give them props on having us all wait at the bottom of the stairs now and go up in small groups and opening the doors sooner than 1 hour before hand...

I am no crowd expert but the best solution is more gates and no straight lines. Good metal gates are made to not be knocked over and by not having them in one straight line you create curves and gaps that slow the traffic down and keep mass amounts of people from shoving. Placing the metal gates all the way around Hilton as far as they could (without blocking exits/entrances) would keep people from cutting too. Add some security guards out there too...at the first game of the year some old security guard was out there kicking people out of line that cut.

This isn't that hard of problem to solve.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
This is a University with a great Engineering College and lots of Civil Engineers that study traffic management and other fun Civil Engineering things....have them come up with a more logical way to have people line up and you would eliminate all of these problems (well except skipping class to stand in line). Whoever designed the current line is obviously not much of a genius. A yellow rope that can blow over in the wind and a gate system that only extends 100 feet past the stairs of Hilton is obviously not going to work, have said it since they put it up. I will give them props on having us all wait at the bottom of the stairs now and go up in small groups and opening the doors sooner than 1 hour before hand...

I am no crowd expert but the best solution is more gates and no straight lines. Good metal gates are made to not be knocked over and by not having them in one straight line you create curves and gaps that slow the traffic down and keep mass amounts of people from shoving. Placing the metal gates all the way around Hilton as far as they could (without blocking exits/entrances) would keep people from cutting too. Add some security guards out there too...at the first game of the year some old security guard was out there kicking people out of line that cut.

This isn't that hard of problem to solve.
This was exactly what I was thinking. It makes it much more difficult to cut in line when someone has to physically jump a barricade to get into the line. Just would need some event staff watching at a few points and this wouldn't be an issue at all.

AbidebyCy

Mar 26, 2012
Carroll, Iowa
Thoughts on having the line in the Scheman building, with someone handing out numbered tickets at one door? Then using the west door of Hilton to enter? I know my freshman year going through destination Iowa State that we were all "processed" in that building. There are proper restroom facilities there (some guy took a **** in line at the iowa game) and its heated (not needed, but would be nice since 7-8 hours in an Iowa January is pretty cold. And also with the numbered ticket system, they could turn people away right away if needed instead of them waiting for a wasted 2 hours. Just my thoughts, let me know if I'm being too logical.

dstadtlander

Dec 12, 2013
Ames
www.drakestadtlander.com
Thoughts on having the line in the Scheman building, with someone handing out numbered tickets at one door? Then using the west door of Hilton to enter? I know my freshman year going through destination Iowa State that we were all "processed" in that building. There are proper restroom facilities there (some guy took a **** in line at the iowa game) and its heated (not needed, but would be nice since 7-8 hours in an Iowa January is pretty cold. And also with the numbered ticket system, they could turn people away right away if needed instead of them waiting for a wasted 2 hours. Just my thoughts, let me know if I'm being too logical.

I'm pretty sure the only problem with that is they sometimes have like a bar setup in there for people and then they get to just walk over to Hilton once the game starts.....

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'm pretty sure the only problem with that is they sometimes have like a bar setup in there for people and then they get to just walk over to Hilton once the game starts.....
I know those people wouldn't like it but they could and should move that to the Alumni Building. That is what it was built for wasn't it. They could shuttle people over or they could just drive to their actual spots after leaving.

itslow

Jan 29, 2010
Lottery and assigned seats for big games.

/thread

The lottery system worked perfectly fine from 2001-2005 when I was there. Sure, we didn't always get in the first 5 rows, but that's life. You don't always get what you want.

Any sort of physical queue system is going to have problems with students skipping class, cutting in line, etc.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Something like this would work.
vicky-flyzone.jpg