STUDENT CHANT

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What a great day and fun atmosphere. But am I the only one that cringes when our student section chants:

F**k KU ( or whoever we’re playing ) and

You suck D**k ???

We had a 8 year old boy sitting beside us with his father and he was as uncomfortable as it gets. Is the vulgarity necessary?
I’ve been annoyed by this for 15 years. Ain’t changing unfortunately.

caulkasian

Dec 26, 2018
Could always do the chants in a football singsong way or in a foreign language to give them a veneer of learnedness?

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
Can’t remember which pod, but Blum recalled going to Hilton as a kid and hearing a guy cussing out Norm Stewart.

I’m sure it sucks as a parent, but this has been going on for a while.
And trying to tell college students not to do it would probably just make them do it more.

They tried to stop the "you suck" after the intro claps at one point iirc (which honestly I still prefer without because it misses the point of the claps) but that clearly didn't work
To me, the 5 claps was a hell of a tradition that was fun, respectful, but helped establish the atmosphere of the game, and fun. Adding "you suck" frustrates me, as Cyched said, because it pretty much blows away all of that with frankly, stupidity. But nuance isnt a big thing for a student fan base, and I understand it. But hey, we beat the Jayhawks anyway.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Ever heard your kids play video game? Ever heard your kids talk to there friends? I am not talking College kids. I am talking younger. I have a Freshmen at ISU this year. He was sitting by us in the balcony yesterday so was not swearing but would guess he would have been if in the Student Section. We wen't to dinner after than took some stuff up to his dorm room. We were there maybe 10 minutes I heard the Fbomb 4 or 5 times in the hallway while there. I was a student from 91-95 went to every game football and basketball and we were no different. I would say Hilton in general is more Tame now than then. To be honest I do not care about it, it does not bother me. My son swears to much, he is a great guy, 4.3 GPA in High School, was on the ISU Dean's list his first semester with a 3.9. So to me he can swear all he wants as long as he is a good person and a good student.
Who is this “we“ you refer to? I resemble that remark and was likely in the group. See what happened was, we were on our way to the Bingo Parlor at the YMCA when it all got fouled up.

FWIW, I remember my brother telling me about the 5 claps (nothing at the end) and thinking that is smart, clever, and respectful. After 5 claps it is game on.

As for the the student section in recent memory, what I like to remember will be how viral the following things have gone:
1. the cell phones on Saturday
2. Marcus Smart flop

Those things were next level creative and didn't involve any vulgarities.
Can we get rid of the FBombs or other things? No, but it would be nice if it was used more strategically as opposed to as a volume play if that makes sense.

Reactions: Jnecker4cy

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
To me, the 5 claps was a hell of a tradition that was fun, respectful, but helped establish the atmosphere of the game, and fun. Adding "you suck" frustrates me, as Cyched said, because it pretty much blows away all of that with frankly, stupidity. But nuance isnt a big thing for a student fan base, and I understand it. But hey, we beat the Jayhawks anyway.
Why bother with 5 claps? Nothing special about it anymore if you have to add “you suck”

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Wait, there was a time when the students didn't say "you suck" at the end of the claps? And the claps were supposed to mean something on their own? Can someone fill me in on what made this clever?

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Wait, there was a time when the students didn't say "you suck" at the end of the claps? And the claps were supposed to mean something on their own? Can someone fill me in on what made this clever?
yes, some historian can correct me on the timing, but I think the tradition started sometime in the early to mid-80s. During intros, the opposing player got 5 claps, no more. move on to the next guy. It was a bit of a bare minimum show of respect for the opponent, but that was where it ended. i don't recall the "you suck" being added until after 1994 when I moved.
What was clever about it was it was very distinct to Hilton and no one did it. People yell stuff like "you suck" in every arena in America. MIZZOU had the Antlers which had become infamous for being jerks (see Jeff Grayer story), and I don't think anyone wanted to be compared to them.
I bet if we didn't yell "you suck" all the time, a guy like Fran Fraschilla would have picked up on "five claps" as part of the Magic.

It has been a while and I drink, but that was my recollection.

the toothpaste is out of the tube, no going back now.

Last edited:

caulkasian

Dec 26, 2018
A singsong taunt in the British footballing tradition, to the tune of Addams Family

We're looking in ya huddle
Jerome Tang, m*****f*****
stay in ya box, c***s*****
Corn is better than wheat
Da-da-dada *clap clap*

• Funny
Reactions: drlove

Help Support Us

Become a patron