Strengths

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
While this could be a long year, I truly believe we aren't too far from being a .500 team.

Obviously, our offensive play calling was terrible last night and against UNI. But we've found a legitimate deep threat in Bundrage. If Messingham pulls his head out of his *** (or we have somebody else call the plays), I see no reason why we can't beat Tulsa, Kansas, and Texas at least.

Our defense was solid last night. They played well enough for us to win, and that's the bottom line when you're looking at the success of a unit. Did they perform well enough to earn a victory? Last night, the defense did their job.

Also, I think our special teams did well. We had two pretty good kick returns, and Jarvis West did okay in the PR game. The problem is, WHY IS JARVIS WEST RETURNING PUNTS AND NOT AARON WIMBERLY? Wimberly is the closest thing to Tavon Austin we can get our hands on, and it's a shame to see him not get touches.

Bottom line: the offense is WAY too inconsistent right now, but I'd like to think there will soon be changes at OC or at least with who is calling the plays, unless Messingham decides to throw the ball across the middle and down the field more.

I'm still hoping for 3-4 wins. Basically, I want to do well enough to keep Rhoads, Lazard, Tommy Mister, etc. and still find a way to get rid of Messingham and get someone more aggressive calling the shots.

matty74

Dec 31, 2010
Play calling is not what is killing the offense.

The lack of a run game and BCS level depth on the OL

The DL needs a lot of work too or the LBs will wear down midway through the season.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Not sure really. We are weak at most positions. The defense could not stop the run, I'm convinced that a high school running back could run through our defensive line. Rodney Coe doesn't play like a 300 lb defensive lineman, he seems weak, gets pushed around. His speed is good though and can chase down the running back but that doesn't do much good when the rb is already 7 yards up field.

Kirby is usually a bright spot. Bundrage had a great game, but Iowa's secondary is horrid and we still couldn't score on them despite some pity touchdowns late that really didn't matter. Our O-line couldn't block a tree, they are absolutely horrible. Defense will be okay, Luke Knott has a bright future and Wally makes adjustments.

Cannot wait for Messingham to go. He sucks bad, my god the whole entire game must be scripted from the beginning? He cannot read a defense and make appropriate calls. Rhoads really screwed the pooch with that hire.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Now that my anger is subsiding a bit, you're right. I hate the "what if" game, but if we had taken the field goal to end the half we'd have had 3 on the board and would have taken 3 off of UoI's score. We're better than what we're representing right now. I think we salvage 5 wins, and hope for 6.

FanatiClone

Sep 26, 2012
wherever i go, there i am
While this could be a long year, I truly believe we aren't too far from being a .500 team.

Obviously, our offensive play calling was terrible last night and against UNI. But we've found a legitimate deep threat in Bundrage. If Messingham pulls his head out of his *** (or we have somebody else call the plays), I see no reason why we can't beat Tulsa, Kansas, and Texas at least.

Our defense was solid last night. They played well enough for us to win, and that's the bottom line when you're looking at the success of a unit. Did they perform well enough to earn a victory? Last night, the defense did their job.

Also, I think our special teams did well. We had two pretty good kick returns, and Jarvis West did okay in the PR game. The problem is, WHY IS JARVIS WEST RETURNING PUNTS AND NOT AARON WIMBERLY? Wimberly is the closest thing to Tavon Austin we can get our hands on, and it's a shame to see him not get touches.

Bottom line: the offense is WAY too inconsistent right now, but I'd like to think there will soon be changes at OC or at least with who is calling the plays, unless Messingham decides to throw the ball across the middle and down the field more.

I'm still hoping for 3-4 wins. Basically, I want to do well enough to keep Rhoads, Lazard, Tommy Mister, etc. and still find a way to get rid of Messingham and get someone more aggressive calling the shots.

i would throw TCU in there as well. Gotta be able to score points to win and TCU's O looks pretty anemic as well.

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
Play calling is not what is killing the offense.

The lack of a run game and BCS level depth on the OL

This. If you can't run the ball for 3 yards two out of three times, you're going to have problems. How much of that is attributable to coaching if, of course, fair game, but Mess is calling a game with one hand tied behind his back. We all hated Herman 10 times we did Mess and he's now averaging about 85 points a game with Ohio State.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
This. If you can't run the ball for 3 yards two out of three times, you're going to have problems. How much of that is attributable to coaching if, of course, fair game, but Mess is calling a game with one hand tied behind his back. We all hated Herman 10 times we did Mess and he's now averaging about 85 points a game with Ohio State.

Your right, Tom Herman is why the OSU offense is so good and when newspapers write articles about the Buckeyes they credit Herman.

Oh wait... Not they don't Understanding Urban Meyer: The Ohio State coach and his Buckeyes had so much fun on offense, they wanted to play another quarter | cleveland.com

In case you don't want to read it is about some guy who is kinda of an offensive wizard named Urban Meyer.

LawyerClone

Jul 28, 2012
I don't think you read the article you linked to.

Herman has play calling responsibilities, agreed?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I don't think you read the article you linked to.

Herman has play calling responsibilities, agreed?

I did read that. But Herman is calling plays from an offense that isn't his. Herman could call plays, He is better than Mess that is for sure. But we didn't score points then. Hell I bet Mess could put up points in Meyer;s offense... Maybe