Stock up on your Templeton Rye

jkeppy

Apr 12, 2006
Bettendorf, IA
It just has to be months. There is no way a business would be dumb enough to not distill for years.

I guess some of y'all didn't see my post from a few days back.
Here ya go:
Originally Posted by jkeppy
"Here's the word, straight from the still.
It takes about 1.5 yrs, start to finish, for Templeton to hit the shelves.
Being a relatively new player in the whiskey market, it's rather difficult to forecast out the product demand, and TR's seen a surge which is great for them, but will also cause a 1 to 2 month "blip" in supply. The shelves won't be FULLY restocked until about mid-June.
They went through a similar blip about a year ago.
Again, a good problem to have."

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
5e675765f4dd152f.jpg

Is that picture taken from Harlans in Story City?

hawkeye_t

Apr 24, 2006
ID via PA via ME via IA
I guess some of y'all didn't see my post from a few days back.
Here ya go:
Originally Posted by jkeppy
"Here's the word, straight from the still.
It takes about 1.5 yrs, start to finish, for Templeton to hit the shelves.
Being a relatively new player in the whiskey market, it's rather difficult to forecast out the product demand, and TR's seen a surge which is great for them, but will also cause a 1 to 2 month "blip" in supply. The shelves won't be FULLY restocked until about mid-June.
They went through a similar blip about a year ago.
Again, a good problem to have."

That is pretty close to the situation. It is not that there was no product distilled in any years, it was just that a set amount was distilled each year. If you think of this year as X, X-5 was when it was distilled and put in a barrel. They basically distilled and barreled the same amount each year the first 3-4 years which is what you have seen on the shelf so far and will continue to see for the next approximately 2 years. They ramped up the volume about 2-3 years ago that is in barrels and will be bottled in the next 2-3 years. In the meantime, TR sends the same volume of cases to the State to be distributed every month.

BTW, not all of the folks involved in TR are Hawkeye fans. There are a couple of Cyclones involved as well.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
FOUND SOME!!

Cyclone Liquors in Ames has several bottles. I talked to the owner while there to get the scoop. He said they were dry for about a month but on Friday they got a moderate shipment. He gave me the impression that this latest shipment won't last too long but he wasn't worried as he'll be expecting more within a matter of weeks.

I also told him that just yesterday I was at HyVee wine and spirits (west) and they were not only out, but said they hadn't had it for months and didn't plan to for at least 2-3 months.

I told him "rumor has it there's an overall shortage". He replied "well, you COULD be right. I'll sell you several bottles today if you'd like!:wink:"

Uh, just one for me today, thanks. By the way, $34.99 ($5 cheaper than the story city store in a previous post.)

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I'm tempted to go buy out the local liquor store and see how much you guys will pay for it...

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
They had it in stock up here in Waterloo this week. $35 a bottle. The store people told me it comes in periodically and sells out quick.

It looks to me like all the Whisky prices have gone up lately. Knob Creek which I really like is now $32 and you used to be able to buy that under $30 pretty easy.

Call me silly, but I'm not going to pay that much for a bottle of Whisky. The same store was running a sale on Sailor Jerry Spiced rum and I can buy a bottle for $12.99. It's darn good rum and I can buy 3 bottles of it for what one bottle of Templeton Rye would cost me.

Last edited:

bugs4cy

Jun 7, 2009
Story County
Some Fareway stores now have a liquor isle. While traipsing through the Nevada Fareway this weekend, saw several bottles on the shelf. Sorry, I did not pay attention to the price.

We also have a couple of bottles of the 'real stuff'. How do you get them? You have to know someone that knows someone.

st8phan

Nov 7, 2007
Columbia
They had it in stock up here in Waterloo this week. $35 a bottle. The store people told me it comes in periodically and sells out quick.

It looks to me like all the Whisky prices have gone up lately. Knob Creek which I really like is now $32 and you used to be able to buy that under $30 pretty easy.

Call me silly, but I'm not going to pay that much for a bottle of Whisky. The same store was running a sale on Sailor Jerry Spiced rum and I can buy a bottle for $12.99. It's darn good rum and I can buy 3 bottles of it for what one bottle of Templeton Rye would cost me.

Please don't compare Sailor Jerry spiced run to Templeton Rye...

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Sailor Jerry is some great stuff. But rum is rum and whiskey is whiskey.

I was in Centerville last weekend and saw 2 bottles of TR on the shelf went back a few hours later and they were gone. Must be some goooood stuff.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007

That's sort of like saying I can get hammered off a couple 40s of Old English 800 for way less than a 4 pack of Dogfishhead 90 Minute IPA

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Oh I know what good Whisky tastes like.

I'm just saying the Rum is going to do the same job at 1/3 the price and it goes down darn smooth...

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Spot on - any spiced rum is like a little kid riding a bike with training wheels before he moves on to the real thing.

Actually Sailors Jerry is like riding a Ninja, where as the Templeton Rye is like an old Harley. Different strokes for different folks.

Help Support Us

Become a patron