Steakhouses of Iowa

Meinhardt4ISU

Oct 6, 2009
NEVADA
WOW! Fanatics how can you be asked a question like this and not say the Big Steer in Altoona. Great people own the place, nice enviroment, and they know how to cook a Rare Steak. Might I suggest you order a Polar Bear after your meal. (milkshake with amaretto and peices of strawberry. ):notworthy:

It's The place I would go and I know alittle better then these yahoos above me. I raise the wonderful animals. GO BEEF!

There are not alot of things better on this earth then a perfectly grilled steak.

Reactions: Wesley

Monkey

Mar 29, 2010
No, she is not my wife although once in a great while on the road for business I get some privileges.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
I was flying home from Kazistan to Des Moines and I grabbed the airline mag and looked for the rating of steakhouses I could go to that night. Alas, there was no Iowa steakhouse listing and I was lost as to where to go.

Can a CF fan help me out? :confused:

If you are flying home to Des Moines how do you not know where the good steak houses are?

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
Rusty Duck in Dexter, well worth the drive. Nicks in WDM, extremely tender!

crazyclone21

Mar 25, 2006
Le Mars, IA
I know its far from all of you in Central Iowa, but if you get to the northwest corner of the state, Archie's in Le Mars is worth a visit. Delicious hand cut steaks voted as Rachel Ray's #2 steak house in the U.S. and CNN's top 5 in the world. Ask for the Benny Wycher (sp?) Not on the menu but a delicious 22-24 oz. tenderloin/filet mignon cut. Its about the size of a roast and delicious! Try it out sometime!

68clone

Apr 21, 2006
I like Skips on Fleur Drive for their ribeye, and Greenbriar in Johnston for their ribeye with gunmetal crust.

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
801 Grand as they dry age their steaks, but if she likes seafood you might hit Splash.

The chef at Sbrocco cooked the best steak I've had in my life when he had his own restaurant Sage, so might be worth passing by their to see if they have it on the menu. It was served with Lobster Risotto. Computer is getting wet from drool!

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I'm glad people are proud of their local steakhouses, but how helpful is naming some place 75 miles away from DM...or even Ames, for that matter? :confused: The dude is going to be in the largest city in an agricultural state...don't you think he should be able to find a steakhouse without driving 1/2 way across Iowa?

801 Steak and Chop (if you've got the budget) is the best steak in town. They also have great seafood (flown in fresh). If you want to go more modest, Chicago Speakeasy on Euclid is very good as well.

Last edited:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
IMO Rubes has went downhill the last 10 years or so. That Place in Conrad is the best around with unbelievably low prices.

I second that.. That Place is freaking awesome. Be sure to hit the Beaman Tap on your way home.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Home is actually Chicago; I had an appointment at Principal and that is what I meant.

If you're appointment is in the big building, then you might as well go to 801, being that it's located at the top of the big building.

Nice view of the town which may entitle you to some of those fringe benefits. :wink:

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I'm glad people are proud of their local steakhouses, but how helpful is naming some place 75 miles away from DM...or even Ames, for that matter? :confused: The dude is going to be in the largest city in an agricultural state...don't you think he should be able to find a steakhouse without driving 1/2 way across Iowa?.

I've got reservations at Peter Luger's in Brooklyn for April 28th when my brother is in town. Supposed to be the best steak in the country, but we'll see. I've been waiting for 6 years to go to this place. (and yes I'm aware it's not in Iowa, but it's still good info if anyone ever visits NYC)