Stock up on your Templeton Rye

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I just spoke with my local grocer and he said that I need to buy all the eggs I can get my hands on. Yes, I speak with the store manager of Hy-Vee everytime I go to the store. I was so concerned I went to Dahls and just happen to bump into to the store manager who happened to mention I need to buy all the eggs I can get my hands on.

Everyone needs to go buy eggs and lots of them!!!! I honestly have not other agenda other than letting people know that if you don't get eggs now...you may never see them again.

I understand your point. However, when you enter two different competing establishments and they both have gaping holes where a popular product usually sits, something is going on. I would love for someone to prove to me the existence of a Hy-Vee/John's Grocery Templeton Rye shortage conspiracy that has taken over the Iowa City area.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I SINCERELY doubt that you were drinking Westvleteren. Maybe one of the other trappist/abbey beers that sound like Westvleteren.

If Red Monk is selling Westvleteren, they aren't doing it legally.

My bad, you're right. it was Rochefort 8 & 10. The number thing threw me off.

chicagoCy

Mar 25, 2006
I understand your point. However, when you enter two different competing establishments and they both have gaping holes where a popular product usually sits, something is going on. I would love for someone to prove to me the existence of a Hy-Vee/John's Grocery Templeton Rye shortage conspiracy that has taken over the Iowa City area.

I spoke with a good friend that lives in iowa ****ty yesterday and TR happens to be his drink of choice. he said that he hasn't been able to find much around there in the past 2 months, and has stocked up on 2 cases and is loading up whenever he can to be safe. Even making a drive to des moines this weekend to load up at Costco, that's hardcore. CycloneYoda is correct - is it any wonder he has Yoda in his name?

Last edited by a moderator:

jkeppy

Apr 12, 2006
Bettendorf, IA
My buddy's uncle is the owner of TR. I'll ask him about any "shortage" tonight.

BTW, just so you guys are in the know, TR's made by Hawk fans.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
one word.... absinthe

the kind you can get in the US isnt as potent as the varieties in europe but still goood.... but it is $53 a bottle at hy-vee which is the only place ive seen it

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Well, mulling over this a little more last night, I'm not doubting that Templeton Rye doesn't have a shortage right now. That could very well be the case. And easy to explain as what they have available now, was produced and barreled five years ago. A 3 year shortage makes no sense at all though. Unless 2 years ago they didn't think they were going to make it as a business and stopped production. Being as it's aged for five years, it wouldn't make any sense for a 3 year drought. Why didn't they distill any liquor 2 years ago? or 3 or 4.

I'm not claiming the liquor Dept. guy is lying to you, I just wouldn't quite believe his whole story. Unless there was something that happened 2,3 and 4 years ago to ruin the entire years worth of whiskey.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Well, mulling over this a little more last night, I'm not doubting that Templeton Rye doesn't have a shortage right now. That could very well be the case. And easy to explain as what they have available now, was produced and barreled five years ago. A 3 year shortage makes no sense at all though. Unless 2 years ago they didn't think they were going to make it as a business and stopped production. Being as it's aged for five years, it wouldn't make any sense for a 3 year drought. Why didn't they distill any liquor 2 years ago? or 3 or 4.

I'm not claiming the liquor Dept. guy is lying to you, I just wouldn't quite believe his whole story. Unless there was something that happened 2,3 and 4 years ago to ruin the entire years worth of whiskey.

I think the point was that they didn't anticipate the growth of their business.... so it will be scarce for a while, not completely unavailable

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA

I asked a bartender about the "shortage" last night and she laughed and said, "Never heard anything like that."

I'll be interested to hear what is true.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I asked a bartender about the "shortage" last night and she laughed and said, "Never heard anything like that."

I'll be interested to hear what is true.

I would not take a bartender's word over somebody who actually does the ordering.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Checked out two more liquor stores today. None on the shelves. This is one doozy of a conspiracy.

jkeppy

Apr 12, 2006
Bettendorf, IA

Here's the word, straight from the still.
It takes about 1.5 yrs, start to finish, for Templeton to hit the shelves.
Being a relatively new player in the whiskey market, it's rather difficult to forecast out the product demand, and TR's seen a surge which is great for them, but will also cause a 1 to 2 month "blip" in supply. The shelves won't be FULLY restocked until about mid-June.
They went through a similar blip about a year ago.
Again, a good problem to have.
If you can't locate enough to hold you over, I have a couple unopened bottles availble to the highest bidder.:wink:

Reactions: CycloneYoda

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
one word.... absinthe

the kind you can get in the US isnt as potent as the varieties in europe but still goood.... but it is $53 a bottle at hy-vee which is the only place ive seen it

Cyclone Liquors in Ames has absinthe, at least one brand.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Being a relatively new player in the whiskey market, it's rather difficult to forecast out the product demand, and TR's seen a surge which is great for them, but will also cause a 1 to 2 month "blip" in supply. The shelves won't be FULLY restocked until about mid-June.
If you can't locate enough to hold you over, I have a couple unopened bottles availble to the highest bidder.:wink:

Thanks for the info.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Was at the SuperTarget in Urbandale over lunch.

None there, not even a spot for it.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
My bad, you're right. it was Rochefort 8 & 10. The number thing threw me off.

Rochefort is outstanding beer, no doubt about that. #10 was my favorite for a very long time, though I find #8 a bit more drinkable.

I was hoping you were right, because trying Westvleteren is one of the things on my list of things to do before I die.

The only way to get it legitimately is to pick it up from the monastery in Belgium. They don't always have all their beers available, but when they do become available they will say (I think on the "beer phone" message) what they have available. Before you can go there to get it, however, you have to phone in an order to them. You then have to go there and pick it up (and pay them, of course).

You are limited to just two cases at a time, and just one order per month per person.

You are also not supposed to resell it. They really REALLY don't want people re-selling their beer.

cyko42

Feb 7, 2007
Decatur, IL

This has happened before, I worked at Hy-vee in ames and no one could get it for a couple of months, I think I ask our liquor guy everyday if he had heard anything. Luckly I have a couple of bottles that I have stashed away, I bought a lot when I moved to decatur last year to make sure I had a supply when ever I wanted some. THe last time We went through the shortage I had a roommate that mooched almost a whole bottle from me, needless to say I was not happy.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
Sorry if this has been asked already - will the shortage last for a matter of a few months or for more like a few years???

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron