Stats

booyaa187

Aug 23, 2006
A couple interesting stats

With Jiri, Brakens and Clark on the team I would not have guessed that Diante Garrett would lead the team in FT attempts at this point with 27. He also leads the team with steals with 11. Is there a legit reason as to why he is not the starter?

Sean Haluska is 0-17 from 3 point range. Nowhere to go but up. On a more positive note, he leads the team in ast/to ratio at 2.1 and is second on the team in assists.

Clayton Vette never missed a field goal attempt as a Cyclone. (And never will)

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I would assume the reason why Garrett doesn't start is because coach wants him to get a feel for the game from the bench and give him instructions/insight before he gets into the game. Or ... coach just thinks he isn't as good as the starting players at this point in the season.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
DG leads the team in FT attempts because he drives to the basket almost every trip down the floor! That is one of DG faults as a PG, is he is looking to score more than he is looking to pass to his open teammates.

In regards to steals, DG is the only PG who actually plays defense on the team. And the laid back defense we run makes it hard for players who aren't PG's to get many steals.

As to why he's not starting....I don't think anyone (including the coaches) have a logical explanation for that!

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
DG leads the team in FT attempts because he drives to the basket almost every trip down the floor! That is one of DG faults as a PG, is he is looking to score more than he is looking to pass to his open teammates.

In regards to steals, DG is the only PG who actually plays defense on the team. And the laid back defense we run makes it hard for players who aren't PG's to get many steals.

As to why he's not starting....I don't think anyone (including the coaches) have a logical explanation for that!

We need his energy off the bench maybe?? Say he starts and we need a change of pace, is Petersen going to provide that spark? I don't think so!! :no:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Just hope the 3 point missses are drawing iron so the rebounds bounce out long.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Hopefully Garrett doesn't start sending anyone messages on Myspace complaining about playing time and completely butchering the English language in the process.

Not that any former Cyclones ever did that..

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I just hope our last break gave some people a chance to get healthy. Diante can do some special things with the ball, but I think he needs to get comfortable. I would think if you told him "Diante, you're going to get 30 minutes tonight no matter what", he'd be more relaxed. But that's not an option.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
The staff appears to be trying to put DG in a position where he slowly builds confidence in himself and his game. He also avoids early foul trouble.

I could really care less who starts. Who's getting the most minutes? I really don't know.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
The staff appears to be trying to put DG in a position where he slowly builds confidence in himself and his game. He also avoids early foul trouble.

I could really care less who starts. Who's getting the most minutes? I really don't know.

Good post, on the season BP has significantly more minutes. I think 50-60.

But I think all can see that DG is getting more and more each game.

I fully expect he'll be the starter come start of the conference season, or soon thereafter.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Of course, we could easily have Buckley starting at PG next year, so who knows. As long as DG doesn't shoot anything longer than a layup...

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree that Garrett needs to learn how to pass out of the post better. He's great at penetrating. Absolutely fantastic at it. But the guy is a black hole when he gets into the paint, that ball absolutely does not leave his hand unless it's going at the rim.

If he could learn to kick out to guys like Peterson and Garrett, he would really be a huge asset to this team going into conference play.