Stillwater Advice For Tailgating, Food and Drinks

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
My college buddies and I are traveling down to Stillwater next weekend for the OSU vs ISU game which starts at 11 am. With that said, we've got a hotel in town and tickets to the game, but don't know much of anything beyond that.

First of all, we've got an RV and are looking for a good place to tailgate, does anyone have any advice on a good parking lot which accomodates RVs and maybe has Cyclone fans around?

Secondly, we'll be looking for a good place to grab some food and drinks in Stillwater both Friday night and Saturday night, since the game is so early. Any good advice on this as well? Thanks.

alars

Dec 9, 2011
Chicago
Definitely hit up Eskimo Joe's before the game. It's a large bar with a patio too and has great chili cheese fries. OKST fans were really nice to us too when we went down for the last game there (was also 11am).

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Definitely hit up Eskimo Joe's before the game. It's a large bar with a patio too and has great chili cheese fries. OKST fans were really nice to us too when we went down for the last game there (was also 11am).

The problem with that is that before the game, we'll only be concerned with finding a good tailgating spot, especially with it being an 11 am game (we'll be up early). As for going out, we are looking mostly for good Friday and Saturday night options. Thanks for the advice though.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Eskimo Joes is 2 minutes from Stadium. We went the year after we kept them out of National Title game and the fans were great. Can honestly say I did not hear a negative comment all day.

Do you already have hotel rooms because they are scarce in Stillwater? If you need some PM me.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Eskimo Joes is 2 minutes from Stadium. We went the year after we kept them out of National Title game and the fans were great. Can honestly say I did not hear a negative comment all day.

Do you already have hotel rooms because they are scarce in Stillwater? If you need some PM me.

We are good on hotel rooms. We are staying at the Motel 6 since they were the last 3 rooms available in all of Stillwater when we booked them. While it isn't the Hilton, it will get the job done and was something like only $76/night or something.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Is Eskimo Joes in their quote/unquote campustown area or is that someplace else? I'm looking at their website right now.

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
As far as tailgating with an RV, Good luck. Their tailgating situation is similar to Lincoln, very spread out and not a lot of parking. We parked in a lot next to a baseball field and park a few blocks from the stadium the last time we were down there. We showed up at about 7am for 11am kick and there was about no one tailgating. The lot by the park ended up being mostly state fans tailgating, I doubt as many will make the trip this year (this was the year after we beat them at home)

As far as bars down there, we only went to Outlaws after the game, bar is huge and the fans there are extremely friendly, don't think Ames Outlaws when I say that, it is a really nice bar down there.

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
Parking lot behind McAllisters Deli on E Hall of Fame Ave is the lot we parked in for free. Depending on how big your RV is I'd say you could easily get into that place if you show up early.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I found the parking diagram the Athletics department puts out there and I'd have to say it is a complete joke:
http://www.okstateposse.com/documents/2014-POSSE-football-parking-web.pdf

As for official university parking, it looks to be only a few lots scattered sparsely throughout campus and all are only for bigtime donors. Yes, just from the looks of the map, it reminds me of Linoln some as well. If anything, it makes me appreciate our parking at JTS much more.

As for where we will end up going for tailgating with our RV, I'm still up for advice :) We'll probably swing by that McCallisters to see how that looks. We don't necessarily care about free, but rather just a good spot, preferably with other Cyclone fans.

Last edited:

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
We parked at a church for like $5 when we went down 2yrs ago. Only people tailgating in that lot were ISU fans. Nobody around us got it when I played "Fever Dog", so I went right back to JW on the pre game show (Cyclones app on my iPhone, worked well after I figured out that I had to pay an additional $5 for mobile access...)

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
We parked at a church for like $5 when we went down 2yrs ago. Only people tailgating in that lot were ISU fans. Nobody around us got it when I played "Fever Dog", so I went right back to JW on the pre game show (Cyclones app on my iPhone, worked well after I figured out that I had to pay an additional $5 for mobile access...)

Which church parking lot is that?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Might have to do what we did in Manhattan last year. Just drive around and look for someone saying you can park on their land for 10-20 bucks ect.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Which church parking lot is that?

Base on my Google Map searching prowess... It was the Stillwater Church of C.h.r.i.s.t, 812 N Duck St. Five to six blocks from the stadium. Vistors' section was in the NE corner, IRRC, the first gates we saw were closest to our seats.

Last edited:

notengonacho1

Jun 5, 2006
Dallas, TX
Cafe 88 has great asian food and is just down the street from the stadium and Eskimo Joes. Hideaway Pizza is also in that area right by campus. For drinks just go to the strip (S Washington St) just south of campus. Has a bunch of bars. There's also Stonewall Tavern which is right behind Eskimo Joes. It's pretty divey but has a bunch of outdoor seating and usually live music on the weekends. Further away from campus on Main St there's Finnegans Pub which has a good beer selection.

Eskimo Joes is the Hickory park of Stillwater. It will be crazy packed on gameday.

Last edited:

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
The lot behind McAllisters was all Cyclones tailgating 2 years ago, was pretty fun. I do suggest leaving there with a few beers and wandering towards the donor lots and one of the streets in particular there has tents and tailgating down along the road. They don't get after it early or have many tailgaters in the donor lots, but the ones that do have some pretty impressive setups and they were very generous, we were invited on to a pretty nice Prevost for a few cold ones.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I found the parking diagram the Athletics department puts out there and I'd have to say it is a complete joke:
http://www.okstateposse.com/documents/2014-POSSE-football-parking-web.pdf

As for official university parking, it looks to be only a few lots scattered sparsely throughout campus and all are only for bigtime donors. Yes, just from the looks of the map, it reminds me of Linoln some as well. If anything, it makes me appreciate our parking at JTS much more.

As for where we will end up going for tailgating with our RV, I'm still up for advice :) We'll probably swing by that McCallisters to see how that looks. We don't necessarily care about free, but rather just a good spot, preferably with other Cyclone fans.
That map is definitely a joke. I've been trying to figure out where to park. Looks like I'll try McAllisters or the church parking lot.

Cyked15

Jan 27, 2012
That map is definitely a joke. I've been trying to figure out where to park. Looks like I'll try McAllisters or the church parking lot.

This lot is separated by retaining wall from McAllisters lot, you'll want to turn off of North Main into the lot driveway. I tried to show it on google maps, we will see if it works.

They had their homecoming parade going down north main before the game 2 years ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x87b109f9eb99af23:0x8c91da162010d199

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
This lot is separated by retaining wall from McAllisters lot, you'll want to turn off of North Main into the lot driveway. I tried to show it on google maps, we will see if it works.

They had their homecoming parade going down north main before the game 2 years ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...2!3m1!1s0x87b109f9eb99af23:0x8c91da162010d199

Judging by the satellite map, that looks like a decent parking lot. That may be what we end up shooting for. We'd welcome any Cyclone fans to join us if they'd like as well. Can't guarantee that is where we'll end up, but definitely a place we'll check out and consider hard.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron