Student Ticket Prices & Cyclone Alley

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
This is a topic split away from a recent post about Cyclone Alley where a member was complaining about the ridiculous price of $30 on top of $125 for lower level seating at Hilton for basketball events. This sparked an idea and thus, a comparison of ISU and other Big 12 schools student ticket offerings (in price high to low):

Oklahoma - $335 (or $155 for basketball only)

Oklahoma State - $330 (or $242 for bball only & $172 for football only)

Texas A&M - $325 (or $175 for bball only; $199 football only)

Kansas State - $295 (or $235 for general seating; Olympic sports free)

Iowa State - $280 (or $125 for just basketball/football; Olympic pass free w/ both)

Missouri - $220 (includes football or $140 for just football; Olympic sports free)

Kansas - $150 (includes football & Olympic sports too)

Texas - $150 (or just $80 for basketball only)

Texas Tech - FREE ($52 athletics charge on all student bills)

Nebraska - Confusing ($152 for football, $?? for basketball plus some deal with needing to validate each ticket at $7 the week of game)

Colorado - Not Available

Baylor - Not Available

So, how do you think ISU compares in our offerings to that of other Big 12 schools??

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm totally fine with paying it. Compare Iowa State's budget to any of those schools. Iowa State NEEDS that money more than any of those schools.

Weren't season tickets $250 though? $125 for each sport, plus the optional Kansas City football ticket. I struggle to count that in the season ticket "package" since it was optional.

I wanna say mine broke down
$125 Football
$125 Men's Basketball
$20 Kansas State Football Game
$10 Service Charge.

So $260 with service charge.

Last edited:

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
$125 Football
$125 Men's Basketball
$10 Service Charge.

I did not count the Kansas City game in there, and counted the $30 CA fee for 'premier' basketball seating; so I guess the total could be $290. I did not find anything else like Cyclone Alley other then K-State's premier/general seating for their student tickets.

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
I wanna say for something like $65 per year Iowa State could do the same. I know I have a post on here about it somewhere but I don't remember what thread its in.

It would be interesting to break down the difference in revenue that would be for the athletic fund... Could likely get more student fans in general to attend as well!!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It would be interesting to break down the difference in revenue that would be for the athletic fund... Could likely get more student fans in general to attend as well!!

In fairness, only $12 goes to CA. The rest goes to the SAA. They are who I have a problem with. Bunch of **** suckers for pairing that **** together, and they aren't backing down from it anytime soon. My recommendation is walking in to buy your CA thing during football season and saying you already have the SA card and don't need another one.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
In fairness, only $12 goes to CA. The rest goes to the SAA. They are who I have a problem with. Bunch of **** suckers for pairing that **** together, and they aren't backing down from it anytime soon. My recommendation is walking in to buy your CA thing during football season and saying you already have the SA card and don't need another one.

I agree with you here, we pay for SAA but don't get much out of it. There is no reason that students should have to pay for that garbage.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Ticket fix:
*Note* I completely realize some people would flip **** over the fee, but bear with me.

Charge all students $40 of an athletics fee on their UBill with tuition

My assumptions:
Current Prices:
Football Season Tix: $125
MBB Season Tix: $125
Football Tix Sold: 7,000
MBB Tix Sold: 3,000
Enrollment: 29,000
Student Athletic Fee: $40

At the assumed level, current football revenue is $875,000, and current MBB revenue from season tickets is $375,000, which is $1.25 million in ticket revenue. Assuming an enrollment of 29,000 students, a $40 athletic fee comes back at $1.16 million. The difference is $90,000 in the short term, BUT if attendance increases, some/maybe all of that amount will be offset in concessions/gameday shirts/etc. This doesn't include long term benefits of a possible relationship built with a future donor.

Now with explaining that to GSB...if I recall correctly, GSB allocated approximately $1.9 million last year, or about $65 per student in fees to the clubs, which I'd be shocked if more than 6,000-8,000 students are involved in (most of the "clubs" on campus are about 10 people), so they can't say squat about not wanting to charge students for something they may never use. Additionally, students passed the rec renovation bill, which pushed the activity fee north of $200 after being less than $50 previously, so it isn't completely unprecedented for students to approve such a measure.

In the end, the athletics department wins big, and roughly half of the students at Iowa State benefit. Just need to simply have students pick up tickets for each event so you don't get 15,000 students trying to show up for a football game (like they did for the Iowa wrestling meet two years ago).

Note: Quick calculation I did shows they could raise tuition by $40 and it would be a .006555% increase for in-state students.

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Why does Texas even charge students for tickets? Might as well just give em out for free with a $90 million athletic budget or whatever they have.

motorCYcle

Jun 18, 2008
Ames, Iowa
$125 Football
$125 Men's Basketball
$10 Service Charge.

Yeah, this is right. I just looked through my email and found this, which includes the Kansas City game, the football T-shirt, and the $30 charge for SAA/CA. So this is the total with all the options included.

Student Season Tickets
Season Student Football $145.00
Season Student Men's $125.00
Student Game Day T-Shirt $7.00
Student Ticket Fee $10.00
SAA/CA Membership: $30.00
TOTAL: $317.00

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
What I think they should do is just add it on automatically to the basketball ticket price. I'm not sure on the exact number of student tickets we sell but I think its around 4000. If 4000 students by tickets and 2000 buy cyclone alley, and than the other 2000 people complain about how they can't sit in the lower level. How about just making the entire student section cyclone alley but get rid of it as an add on. Just raise the student ticket price by $15, and that money goes to run cyclone alley. I think that would get rid of people who buy tickets but never come to games because they can't sit close.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
I agree with you here, we pay for SAA but don't get much out of it. There is no reason that students should have to pay for that garbage.

I agree that the mandatory pairing is ridiculous. Students should be able to choose which group they deem valuable-enough to pay money.

Personally, I've never gotten anything useful from CA (yes, I have the shirts, but everyone and their dog gives away free shirts in college anyway so I don't consider it a tangible/worthwhile benefit of CA), but I have made good use of my SAA discounts (admittedly, not until the very end of my undergrad and when I lived a ways from campus).

I also don't attend MBB games (never been a big basketball person and as such $120+ for tickets is too rich for my blood) so I don't have to deal with the CA shenanigans at the games. I enjoy the lower seating at WBB games, but try to hang back a few rows in deference to the students who felt the $30 for CA was worth it.

In regards to the MBB student ticket prices (again, I don't buy them), I think that the prices are acceptable. If you consider the cost of comparable seating in Hilton, the students are getting a good deal.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Just my opinion but I think ALL Students should just show their student ID and be let in all games for FREE!!!!

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
The only complaints I have for cyclone alley is it paired it's membership with the SAA. The last two years I have just got the balcony corners and ignored the cyclone alley option. They need to do away with the same t-shirt rule every game. Finally, last complaint cyclone alley just goes for student orientation and really market it toward incoming freshman. So everbody that buys into cyclone alley for the most part are your fair weather fans. You would be surprised at the amount of students that don't even want to bother with cyclone alley. Most of my friends, seniors have tickets, but none of us have Cyclone alley.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Just my opinion but I think ALL Students should just show their student ID and be let in all games for FREE!!!!

I agree but I would put "FREE" in quotations. I think if they upped the fees to spread out the cost among all of the students (I am a grad student so I would also be bearing this cost) the AD could get as much money (or possibly more) and also have increased attendance.

I could see some problems with this though:

1. On really big Football and Basketball games students would probably have to be turned away once the sections are filled up. You could possibly do overflow for football games onto the hillside.

2. Less motivation to go to less exciting match-ups without actually having purchased the tickets, but this is pretty much happening anyway...

isucy1234

Apr 2, 2009
I could see some problems with this though:

1. On really big Football and Basketball games students would probably have to be turned away once the sections are filled up. You could possibly do overflow for football games onto the hillside.

Sounds like a pretty good problem to have.